A20 vs Zulu 2

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
I think im gonna go for the A20. Do you guys think its really necessary to get bluetooth? Im leaning towards not getting it.

$100 is cheap for future proofing. Calling flight service on the ground from inside the airplane is a heckuva lot easier with BT than the conventional method... but jump back to the first point. $100 (10% of cost) is cheap for future proofing.

BTW, this thread made me order an A20 to replace my headset X. :> (I LOVE the X, but I very often need something for pax ... and when I start instructing ... which I hope is soon ... it wouldn't hurt to have a loaner so I can put my H10-30 back in my aerobatic helmet!.)

Thanks for all the opinions, fellers!

~Fox

Ugh, looks like I get to send in my Zulus for service...
I tried to turn on the ANR today and instead of sweet, sweet silence I got something resembling a modem dialing in my ears. NOT COOL.

If I were dropping $800-1100 on a headset I'd certainly add in the extra little bit for blue tooth.

Got my A20 today. Minor moment of (simulated) panic when the UPS tracking page showed 'delivered' and it was nowhere to be seen... so far I like it... can't wait to fly with it.

I think the clamping force is actually a little higher than my headset X, which is surprising... but I just spent about half an hour on the phone via bluetooth and I have to say .. so far, so good! ^.^

~Fox

Got my A20 today. Minor moment of (simulated) panic when the UPS tracking page showed 'delivered' and it was nowhere to be seen... so far I like it... can't wait to fly with it.

I think the clamping force is actually a little higher than my headset X, which is surprising... but I just spent about half an hour on the phone via bluetooth and I have to say .. so far, so good! ^.^

~Fox

Mine has been delivered today also. Can't wait for tomorrow's flights to try it out!!

The ANR in the Bose might be a bit better, but not $300 better. Clamping force on the Bose is higher, and their earcups are smaller, so if you have big ears, or a big melon, then they'll rub after a bit.

Plus you can stream music with the Zulus. I actually have my Zaon in my airplane setup with an audio to BT converter, so it sends traffic alerts via BT to the Zulu, rather than mess with the wires.

But you can get near equivillent performance with a Headsets, Inc ANR kit installed in an old DC 10-40. I put one in a 30 year old 10-40, and it works just as well as the Zulu and the Bose. The ANR might not be up to par to the Bose, but the superior passive protection from the DC makes up for it. $200 for the kit plus whatever old headset you can scrounge up.

Richman

But you can get near equivillent performance with a Headsets, Inc ANR kit installed in an old DC 10-40. I put one in a 30 year old 10-40, and it works just as well as the Zulu and the Bose.

Interesting, I've looked at those kits several times. I dont fly enough to justify $1,000 headsets, in fact I'm very content with my HS-1A's with aftermarket gel seals... but I've thought some about adding the ANR some day.

I have always hated that excuse. 1 flight a month or 30, your hearing protection and comfort should be the highest priority.

Well it's not an excuse, it's common sense. Flying 2-3 hours per day vs 8 hours per day is a totally different ball of wax as far as comfort goes. I fit into the first category and have no complaints on comfort, so I see no reason to upgrade for comfort reasons.

As for noise levels I'm also very comfortable with my 23db of passive protection, but I do realize that even at that level there may be cumulative effects from noise levels over the years and it might be beneficial to have ANR for that reason, hence my interest.

But I'm not going to run out and buy an $800-1000 headset if I can get performance that meets my needs for $300. To me that's not good stewardship of my money. I understand why some people choose other options though, either for the performance requirements they need for their job, or just because they want nice gear...whatever, their money, their choice.

Not sure about the Zulu, but I've got the Bose X... It's got 500 hours on it, if even that much, and has already been sent in to Bose for service twice.. Now I've got a problem with the microphone jack on it, and just got off the phone with Bose... It would be $195 for them to fix it. I'm not sure how lightspeed quality is, or how their service is, but better service really could pay off.

Not sure about the Zulu, but I've got the Bose X... It's got 500 hours on it, if even that much, and has already been sent in to Bose for service twice.. Now I've got a problem with the microphone jack on it, and just got off the phone with Bose... It would be $195 for them to fix it. I'm not sure how lightspeed quality is, or how their service is, but better service really could pay off.

I have 500hrs on my A20 and it's still as good as day one (knock on wood!)... that being said, it lives in it's own case, not in a flight case or rollaboard being beaten around day in and day out.

I have 500hrs on my A20 and it's still as good as day one (knock on wood!)... that being said, it lives in it's own case, not in a flight case or rollaboard being beaten around day in and day out.

I've got mine in the Bose case too... No idea why it's so weak. Just the other day I noticed the tip on the plug was bent... Then I became depressed because my warranty expired last month.

I've got mine in the Bose case too... No idea why it's so weak. Just the other day I noticed the tip on the plug was bent... Then I became depressed because my warranty expired last month.
Ouch! Nothing makes you cringe more than hearing that your warranty expired. I'd try calling them again and explain your situation, you never know, you might get the random call center person who can do it for free. :)

Also, I think I came off as accusing you of abusing it, which is not at all what I meant it to sound like. Sorry!

Ouch! Nothing makes you cringe more than hearing that your warranty expired. I'd try calling them again and explain your situation, you never know, you might get the random call center person who can do it for free. :)

Also, I think I came off as accusing you of abusing it, which is not at all what I meant it to sound like. Sorry!

Yea I'm going to call them again about it... Could get really expensive...

Back