A Sacred Cow in the Cockpit

Kristie

Mama Bear....
Staff member
read the article....you'll love the rebuttal

A Sacred Cow in the Cockpit

By Steven Pearlstein
Friday, March 21, 2008; D01

The airlines are in one of their funks again. The price of jet fuel is skyrocketing, a softening economy is beginning to cut into demand and executives are warning of yet another round of losses and layoffs.

It remains something of a mystery why this industry, almost uniquely, can't figure out a way to charge enough to cover its costs, hedge against spikes in input prices, and remain flexible enough to accommodate the inevitable ups and downs of the economy without reflexively running to the government or bankruptcy court for relief.

One argument the industry makes is that there is still too much capacity, despite the fact that every flight you go on these days seems to be filled or nearly so and fares have risen noticeably in recent years. To the degree there is overcapacity, one suspects it has more to do with the perverse ways in which the major carriers compete, by creating networks of feeder flights that lose money and hubs that make money only if they so dominate the traffic going in and out of major cities that they can drive competitors from the market.

But there is no getting around the fact that the airlines also suffer from unions that, 30 years on, still haven't fully accepted the reality of a deregulated marketplace where the interests of consumers come before those of employees. There's no better proof of that than the apparent collapse of the merger of Northwest and Delta because of the inability of their pilots unions to find some way to combine their seniority lists.

By tradition, and union contract, seniority is sacred for airline pilots. It decides who gets to be a captain and who a copilot and who gets to fly which planes -- the key determinants of pay. And seniority is the main factor in establishing which city pilots are based in, which routes they fly, when they get to take vacations and which ones are laid off when times are tough.

No surprise then, that when airlines merge and try to consolidate the pilot seniority lists, there can be lots of disruption. Some pilots tell of being bumped back to copilot, suffering a $100,000 drop in income. Others tell of the indignity of having to fly a boring old 737 from Chicago to Orlando after several years of glory commanding a 747 back and forth to London. And imagine how it must feel, after 20 years in the business and several rounds of forced "givebacks," suddenly to be required to work on Christmas or Thanksgiving because a new colleague from what was once another airline has been flying longer than you.

You might think that given the generous pay top pilots earn relative to the number of days they work, and given the precarious financial nature of the industry, pilots would be willing to show some flexibility to assure the long-term success of their companies. You might think that would be especially true in the case of Delta and Northwest, which have offered pilots a nice raise, an ownership stake and a seat on the board of directors if the merger goes through.

But you'd be wrong.

Or perhaps you might think that members of the same national union could negotiate in good faith with each other, with the help of experienced and impartial mediators, to come up with a fair method of combining seniority lists.

Wrong again.

The top Northwest pilots tend to have more seniority than the top Delta pilots because so many senior Delta pilots took a buyout offer before Delta's recent bankruptcy filing. The next senior Delta pilots, who are now flying the big planes and the best routes years before they expected to, are determined not to lose seniority to their more experienced Northwest counterparts.

Meanwhile, some of the junior Northwest pilots, looking ahead, have noticed that when a big group of their senior colleagues retire in five years, they might not be able to move into coveted routes because a big group of Delta pilots have more tenure.

Mediators have proposed any number creative ways to combine seniority lists while minimizing some of these dislocations and disappointments. Since Northwest and Delta don't fly all the same planes, for example, separate seniority lists could be maintained for the most desirable 747s and 777s.

And there are ways to assure pilots flying certain routes that they can't be bumped even by someone with more seniority. In cases where one carrier's pilots tend to be older and more senior, you could agree to "feather" the seniority lists so that the combined list starts with the most senior Northwest pilot, followed by one or two of the most senior Delta pilots, followed by the next most senior Northwest pilot, and so on.

But after months of closed-door talks, no combination of these ideas has proven acceptable to either group.

None of this should come as a surprise. Nearly two years after the supposed merger of US Airways and American West, the two are being run largely as separate operations because the pilots cannot agree on how to combine their seniority lists. Not only are the unions fighting in court, but some US Airways pilots have filed a petition to oust the Air Line Pilots Association as their official union after it backed a compromise plan hammered out by an arbitrator.
The basic problem here isn't just the selfishness and shortsightedness of airline pilots. The problem is with seniority itself, and how it forces airlines to operate in ways that are irrational or unproductive.

