Adaquate/Suitable Airports

F9DXER

OK, I am having a case of dumb _ _ _. Where is the official FAA definition of an adaquate and suitable airport. As it applies to en-route alternates. (ETOPS)

We have the def's written in our FOM, but the adequate altnernate definition is taken directly from 121.197, but doesn't say "adequate" anywhere. 121.624 states what's needed for an ETOPS alternate, and mentions adequate but no where is "suitable" mentioned. However, the original ETOPS AC (120-42A) does specify definitions for adequate and suitable. But that circular has been canceled and replaced.

direct from that AC

a. Airport.
(1) Adequate. For the purpose of this AC, an adequate
airport is an airport certified as an FAR Part 139 airport or is found to be equivalent to FAR Part 139 safety requirements.
(2) Suitable. For the purpose of this AC, a suitable airport is an adequate airport with weather reports, or forecasts,
. or any combination thereof, indicating that the weather conditions are at or above operating minima, as specified in the operation specifications, and the field condition reports indicate that a safe landing can be accomplished at the time of the intended operation

Thanks.

Officially AC 120-42A was cancelled and replaced by 120-42B, they did not transfer the definition of "suitable" airport. So that is why I asked.

So that begs the question is there still an official definition of "suitable airport"?

Thanks.

Officially AC 120-42A was cancelled and replaced by 120-42B, they did not transfer the definition of "suitable" airport. So that is why I asked.

So that begs the question is there still an official definition of "suitable airport"?

I think (key word) i remember being told something to the effect the FALALALA's want to move away from the "Suitable" term. Not sure why, but seems like since we all know the terminology it's time to change it.

I guess the only other suggestion of a place to look is 8900?????

Back