Advice for 5 day CFII MEI

emily

I'm scheduled for the CFII/MEI here shortly, and I'm getting a little uneasy when I wonder if I am going to be properly prepared. I received ATP's study suppliment in the mail. It is very helpful in preparing me for the MEI, however the CFII portion is completely vague. ATP advises CFII canidates to be instrument proficient before taking this course, but what exactly does that mean? Yeah, i can do a DME arc, intercept and track radials and I can do approaches, however I haven't had tuns of instrument experience in the past couple of years. I called my instructor the other day to ask him some questions about the program. He has never had a student for this course and didn't seem to know what to tell me. That doesn't make me feel confident about spending over $5,000. I'm totally ready to spend if I am ready enough to make it through the check-ride. Does anyone have any advice at all?

Emily

I assume you know how to fly approachs. All you just need to do teaching part(fly approachs from the right seat) . As one of my DPE said "CFII, MEI and CFI ratings are no how well you can fly the plane. It is how you teach your student." :p

Unless you have my DPE who asked me to read how does FAA design the approachs. :D

Just hit the AIM. If you're fine with the flying aspect of instrument work, then all you need to prepare for is teaching and getting a couple pieces of the more esoteric knowledge primed. The AIM has all the pertinent instrument information (not to mention a uselessly in-depth explanation of LORAN), so reading through it a couple times--in addition to scanning through the PTS and checking your weak points--should have you ready. Don't expect to get a lot of help from your ATP instructor, but do make a point to use the simulator if the location you're going to has one.

Other than that, if you're not familiar with the Seminole or the Garmin 430, read up a little on them beyond the ATP supplement. POH for the 'Nole and a user guide if you can find one for the 430. Make sure you're comfortable with the 430 before your checkride.

You need to know the Garmin 430 and instrument procedures at the CFII level. You should go there with the attitude that you just need to do your check ride, ready for it. Simple as that.

"Instrument Proficency" = good enough to at least pass an IPC. And of course as an instructor, you need to be able to teach it, from the right seat.

I would recommend also downloading the Garmin 430 simulator and the docs (you can web search for it).

Back