Think about it. If pilots and copilots have the same training, and all that distinguishes them is that one has 10 years of service with the same company and the other 15, then by what logic should one be paid $100,000 more than the other?

Or, for that matter, why should tenure be the primary determinant of which pilots get ahead rather than, say, measurable differences in flying skills, ability to deal with customers and colleagues, and demonstrations of commitment to the company? That's the way it is done at most companies in most industries.

While we're at it, what's wrong with mixing things up a bit so that every pilot gets to fly at least some of the more desirable routes or some of the more desirable planes for which he or she is qualified, regardless of seniority? Surely there's a way to design schedules so more junior pilots don't have to work on every holiday while senior pilots work on none.

The reason it's so hard for airlines to find a fair and rational way to combine pilot seniority lists is there is nothing fair and rational in the way seniority is used. It causes a disconnect between performance and reward, discourages movement of employees between and within companies, creates a corrosive caste system that breeds resentment among junior employees and an overblown sense of entitlement among those who are most senior.

Airline customers, employees and shareholders would all be better off if the industry spent less time and energy figuring out how to combine seniority lists and more time on how to eliminate them.

Steven Pearlstein can be reached atpearlsteins@washpost.com

Re: A Sacred Cow in the Cockpit '=
By Steven Pearlstein -- Washington Post
Friday, March 21, 2008; Page D01

Dear Mr. Pearlstein,

In your March 21 article, "A Sacred Cow in the Cockpit", you highlighted the airlines' pilot seniority system, along with unions and "the selfishness and shortsightedness of airline pilots" as being the source of the airlines' ills.

I too find fault in the seniority system for this reason: the seniority system is a trap, impeding a pilot's ability to market his skills to the highest bidding airline.

In 1980, after earning my way through college as a commercial diver, competing three years as a varsity college athlete, and graduation with honors in aeronautics, my hard work, commitment, and sacrifice were rewarded with acceptance into a Navy pilot officer training program.

If I worked hard and successfully completed Aviation Officer Candidate School in Pensacola, I would earn the opportunity to work hard, sacrifice, and commit to Navy flight training. Of my initial class of thirty-three officer candidates, only thirteen of us completed this initial program. The other two thirds, all selected college graduates, washed out before the hard work of flight training had even begun.

The next year and a half were similar, in that my hard work, sacrifice, and commitment led ultimately to graduating Navy jet pilot training at the top of my class. Additionally, there was now risk. The risk of failure - many other very capable pilot trainees washed out, and the physical risk that could cost a young pilot his life.

Earning my wings at the top of my class gained me the privilege of another full year of hard work, sacrifice, commitment, and risk. This time, as a Fleet Replacement Pilot, learning to fly and fight the F-14A "Tomcat".

As before, the weeding out process continued, with the first two of several squadron mates lost in a fatal accident, and the ongoing performance standards to meet, with the final cut being based on successful night-time aircraft carrier landing qualification.

The next five years of active duty service to my country were characterized again by, you guessed it, hard work, sacrifice, and commitment, and a substantial amount of risk which claimed the lives of several more squadron mates. Are you beginning to see a theme yet?

In 1987, after serving seven years as a Navy carrier based fighter pilot, I competed against many other highly qualified applicants to attain a position on the bottom of Delta's pilot seniority list. At that time, Delta Air Lines was sought after by many aspiring professional pilots, due to its long tradition of strong management, financial stability, harmonious labor relations, and top of the industry compensation.

The subsequent twenty years of my career as a Delta pilot are where the aforementioned strategies of hard work, sacrifice, commitment, and risk were no longer rewarded. We in the profession became the target of airline managers constantly seeking to diminish our hard earned standard of living, while greatly boosting their own wealth.

A compliant business press aided these executives in their effort to deflect attention from their own inability to successfully manage our airline, by dutifully scapegoated pilots.

