ADD and surgery.... Doctor doubts I can get a medical....

AmericanAirFan

Hello, I'm not one to usually post in these forums but I am a very avid aviation enthusiasts but this question needs to be posted here. It is a very serious question. For my medical background I was diagnosed with ADD my freshman year of High School they put me on 40 mg of Strattera which is an extremely low dosage. I went to LeTourneau University to visit the campus back in January I plan on attending this college and acquiring my degree in Aeronautical Science and getting all my ratings here. When I went they told us that we couldn't be on any kind of anti depressant or stimulate for things such as ADD... So I in early June got off my medicine and it was such a low dosage it has had no effect on me and I'm having a great life with no meds and I can still think and concentrate just as good as I did before sometimes I doubt the medicine really did much to me. Then I had a "Spontaneous Pneumothorax" in June which is basically a hole in my lung and they had to go in orthoscopically and stitch my lung with dissolvable stitches and also in the process put some sort of chemical between the lung and the chest cavity to irritate the lung to bond to the chest cavity so there is no chance of the lung ever collapsing at all. So since that happened I have fully recovered and the doctor has cleared me and I have been in intense marching band camp for the past 3 weeks 4 hours a day from 8AM to 12PM in the hot Texas weather with 95+ degree weather. I have performed very well and am very physically active and I use my lungs alottt. So pretty much the lung surgery has fixed me for good.

So since I need to get my medical before I enter college we decided to visit a ME that only does class II and III medicals. We told him of my past very much the same way as I described above and he said that these two things were two strikes against me and there is almost no chance that the FAA will issue me a Class II. Now when he said this I was hurt I mean wow my whole career wiped off the face of the earth. I have no other desire in my life but to become a pilot and I have had this dream since I was a little kid. So he said I would have to get a letter from the doctor who did my lung surgery summarizing what happened and what he did to fix it and another one from the psychiatrist whom I no longer need to see since I'm off my ADD medication and have no need for it.

This is very upsetting but I have a feeling that I can get my class II I'm only 17 years old I will be a senior in high school this year. I've been off my medicine and plan to stay off it for the rest of my life I have no meds in the house. Also the hole in my lung is completely healed and I can do everything anybody else can do. I am very concerned but I need some serious advice. The ME says he doubts I can get my Medical and says I should start looking for another career but I refuse to do that.

What I need is an idea of what I need to do to get my class II medical because I know I should be able to obtain one. I am thinking of waiting until the summer of next year so that all this stuff has had a year to "settle" even though as far as I'm concerned all this medical history is settled and I'm healthy. Also I have considered maybe finding another ME to get another opinion. Please any advice or answers would be greatly appreciated as to what I need to do or who I should be talking to and should I have a problem getting a Class II medical?

Thank you for your replies.

-AmericanAirFan

Re: ADD and surgery.... Doctor doubts I can get a medical...

First, you should get a Class 1 medical if you want to enter a professional pilot program. Most schools require that so you don't waste your money and time in case you do not qualify.

Second, if you have serious or multiple health problems, it is better to see an AME who does a high volume of physicals, especially on professional pilots.

Third, the AME was correct. You need to get copies of the medical records and operative report for the pneumothorax and surgery. You also need a letter from the psychiatrist outlining your current status with ADD as well as copies of your psychiatric medical records for submission to the FAA. They may ask you to get a neuropsychological evaluation by a clinical psychologist before they give you a medical. If the review of your records is satisfactory, you will get your medical. I have several pilots who have the diagnosis of ADD and have been granted medicals. All is not lost:)

Ok is it possible to get a class 1 with my situation? Also I know of airline pilots who fly on Class IIs I'm not too worried to settle with a Class II and I can always try to get a Class I later on and the college only requires a Class II but upon entering the college they only require you to have a Class III Also when would a good time be to apply for my Medical should I wait until next summer or try and do it now while all that medical history is so "fresh" ?

Thanks for the help

First officers only need a Class 2 but to be a Captain you will need a Class 1. Get the Class 1 (READ - TAKE MY ADVICE even if it is FREE:laff:) and do it about mid-year. You can let it drop to a Class 3 which will be good for 5 years. It will take anywhere from 2 to 4 months to get the medical, depending on how experienced the AME is at handling Special Issuance applications.

Ok thanks so much for the reply! You made my day better cause I was having an awful day thinking of how dull my life would be if I couldn't be a pilot. I will go and find an AME that does professional pilots / class I medicals and get the process taken care of within the next 6 months. Thanks for the information :)

I have a history of ADD AND Tourette Syndrome and I just got issued my 2nd class. I had to see a clinical psychologist and take several exams. We sent the results in and the FAA was happy with them. Don't lose hope, you'll probably be ok.

ill add my 2 cents: youll probably be just fine!

i had a similar thing, medication usage in the past, just had to get records and statement from my previous doctor stating i no longer showed symptoms of illness and was no longer being treated, and the FAA was content with that.

dont lose hope! its a pain in the butt to track down old doctors and medical stuff sometimes, but it will be worth it.

Back