A vs B Sideslip maneuver

melax

I was revisiting the saga of the Gimli Glider. In an interview the pilot stated that you couldn't sideslip an Airbus, the computer would not let you cross control, is it still the case ?, Has Airbus changed the software to allow such maneuver? (That statement was made 25 years ago)

http://www.casa.gov.au/fsa/2003/jul/22-27.pdf

Yeah of course , 767... Captain Pearson said it would have been impossible to do what he did with an Airbus because the computer would not have allowed it, hence my question (directed to Airbus experts).

Hmm, if you land in a crosswind, you're basically cross-controlling the aircraft as far as I know.

"full aerodynamic performance may not be achieved"

That article is referring to AoA limitations, of course, rather than sideslip. As Doug pointed out, a crosswind landing is no different aerodynamically from a forward slip used for landing, so an Airbus can clearly do it.

The flight control computers explode during one-engine inoperative flight.

Nawww, not really. Of course you can slip Airbii. They even have a little sideslip target on the PFD for that situation.

On an A320 (for instance), the rudder is mechanically controlled (cables) and hydraulically actuated. However, the rudder trim is used to coordinate turns made with the sidesticks only.

Maybe I didn't ask the right question, What I'm trying to find out, is if you find yourself flying under extreme conditions (or maneuvering) would the highly automated controls somehow limit the performance i'm not refering to normal flight. (VS a similar aircraft w/conventional controls)

Back