Acid Reflux & Fad Diagnosis of the Year

SlantG

I had a student pose these questions to me:
What are the FAA CAMI requirements for pilots diagnosed with acid reflux and on medications for treatment, but without an ulcer? Do they have to call the FAA to notify them, or just report it on the next medical? What extra paperwork might be needed?
How about for H. Pylori infections?
Are either of the above grounding?
VFS says there is an extensive workup required, is that still true?

Any answers or experience?

Thanks!

I have GIRD, a hiatial hernia and most likely Barrett's esophagus, no problems here.

I'm on 40mg of Protonix once a day to treat the GIRD.

Here is what they say:
Disease Protocols
Peptic Ulcer

An applicant with a history of an active ulcer within the past 3-months or a bleeding ulcer within the past 6-months must provide evidence that the ulcer is healed if consideration for medical certification is desired.

Evidence of healing must be verified by a report from the attending physician that includes the following information:

• Confirmation that the applicant is free of symptoms
  • Radiographic or endoscopic evidence that the ulcer has healed
  • The name and dosage medication(s) used for treatment and/or prevention, along with a statement describing side effects or removal
This information should be submitted to the AMCD. Under favorable circumstances, the FAA may issue a certificate with special requirements. For example, an applicant with a history of bleeding ulcer may be required to have the physician submit followup reports every 6-months for 1 year following initial certification.

The prophylactic use of medications including simple antacids, H-2 inhibitors or blockers, proton pump inhibitors, and/or sucralfates may not be disqualifying, if free from side effects.

An applicant with a history of gastric resection for ulcer may be favorably considered if free of sequela.

Thus, if the diagnosis is not peptic ulcer, you just report the medication at the next exam. H.pylori is the same as GERD as far as reporting.

VFS is correct, a diagnosis of ulcer requires an evaluation as above.

Back