Advice Please

There isn't much out there in the airline world right now even for qualified pilots. The majority of the industry is going backwards. Even if you got a job flyiing today there is no guarantee you would have it next year.

I have been flying for over ten years now and have yet to make it to the left seat or above 50K due to all the mergers, furloughs and downsizing. I however have been very fortunate and lucky to get to get where I am today without any lengthy furloughs.

If you are making 65K a year and do want to go for aviation full time and have a family I hope you have been banking as much as possible to offset the low FO pay the regionals are dishing out lately.

I had my first child while at a regional on low FO pay. If you budget correctly and spend only on the needs instead of the wants it can be done. It won't be easy but it is doable. Also take advantage of any government program in your area.

If you want it, you can get there with hard work.

Good Luck!

Also take advantage of any government program in your area.

Isn't it absurd that in this country we can give someone incredible responsibility for the lives of scores of people, yet they're compensated at a level that requires the assistance of "government programs". It's just sad, IMO. Greedy corporations taking advantage of our "dreams" to fly; of course we largely do it to ourselves by constantly underbiddng each other for flying jobs. Hell, some people will do it for free or even pay to do it; it hurts us all. Anyway, that's beyond the scope of this discussion.

Just remember that if you do go to work in this industry, you are simply a number to a corporation that won't think twice about throwing you on the street for the bottom line (unfortunately this is life; not unique to just aviation). But when you do start your family in 5 or so years (presumably there will be another hiring streak between now and then), and you're sitting in hotels most of the time, will it be worth it to you? even on 3rd year regional FO pay? Yea, money won't make you happy, but money does give you choices and enables a certain standard of living. If you're raking in enough dough, you could buy your own plane, and then fly for fun when, where, and however you want. In professional aviation, there's no job security, airlines furlough and go belly up all the time (and unfortunately, this is one industry where if this happens to you, you go back to square one on the todem pole regardless of your experience/qualifications), you're never more than one year from possibily being out of a medical, the FAA is always breathing down your neck, your ticket is always on the line, and you're pretty much told how to do every aspect of your job--and if that means getting up at 3:00 in the morning to work a 24-hour day (in my case) when you're 8 times zones from where you were yesterday, then so be it. Then again, as they say, it's "better than working for a living."

I know this sounds like a discouraging post, but I'm just trying to point out that it isn't always the glorious occupation that people invision it as, and I'm just trying to point out some realities. Unfortunately, it's hard to determine if it's the right lifestyle for you until you're already there living it. All I can say is to get perspectives from many different people and decide for yourself if it's what you want. I can say that I'd make the same decision again if I were fresh out of college and had nothing but a suitcase and a pilot's license to my name. But if I already had a job paying me $65K a year with the prospect of earning much more in the future (for example, like my best friend from college who got a degree in nuclear engineering--he wanted to fly too, but he had an issue with his medical and other opportunities surfaced that he decided to take advantage of; he has no regrets as there is currently a large demand and small supply of folks with this degree), I'd probably be foolish not to at least consider going that route and flying on the side for fun.

Bottom line--you only get to live once; do what you feel like will make you happy. At 23, you have plenty of time to figure it out so there's no need to rush in to making this critically important decision without due diligence. The right decision for me may not be the right decision for you, depending on what's most important to you. If you "hate" your current profession, then maybe the right thing is to consider something else. If aviation happens to be that "something else", just make sure you realize what you're getting yourself in to. It's a lifestyle unlike anything else that few people understand. If you're cool with that, then go for it!

If you are making good money in a sector that has a bright outlook, I think you would be foolish to leave it to go into a field whether the outlook is anything but bright. United is laying off thousands, and the other airlines are starting to follow suit. There's nothing to move up into right now, even if you were ready.

My advice: Stick with the profession you seem to be doing well at, work hard, build a life and a future for you and your family. Save, invest, and in 30 years you can retire, and perhaps start a flying career. You'd only have maybe 10 years to give to flying, buy believe me, that will be enough. Flying for a living may seem neat to those on the outside, but once you spent a little bit of time there, you learn very quickly that it is just a job; one that doesn't pay nearly well enough for the BS one has to put up with.

If I had it to do over again, that's what I would have done.

Instruct on the side and see how you like it. Build up some total time and save money so you can just buy the multi time. If you jumped ship right now it would be years before you approached 65k again.

Honestly if I were in your position I would just instruct for fun and keep making that money. Flight training is fun when you are the student. Lots of new and exciting things to learn plus you are always flying the airplane. I love to fly..but working as a pilot will not be much different than your current job. You said you, "sit at a laptop and explain things to people." CFI is the same thing just but the office view is better and you get paid a fraction of what you make right now.

On the other hand, you have something to fall back on incase you decide to just go for it.

Back