Advice on where to go?

Urp99

A little background on myself, I'm 45 years old and spent most of my life in general aviation maintenance. I enjoy what I do, but not enough to do it 40 hours a week, 52 weeks a year. Several years ago I decided to try to do more flying (I've been a pilot since I was 17, just did it recreationally), and got my commercial license. I've spent the last year and half flying skydivers, had a lot of fun and built to 1500 hours, but now it's time to do something more serious. I went and finished my instrument rating this fall (I know, I do things backwards sometimes), and multi-engine rating, and would like to find a position that is somewhat long term, pays a living wage, and allows me to use both my pilot and mechanic ratings. I've always been a GA guy, and don't have any desire to fly for the regionals or airlines.
I've been thinking seriously about moving to Alaska, I spent a summer driving around up there in an old Ford truck several years ago and have been wanting to go back, I think I'd be a good fit up there. I know there are several members here that live and work in Alaska, anybody care to comment on the feasibility of finding work and relocating there in December? Also, any input on operators that would be good to work for vs who to stay away from?
Other than that, any advice on where else in the world to go? I live in the Midwest right now, and flying jobs aren't that plentiful, I'm looking for someplace that has a more active flying community.

Move to Alaska.
That's the plan! I'm just debating whether I should attempt it now, or if I'd be better off waiting until spring.
It depends on what kind of flying you want to do, best bet is to come up and hand out resumes in person. And don’t tell anyone you are a mechanic! I kid, a little (ask @Roger Roger).
I'd love to be flying a Beaver or C-185 on floats, or landing on a sandbar somewhere, but I realize I'm not even remotely qualified for that. Realistically I'd be ok with anything, I think I'd be perfectly content starting out flying freight around in an old C-207 or PA-32, as long as there was room for advancement at some point in the future.
I try not to tell people I'm a mechanic, lol, but the resume would be missing a lot of years if I didn't include it!

That's the plan! I'm just debating whether I should attempt it now, or if I'd be better off waiting until spring.

I'd love to be flying a Beaver or C-185 on floats, or landing on a sandbar somewhere, but I realize I'm not even remotely qualified for that. Realistically I'd be ok with anything, I think I'd be perfectly content starting out flying freight around in an old C-207 or PA-32, as long as there was room for advancement at some point in the future.
I try not to tell people I'm a mechanic, lol, but the resume would be missing a lot of years if I didn't include it!
I’m still trying to figure out how to make flying a Cub pay 100k or so. Places off the top of my head that do wheels and floats; Lake Clark Air, Regal, Alaska Seaplanes. Many other options for flying a sled or 6.

I’m still trying to figure out how to make flying a Cub pay 100k or so. Places off the top of my head that do wheels and floats; Lake Clark Air, Regal, Alaska Seaplanes. Many other options for flying a sled or 6.
Hahahahaha, that would be a sweet deal! Lake Clark is on my list of places to check out, and I'll Google the other two, thanks. What are your thoughts on heading north now versus in the spring? I've no problem coming up without a job and knocking on doors, but I've got finite resources. I can make money down here, I hate to spend the winter eating ramen if the hiring doesn't start until spring.

Hahahahaha, that would be a sweet deal! Lake Clark is on my list of places to check out, and I'll Google the other two, thanks. What are your thoughts on heading north now versus in the spring? I've no problem coming up without a job and knocking on doors, but I've got finite resources. I can make money down here, I hate to spend the winter eating ramen if the hiring doesn't start until spring.
Not many places are hiring this time of year. Hageland is having a ground school soon I believe.

I’d suggest going up now, or after Christmas.... but be aware to eat better damn you might have to find a job at Home Depot in Juneau or Anchorage (is Kirk in Anchorage over Juneau for the winter).

Be ready to start whenever.

I flew up ~mid January to juneau, talked to 3-4 companies. All said come back in the spring. One called back 2 weeks later and I was breaking @Roger Roger ’s planes shortly after that.

Not many places are hiring this time of year. Hageland is having a ground school soon I believe.
That's kind of what I thought. I see Grant and Ravn posting ads all the time, and ACE to a lesser extent, but I'm not sure if they're hiring or just collecting resumes for the next class, which might be 2 or 3 months out.
I’d suggest going up now, or after Christmas.... but be aware to eat better damn you might have to find a job at Home Depot in Juneau or Anchorage (is Kirk in Anchorage over Juneau for the winter).

Be ready to start whenever.

I flew up ~mid January to juneau, talked to 3-4 companies. All said come back in the spring. One called back 2 weeks later and I was breaking @Roger Roger ’s planes shortly after that.
I've thought of this also, but round trip airline tickets, motel, and car rental for a week is going to run over a grand, more of I want to hit more than one city. I figure it's going to take $600 to $900 in gas to drive my truck up there, then I'm truly ready to start whenever.
How do you like Juneau? I'm really attracted to the Southeast, but I was initially planning on Anchorage because it seems to be the busiest area of the state with the most operators. My plan was to spend at least a year or two there learning the ropes and exploring the different parts of the state, and then, if I wanted to make a move, I'd have a better idea of where exactly I wanted to be and who the better operators are.

Back