This is where you come in. Those of us in the piloting profession long enough to have been through several business cycles have seen the same business press misrepresentations recycled several times now.

These biased journalistic efforts typically contain phrases such as yours: "the selfishness and shortsightedness of airline pilots", even though the seniority system ensures pilots interests are in the long term health of his or her company. These same pilots have seen a parade of turnstile executives cycle through, taking their plunder with them in the form of early vestment in special executive retirement plans, severance packages, and other forms of featherbedding.

Another business press straw man is the spoiled pilot, who works only a few days per month. The dishonest omission, as you probably know, is the length of a pilot's work day, and his total hours of paid time which is always less than actual in uniform on-duty time.

An airline pilot's on-duty time frequently exceeds twelve hours, and more recently, goes well over sixteen hours, due to the advent longer range international flying. A pilot is not paid for preflight preparation time, or time spent in between flights while connecting to the next leg of flying during his duty day. This doesn't even take into account the amount of time a pilot spends away from home, as his working days off-duty time is spent living in a hotel room.

In your article, you assert that one would think that "given the precarious financial nature of the industry, pilots would be willing to show some flexibility to assure the long-term success of their companies." You failed to point out that Delta pilots lost their defined benefit pension plan, and nearly half of their pay, during Delta's recent trip through bankruptcy.

Would you or your readers care to show such flexibility?

I believe that your misrepresentations cause harm to the airline industry by deflecting attention from other, very serious structural and management issues, which aids in their perpetuation.

These issues include skyrocketing jet fuel prices, skyrocketing medical insurance benefit costs, a lack of pricing power in order to cover these skyrocketing costs , and a disconnect between executive compensation and a company's long term financial performance.

In fact, it is ironic that you mention "a disconnect between performance and reward" in reference to the pilot seniority system, without noting what is in the recent memory of nearly every Delta pilot. That is the gang of short-term executives, led by Leo Mullin, who briefly passed through Delta, and then left for greener pastures with their lavish unearned retirements safely in hand, as Delta approached the bankruptcy that cost these pilots their pensions and standard of living.

The bias you employ in playing to your target audience is a disservice to professional pilots, who now find that, contrary to the long held promise of America, their hard work, sacrifice, commitment, and risk are no longer rewarded. They deserve better. And you, and the traveling public, should hope that enough reward remains in the airline pilot profession to draw the quality of people needed to ensure that your every flight continues to operate at the high level of safety which you currently take for granted.

For my part, I have conceded that, in a time in which leaders at the very top of our political and corporate culture are not held accountable for their failures, near term change is not likely.

At the age of fifty, without enough remaining working years as an airline pilot to rebuild a retirement, I quit Delta, in order start over by running my own business. Finally, after twenty years, my hard work, sacrifice, commitment, and risk are again being rewarded.
I commend the pilot who wrote the editorial back to the journalist...he/she did a GREAT job and a much needed service to the industry. :)

That was a great rebuttal. I remember reading that article myself while I was sitting in PHX, waiting by a gate. I must have harumphed a little loudly because when I looked up I noticed the gentleman sitting next to me was staring a little obviously. I couldn't believe what I was reading.

God, I wonder who is paying him or if he really believes that.

You can hate management all you want, complain about how much money they make but in the end their job is still to pay you as little as they possibly can. Last time I made that argument I got numerous rebuttals from a bunch of guys that have been flying way longer than I have. Makes me think hard about getting too deep into the industry.

There are only 3 ways to make the pay and QOL of life better.

1.Increase demand
2. Decrease supply
3. And the one we have the most control of, increase collective bargaining power

Pilots, myself included have trouble thinking as a group. Its just the way it is. It is actually such a damn shame how people are constantly stepping over each other. I may fly for a regional for a little while, get it out of my system then go back to why I started flying in the first place. The joy of piloting my own 2 or 4 seat airplane and feeling a little 3 dimensional freedom. It will be a tough career with a ton of ups and downs, backstabbing, layoffs, etc. I honestly believe I can get the same kicks out of a small airplane.

