AA 787 diverts to CDB

alaskadrifter

Landing gear operator
Trip of a lifetime for some AA passengers.
http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...ines-jet-makes-emergency-landing-in-cold-bay/
Aviation
American Airlines jet flying from Shanghai to Chicago makes unexpected landing in Cold Bay
  • Author: Chris Klint
  • Updated: 3 minutes ago
  • Published 50 minutes ago
161012LandingIMG_7751.jpg

An American Airlines jet makes an unplanned landing in Cold Bay on Wednesday morning, Oct. 12, 2016, in Southwest Alaska. (Candace Schaack)

An American Airlines jet carrying more than 100 people made an emergency landing in the Southwest Alaska community of Cold Bay Wednesday morning, with locals on standby to assist the new arrivals.

Cold Bay's Mayor Candace Schaak said the Boeing 787 landed at about 9:45 a.m. carrying a total of 114 people.

A spokesperson with the Federal Aviation Administration reported that American Airlines flight 288, traveling from Shanghai to Chicago, made the diversion to Cold Bay "due to an engine issue."

['Ooh, sexy!': Alaska Airlines punts passenger for catcalling flight attendant]

"The landing was perfect and the fire crew was standing by here to respond if needed," Schaak said.

American Airlines spokesman Ross Feinstein said in an email that the 787 diverted to Cold Bay after "an indicator light in the cockpit reported a possible mechanical issue." He added that a maintenance team would have to examine the aircraft before a more precise determination could be made on what led to the diversion.

161012LandingIMG_7760.jpg

Emergency responders stand by after an American Airlines jet makes an unplanned landing in Cold Bay on Wednesday morning, Oct. 12, 2016, in Southwest Alaska. (Candace Schaack)
There were no immediate reports of injuries, but Schaak said the local clinic has been opened as a precaution. Residents of the 80-person Alaska Peninsula community are preparing to house the jet's passengers and crew for what Schaak said could be an overnight stay.
"It was kind of all hands on deck," Schaak said. "People have some other buildings that they're opening up for people to stay in."

[The last kid in Cold Bay]

Feinstein said the airline was working to get the passengers to their original destinations.

"A replacement aircraft will be sent to Cold Bay to continue the flight," Feinstein wrote. "We apologize to our customers for the inconvenience, and are working to get them to Chicago as soon as possible."

Clint Johnson, the National Transportation Safety Board's Alaska chief, said the NTSB was alerted to the landing but didn't plan an active response.

"It was a precautionary landing — no damage, no injuries," Johnson said. "We're just monitoring it right now."

Check back for updates.

I've been stuck in far worse places. Looks pretty nice to me.

2461657599_bbc256d6a3_b.jpg

I'd be happy to sleep on the couch at this lodge. Maybe find someone to stick my old ass in a little boat, throw a line in the water and catch dinner.

ranrguide_003.jpg

Look at that expanse.......man that's lovely. Real fresh air and peace and quiet.

Cold_Bay_Izembek_NWR.jpg

Last edited:
That's why you leave them to fend for themselves, strike out and make friends with a local. Sleep in a chair anywheres, get to see something beautiful, experience some wildlife, and who knows what little adventure you could have. :) Look at that scenery. It's awesome.

That's why you leave them to fend for themselves, strike out and make friends with a local. Sleep in a chair anywheres, get to see something beautiful, experience some wildlife, and who knows what little adventure you could have. :) Look at that scenery. It's awesome.

That's why I'm happy that if we divert to Cold Bay I'll be with at most 7-11 other people. #freightisgreat

Back