Academy here-fly in Europe?

Not open for further replies.


New Member
Just a question my wife and I have discussed, she is Greek and has lived both there and in South Africa. Her parents still reside in Greece. What are the hurdles if I go through an academy here, maybe work for a regional for a bit than decide to move there (Greece, Belgium etc) and find work? I'm a US citizen, barely conversational in Greek and very little of any other language.


Most carriers (apart from Asian ones) require you to speak their native tongue.

If you have under 800 hours you will basically start again. You will have to take a certified course which is (or alteast was) called 509. This course is design to teach you to fly right seat. It takes 18 months, and includes 200 hours flight time, and all the ground to take the numerous (13) written tests. It cost about $50,000 but after it you are ready to start applying.
If you have over 800 hours, you only have to take the written test and checkrides, and the instrument course. There is a self study written test course, however it is very hard, your elternative is a regular ground school. There is nothing like the gliem where you can study your questions, you certainly have to know you stuff (or so I have heard). The checkrides will be very similar to the FAA ones, although there are some differences flying in Europe so you will need some time to adjust to the changes.


New Member
I'm not sure whether or not Iain is referring to specific licensing requirements by the Greek Aviation Authority or if he is referring to JAA licensing requirements.

It is not necessary to do a fully integrated course (CAP 509 as it used to be called in the UK) in order to convert to a JAA licence. You basically have the option of doing a fully integrated course as Iain has mentioned or you can go down the modular route.

The fully integrated course tends to be rather expensive and is generally suited to those that have no previous flying experience. If you already have flying experience I would recommend going Modular. For example, if you hold an FAA CPL then you will need to do all 14 JAA ATPL written exams, a CPL flight test and I believe that the entire Instrument Rating course plus flight test must also be done in a JAA Member state.

You should have a look at the Wannabes section on PPRUNE for some more info.

Also, take a look at

Best of luck.

[ August 29, 2001: Message edited by: Sprawler ]
Not open for further replies.