? about grades

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Ok, so im a junior in highschool.
my grades arent horrible, but they could be better

alot better.

Do you think this will affect my chances at getting an airline yob?

thanks guys!

Probably not. As long as you get a college degree with a somewhat respectable GPA I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think many people pay attention to high school grades anyways. Just work on getting those grades up in college, but nobody is looking for a straight A student in high school.

With all that said, don't stop trying. I would work on them til you graduate, but most companies typically only look at what you did in college.

i doubt your grades are going to give you a hard time finding an airline job, or any other flying job for that matter.

But with that being said, that doesn't mean you should not try harder, and attempt to get better grades in school, since you could lose out on scholarship oppurtunities and other financial aid for when the time comes to apply to colleges, I can speak from personal experience, when I say that half of my tuition at riddle was paid by outside scholarships, 1/3 of it was also paid scholarships i got from riddle, and the rest i took out a small loan.

Also a quick side note, if a future employer does want to see your high school or college transcript, even if you had terrible grades in the beginning if they see that there is a constant progression in your grades in a good direction, then that can tell the interviewers a lot about the type of person you are.

Good Luck! And Enjoy the last years of high school.
-Stan

alot better.

thanks guys!

Forget about the airline job for now.

Why do you think your grades are not up to your liking for the time being? Effort, ability, some other factor or a combination?

High School grades? I have no idea how I did, I guess I did well enough. I wouldn't even know how to get HS grades. As far as college goes, if you go do the best you can, theres no point in doing anything half assed. If you don't go, oh well. I didn't for financial reasons and I know a lot of guys that didn't that are making good money flying big iron and corporate. I myself fly 121 and was never asked about my educational background. Was never asked during my stint of 135, either.

Btw, I'm not interested in getting into a "You'll never fly for (insert bankrupt major airline) without a college degree and networking" argument. All I'm merely doing is giving my experience.

Do well in high school and begin developing good study habits now. Believe me, college gets much harder and involves more concentration and focus than high school. Developing said skills now will help you a lot.

Getting good grades in college means one less uncomfortable question you may have to deal with later in an interview.

I think I can give some pretty good advice on this one...

I dont even have a high school degree. I did pretty piss poor in high school. I basically didnt care. Man do I regret it. After high school I still wanted to go to college, and I did. I went to the local community college where I still half-assed everything. My problem was that I had a pretty decent job while in school and I didnt know what I wanted to do with my life. I assumed flying was out of reach because of how badly I did in high school, and because I wasnt good at math.

I decided to pursue my licenses anyway. I managed to get my CFI/MEI and instructed and was hired by 2 REGIONAL airlines. I emphasis regional airlines because thats as far as Ill get with my current education.

Having a "career" though has changed everything. I cant wait to finish up PE and Math to get my associates (thats right, all I need is PE and Math.) Which will be complete in 2009. Im looking into my options after that for my 4 year degree. The downside of being hired before getting your degree is the fact that its so tough now to find time to finish. The only option is an online degree, but I would much prefer to go to school. But now that I have an airline job, I wont give it up knowing full well that getting back in is going to be impossible.

My advice, pull those Cs up to Bs, and try your damndest to get into college, and if you dont get into a "real college," there is always a community college that is just as good and cheaper. Finish up your bachelors and while in school work on your licenses during breaks, or whenever possible. Then when your out of college you can decide if you want to get into this game.

I really wish the only thing I had to worry about now was getting time in the plane :(

thanks guys

I'm in the B-C range but I wanna do better, you know?

yea dude just take a few minutes to figure out what is causing you to get those type of grades. it could be something as little as a the wrong type of study environment, or something major like poor time managment . But in the end, if your able to figure out, what you need to do to properly study and achieve better grades, your going to be that much better of a college student. And kudos to you if you can learn how to properly manage your time, because that is almost every college students worst nightmare.

High school? What was high school?

Nobody even asked me about my grades for college. Sure I had a transcript printed out and ready to rock at interviews, but that's it. Nobody actually looked at the thing.

Applying to graduate school after your furlough on the other hand...folks start looking at them.

thanks guys

I'm in the B-C range but I wanna do better, you know?

I think you have a great attitude...and by identifying this issue...it speaks a lot about your determination. Regardless of what you do...I really believe that anything less than your personal best is a failure. OTH, if B & C's are the best you are capable of...I regard that as a success.

Any endeavor that is less than your personal best should really gnaw at you on a personal level.

Most success/failure issues stem basically from preparation. If you prepare properly...acheivement is just a matter of time.

I don't know of any employer that is going to inquire about your HS grades. However, it is an important formative time to develop proper study habits, preparation routines, and test taking skills. Don't limit yourself by slacking now.

Here's the bottom line---if you made anything other than an 'A' in freshman English, you will never be eligible for an airline job. :D

Seriously, bro, nobody ever asked me or cared about how I did in high school after the fact. The purpose of getting good grades in high school, besides the obvious benefits of learning and instilling a good work ethic, is to help you get into the college of your choice. Once you're in college, consider the slate whiped clean. That doesn't mean slack off; you still have to get in the door at college.

alot better.

thanks guys!

The only thing your Highschool grades will even affect is you choice of colleges.

I've never been asked my GPA. I've never seen "3.0 cumulative GPA" as a minimum qualification on a job ad.

Doesn't mean you can go screwing around in college and just squeak by. If your work ethic, or lack thereof, in college leads to a poor GPA, chances are that that same lack of effort will be the thing that keeps you from landing a job. Some food for thought for you.

No. Once you are in College, your grades in High school mean absolutely nothing. They serve no purpose but you get you into a good school. Even then, there are so many other avenues. I should know. I left highschool when I was 16. Four years later I nearly went to Columbia.

That said, the easiest thing you can do is just get good grades.

Nope. I don't think I have ever discussed my grades during any interview. And what about that permanant record they mentioned so many times as a kid. Never talked about that either. I feel lied to.

Back