Advice Needed...Back to School Thread

jhugz

Guppy gear swinger
Well with very little success of trying to find a flight instructing job I am throwing around the possibility of going back to school. Just a little background I am 20 years old and have a two year degree. I have the majority of my Gen Eds knocked out and am looking to finish up that four year degree. The problem is I really don't like much beside flying. A instate college just opened up an ATC program and I am debating about this. However is it worth it to do an ATC degree? If I fail an FAA Pilot Medical am I in trouble for an ATC Medical? Any other degree suggestions?

All advice appreciated in advance,

jhugz

(5:51AM so sorry if the grammar is terrible)

Do ATC if that interests you. I've found out the hard way about doing a degree program I don't really care about just to get the degree; it quickly becomes very tedious and frustrating. My point that I'm trying to make is that it's very important to do something you enjoy or at least are very passionate about.

Do ATC if that interests you. I've found out the hard way about doing a degree program I don't really care about just to get the degree; it quickly becomes very tedious and frustrating. My point that I'm trying to make is that it's very important to do something you enjoy or at least are very passionate about.

Thanks for the advice.

Well with very little success of trying to find a flight instructing job I am throwing around the possibility of going back to school. Just a little background I am 20 years old and have a two year degree. I have the majority of my Gen Eds knocked out and am looking to finish up that four year degree. The problem is I really don't like much beside flying. A instate college just opened up an ATC program and I am debating about this. However is it worth it to do an ATC degree? If I fail an FAA Pilot Medical am I in trouble for an ATC Medical? Any other degree suggestions?

jhugz

Dude, I'm in your shoes kinda, I'm halfway through UAA, 20, but I have a job. I thought long and hard about doing the pro pilot or atc program or whatever, however, the best bet is just to get a degree in something your interested in, and don't look back. Find a field outside aviation that you find fascinating and go for it, don't screw yourself by letting yourself become a one trick pony. You want to be versatile in case you do fail that medical one day, and a degree in ATC won't really give you the goods to make it in a competitive world. Study Math/Science/Physics/Engineering or one of the more complex social sciences and figure out a way to differentiate yourself from the rest of the workforce if this industry reallllllyyy goes tits up. Math is my major (though I want to move back to hawaii and study astronomy), there are however, plenty of choices. The airline job will come, college however, is kind of a pain to take care of and finish off.

-pat

If I fail an FAA Pilot Medical am I in trouble for an ATC Medical?

My understanding is that if you are unable to pass a Pilot Medical, you also will be in trouble for ATC. But you may want to check the Aviation medical forum to be sure.

As for your major choice - do what you can to find something remotely interesting. I know a lot of colleges have career councelling centers that may be able to help you pick somthing by analyzing your interests, strengths/weaknesses, etc.

jhugz

i would watch out with Lewis...

Its not Lewis...its Kent State University in Ohio

ahhh, outta chi town?
well i've heard some great reviews about Kent, so if ATC is an interest of yours, go for it, youll love it!

im contemplating going to UND for ATC and Aviation Business, but im thinking SIUC for Avation Matenance and Business would be cheaper.

but ATC is great, and it'll show you who we rely on as pilots.

it's better than this rain snow #### here

haha in the pireps today there was one by multiple a/c for moderate to severe icing from the surface to 7k over ord haha

Have you had to shovel an airplane out of the snow that was plowed only to find out there is another snow storm coming off the lake that is going to bury the airplane again? Happens out at KBKL in Cleveland all the time.

Have you had to shovel an airplane out of the snow that was plowed only to find out there is another snow storm coming off the lake that is going to bury the airplane again? Happens out at KBKL in Cleveland all the time.

nope, i like hangers!

Ha ha I'm sitting in my hot tub when it's 40 degrees outside and foggy. No snow here, but anyways it funny that we can't buy beer yet. I got three more months to go and I have drink from life cup.

ahhh, outta chi town?
well i've heard some great reviews about Kent, so if ATC is an interest of yours, go for it, youll love it!

im contemplating going to UND for ATC and Aviation Business, but im thinking SIUC for Avation Matenance and Business would be cheaper.

but ATC is great, and it'll show you who we rely on as pilots.

UND is okay for ATC and Meteorology...

Pick something "recessive proof". Aviation and many of it's sub-fields is not one of them.

Pick something "recessive proof". Aviation and many of it's sub-fields is not one of them.

Ehh, we've actually seen business speed up since the recession really began, especially as oil prices started to drop, since we carry a lot of stuff over to the oil field and the oil barons realized they needed to bring up production.

But

Ehh, we've actually seen business speed up since the recession really began, especially as oil prices started to drop, since we carry a lot of stuff over to the oil field and the oil barons realized they needed to bring up production.

I do believe that the consensus would be that this example is an exception though.

Re: But

I do believe that the consensus would be that this example is an exception though.

definitely true. We've been immensely lucky in this regard, if only the weather would cooperate now, I haven't been able to get more than 25hrs this pay period, ridiculous.

pat

Back