I have followed a few guys here and without mentioning names I cannot imagine trying to start a family and in 4 years of hard work make less than 20 grand as a CFI, get abused by a cargo company, then get slapped on the bottom of a seniority list and not know whether or not your are going to have a job in a month. That big airplane must seriously give you a huge erection to take that kind of abuse. The only thing beside an airplane that gets people to act so irrationally is a member of the opposite sex.

Way too many guys that will step over each others back to get theirs. What are you gonna do, deny jumpseats, lecture people on PFT and PFJ, etc? Thats not how I want to live my life. It doesn't change the rules of the game and I don't have any faith that at least 25% of the 300,000 or so commercial and ATP pilots wouldn't screw the other over for a seniority number 100 higher.

-Jason

read the article....you'll love the rebuttal

I commend the pilot who wrote the editorial back to the journalist...he/she did a GREAT job and a much needed service to the industry. :)

Great article and I would venture an eduacated guess it was a 'he' (not that it matters). Judging by the time the pilot entered flight school and became a fighter pilot (early 80's) it is probably a safe bet.

My reasons for going to a regional is I am stubborn enough that I have to go find out for myself. That and I have never found anything that I loved quite as much as flying. I really love to fly. I have never felt so passionate about something. I love it enough that if I was confident enough that more pilots would not step over each others backs, I believe it would make an excellent career choice.

Instead the best I can do is try and get on with a union regional thats not being used as a whiplash or hurting other pilot groups and get my boner time, become a better pilot and do my best to raise the bar.

I applaud those that come on the board and try and educate younger pilots like myself. I applaud those that deny jumpseats. I just don't have the confidence that these will work and I am not sure that I could spend years in a career where there are such underlying problems.

That was an excellent letter written by the pilot. However, I doubt if you'll see him being interviewed on CNN, etc... anytime soon.

You can hate management all you want, complain about how much money they make but in the end their job is still to pay you as little as they possibly can.

You cannot pretend that management is not a factor. To think otherwise is ridiculous. Greedy executives are in many other industries besides aviation too. There are plenty of execs that come in to work for a company for a few years and take their millions and leave, even if the company was driven into the ground during their tenure. It's a whole "Hooray for me. ###### you." attitude.

That was a great rebuttal.

Agreed.

God, I wonder who is paying him or if he really believes that.

Of course he does. He's obviously a neocon Republican McCain supporter.

You can hate management all you want, complain about how much money they make but in the end their job is still to pay you as little as they possibly can.

Absolutely!

Last time I made that argument I got numerous rebuttals from a bunch of guys that have been flying way longer than I have. Makes me think hard about getting too deep into the industry.

Obviously guys who are more interested in their golf game than their profession.

There are only 3 ways to make the pay and QOL of life better.

1.Increase demand
2. Decrease supply
3. And the one we have the most control of, increase collective bargaining power

Exactly.

Pilots, myself included have trouble thinking as a group. Its just the way it is. It is actually such a damn shame how people are constantly stepping over each other.

Its because pilots are uniformly all Type A problem solver personalities. And they realize that you've got to get into the left seat as fast as possible so you're there when the inevitable downturn comes. Like now.

The only thing beside an airplane that gets people to act so irrationally is a member of the opposite sex.

Ya think?

Way too many guys that will step over each others back to get theirs. What are you gonna do, deny jumpseats, lecture people on PFT and PFJ, etc?

Look no farther than the jetBlue, Skybus, Virgin or Allegiant seniority lists.

Instead the best I can do is try and get on with a union regional thats not being used as a whiplash or hurting other pilot groups...and do my best to raise the bar.

The term is whipsaw.

I applaud those that come on the board and try and educate younger pilots like myself. I applaud those that deny jumpseats.

This profession is in a tailspin. And much of it is caused by exactly what you refer to...pilots willing to take substandard jobs to get ahead quicker.
They go there for the type rating, hoping it will help them advance to the next level faster. Meanwhile, they lower the average wage for the job. And every airline manager's mantra is to pay "market based wages."

Its time to employ every weapon we have against those who are gutting our livelihood. Up to and including jumpseat denial. Exactly why are we helping these dogs ruin us? Answer me that.

