ADS-B question for the airline folks

MidlifeFlyer

I know that airlines that have ADS-B installations have 1090 ES ADS-B out because of international and flight level requirements.
But do the installations typically include 978 ADS-B out as well? I don't think it's needed but I'd imagine the cost differential wouldn't be that much so it might be one of those things the manufacturers just put in there.

No, 978Mhz isn't included and is really a US-only thing anyway. Anything that flies internationally or above FL180 needs 1090 anyway, and other aircraft equipped with UAT only 978Mhz devices would see the 1090 traffic via the rebroadcast anyway.

My perception (may or may not reflect reality) is that 978Mhz was done as a way to provide a lower cost option or perhaps addressed perceived frequency congestion on 1090; not sure how true either of those possibilities are.

I know we have two engines. Both gotta be working to dispatch and there's no MEL relief otherwise.

Back out slowly @Derg, you're way in over your head here and don't want to startle the techno nerds. They may stampede, and that wouldn't be good for anybody!

I know we have two engines. Both gotta be working to dispatch and there's no MEL relief otherwise.
Well, an understanding of which ADSB equipment is installed and what it's capabilities are can be pretty helpful. For instance, if you ever bid that sweet sweet Juneau flying 90% of the traffic won't show up on TCAS because no transponder, but will show up if you're in mutual sight of an ADSB ground station, but won't if you're not because 978 vs 1090. But yeah you're right in most cases irrelevant.

Well, an understanding of which ADSB equipment is installed and what it's capabilities are can be pretty helpful. For instance, if you ever bid that sweet sweet Juneau flying 90% of the traffic won't show up on TCAS because no transponder, but will show up if you're in mutual sight of an ADSB ground station, but won't if you're not because 978 vs 1090. But yeah you're right in most cases irrelevant.
Immaterial. The Borg Collective is only putting ADS-B Out on its planes. There is no requirement to have In, so they're not going to pay for it.

Immaterial. The Borg Collective is only putting ADS-B Out on its planes. There is no requirement to have In, so they're not going to pay for it.
Interesting. I suppose since TCAS covers most of what you do it's not a big loss of capability. Still seems like an odd decision but I understand that integrating that kind of stuff into a part 25 cockpit isn't quite like running a twisted pair to your Garmin 430.

The ADSB out is only required so the ground controller knows where you are and what you're doing. If they want you to do something else, that's what CPDLC is for.

Interesting. I suppose since TCAS covers most of what you do it's not a big loss of capability. Still seems like an odd decision but I understand that integrating that kind of stuff into a part 25 cockpit isn't quite like running a twisted pair to your Garmin 430.
There is no equivalent TSO-C119 for ADS-B yet. Talking to the one legged man, most everything with a integrated flight deck won't show ADS-B in until all the traffic displays and alerts the same. Can't be second guessing which target will trigger a TCAS event an which won't.

I know that airlines that have ADS-B installations have 1090 ES ADS-B out because of international and flight level requirements.
But do the installations typically include 978 ADS-B out as well? I don't think it's needed but I'd imagine the cost differential wouldn't be that much so it might be one of those things the manufacturers just put in there.

The ADS-B guidance does not allow for broadcast on 1090 and 978 at the same time. Have to pick one or the other. 1090 out and 978 listen only is OK.

Back