A pilots tool kit.

USMCmech

You will eventually suffer a breakdown while away from your home base. Every pilot needs to have some tools that they can use to fix minor things.

Read this article about carrying a traveling tool kit.

http://www.avweb.com/news/columns/191532-1.html

Obviously not every rental pilot will lug all this out to the plane. However every pilot should carry some basic tools in his flight bag.

In mine there are

AA flashlight

Pliers

Screwdriver with multiple bits.

2 6" adjustable wreches.

With those things alone and a good bit of inginuity I can do a lot to fix the plane untill I get it back to home base. Also sometimes it is nessacery to use tools durrign flight. The pliers are particullarly helpful for turning fuel selector valves with broken plastic handles.

Without some tools even the most experianced mech is helpless.

You forgot duct tape.

Seriously, I used to carry a roll in my kit bag at Eagle. Came in very handy a couple times.

My flying tool kit consists of a Leatherman and a credit card. Have yet to encounter a problem one or the other can't handle.

MQAAord said:
You forgot duct tape.

Seriously, I used to carry a roll in my kit bag at Eagle. Came in very handy a couple times.

You get my vote for Flight Attendant of the Decade.

I was thinking about this the other day.

along with your toothbrush and extra pair of under wear, you really should have the tools J.I.C.

aloft said:
My flying tool kit consists of a Leatherman and a credit card. Have yet to encounter a problem one or the other can't handle.

LOL. So true.

I'm with aloft, I don't dare walk out to the plane without my leatherman. I pretty much can't get a dipstick off of an aircraft in the Texas summer without the thing. Either it's screwed on there too tight, or it's way too hot to touch.

aloft said:

I hear that! I have a Gerber that i wont fly without. Us maintainers can fix anything with a leatherman or a gerber and some bubble gum :)

I'm with aloft, I don't dare walk out to the plane without my leatherman. I pretty much can't get a dipstick off of an aircraft in the Texas summer without the thing. Either it's screwed on there too tight, or it's way too hot to touch.

*cough*go Lycoming*cough*

Some very good ideas there....several that would have been useful in the past.

Back