I want to kit a sticker for the back of my flight kit that says, "If you can read this, I'm not getting paid. Ask me why."

Think I'd get in some trouble for that one?

I want to kit a sticker for the back of my flight kit that says, "If you can read this, I'm not getting paid. Ask me why."

Think I'd get in some trouble for that one?

I don't think you'd get in trouble but I wouldn't put that on my own flight kit either.

What if someone actually did ask why, and then you told them.

Now what? They'd probably wonder why you have it on there telling them to ask.

The people I've flown with so far that seem to get way too worked up over stuff are the ones who think about how they are only paid per block hour. I don't think of it like that and if I did I'd probably be as stressed out as they are. I just think of how much I'll earn in one day's work, or for the entire trip.

It would be like someone having a sticker on their car that says "If I'm driving in the car and you can read this, then I'm not getting paid" and you see them on the highway.

Kinda, I leave my kit at work so it's not with me on my commute. So if I've got my kit hanging on my rollaboard, I'm at work and not getting paid.

Honestly? I think the concept is crazy, and with the kind of trips I pull (and of course I'm going to, because I'm ultra junior, but I don't think these kinds of trips should exist because of how fatiguing they are) I'll end up with things like 4.5 hour sits in Indy (that get turned into 6 hour sits), then 3 more legs after that. I mean talk about a jacked up system. I don't know of any other professional that will sit around "at work" without getting paid.

I'll end up with things like 4.5 hour sits in Indy (that get turned into 6 hour sits), then 3 more legs after that. I mean talk about a jacked up system. I don't know of any other professional that will sit around "at work" without getting paid.

It's really the nearly complete lack of a trip and duty rig that makes those types of trips so intolerable.

Exactly. If we had a great duty rig, and I'm talking like a 1:1.5, it would force more efficiency in the system. We've put other great measures in the contract to force the company to not make stupid decisions with us, and I think this would be a great one to have. Though to be honest I don't know if ANYBODY has a 1:1.5 duty rig, mainline or regional.

I find it to be a very poor rebuttal. The main point of the article was to question the need and value of the seniority system. The rebuttal barely addressed the seniority system, and instead just rehashed the same tired old crap: I worked hard, I paid a lot of money, I sacrificed, I risked my life, blah blah blah. Therefore I deserve big money, more seniority, more days off, better schedules, etc etc.

I support your sticker campaign John.

I'd just leave out the whole "Ask me why," portion.

The flying public doesn't care, and who are we to actually kid ourselves in thinking that they might care.

I don't give a rats ass how much a Greyhound bus driver, or an Amtrak system operator (dare I say conductor considering they do not exist in the same capacity) gets paid.

See I think it matters, 'cause nobody else in their right freaking mind has the same paying convention as us.

To be honest, I have no idea how it got started, nor how it's continued this long. Who goes to work to not get paid?

See I think it matters, 'cause nobody else in their right freaking mind has the same paying convention as us.

To be honest, I have no idea how it got started, nor how it's continued this long. Who goes to work to not get paid?
Exactly.

Airline history aside, the pay system baffles me.

I've worked salary and by the hour. Both made sense. Working solely by the flight (block) hour is pretty confusing. I suppose if the understood caveat to being paid by the block hour is:

Your block hour pay INCLUDES travel to and from the airport, travel from the airport through security and to the plane, necessary planning, paperwork, and preflight, and necessary post flight and travel from the plane to your place of rest.

... then it makes a little more sense.

I personally LOVE the duty rig concept. Though my hourly rate seems far lower than that of a 1st year regional pilot, I get paid quite a bit more thanks to the duty rig. If I'm working, I'm [usually] getting paid.

Yeah that's how it was at Amflight too. You got paid on a 40 hour work week, whether you worked 40 hours or not. Now of course you wouldn't touch 40 flight hours a week, so it was pretty much a salary system because even if you worked more than 40 hours of duty, you were only paid for 40 hours of duty.

Unless you were a training captain, then you could find ways to make some bank.

Don't get me wrong.

I think it matters, hell, I know it matters.

Trouble is, it doesn't matter to the traveling public. It'll never matter to those who use our services.

Back