A&P school question

SMHarr

Hello, new to the forum

Hoping some of you can answer a few questions I got about A&P schools. So ive been thinking about becoming an aircraft mechanic for awhile now and am about to take the steps to get my education to then be able to get my a&p certificate. So I can get my a&p education here in Sacramento through my local community college or I can apply to Embry Riddle and do the worldwide campus; what troubles me is that through Riddle you don't get the Hands on training just bookwork (talked to a representitive) while im pretty sure at the community college they teach you by doing (not sure); which seems really important you know? So for anyone whos got there A&P i'd like to hear from them on there school experiences, did you go to Embry Riddle, community college or somewhere else and were you actually working on planes there or just studying books?

Go get a job in a shop and get paid to apprentice as you earn a non-aviation related degree. After 30 months you'll be an A&P with a fallback plan.

Don't qoute me, but I believe if you go the community college route half of the 1900 hrs has to be "lab" time. There is no good reason to spend what Embry-Riddle is going to charge, especially if you still won't be able to take the tests after completing their program. No one cares where you get your A/P, I got mine at a community college and I probably spent less than what a semester at Riddle would cost. Keep in mind that if you do go the apprentice route you'll probably need to get some test prep training before you actually take the tests.

or I can apply to Embry Riddle and do the worldwide campus; what troubles me is that through Riddle you don't get the Hands on training just bookwork (talked to a representitive) while im pretty sure at the community college they teach you by doing (not sure);

The rep gave you the wrong speech.

The Embry Worldwide program is designed to give military aircraft maintainers and those who have completed an apprenticeship with the academic background to pass the A&P test. You can't enroll off the street and be eligible for an A&P certificate.

Third option for you: find a local Guard/Reserve aviation unit and serve your country while learning aircraft maintenance skills.

Go to Sac City College, It's reputable, respected, proven and most importantly an AFORDABLE program. Don't waste your time or money with Riddle...

If your local college has a program go for it. You will save money by staying at home and in the end have the same license. I got my A&P at Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics and although it was a good program, I wish I had the option of a local community college.

The other way of building experience by apprenticing at a maintenance shop is a good idea as well. You will gain real world experience and make a few bucks while learning. Just make sure it is a reputable shop and you will get to do more than grease the gear. Do your research and make sure you are logging all your time so after a year or two you can go take your test. Also try and find a shop that does both piston and turbine and you will be more versatile in the end.

Good luck

Through a Community College in the South East USA.
Saved a plane full of money
Like Jet Doc said, don't waste your $ on riddle.

and never work for free

If I could go back in time I would slap myself tell and him to stay away from aviation as a way to make a living, it takes all of the fun out of it.

I desperately would love an A&P, plus take some avionics classes. Maggie is looking like a scholarship winner to any college she wants... so I can divert some college savings to something more important... namely my pursuit of aviation fun times. I visited the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Irving because they have an 24 month A&P plus aircraft electronics course that can be done Thursday thru Sunday which I can make work with my schedule. Problem is - the salesperson was amazingly uninformed - like horribly bad - and they wanted $44k for this program which seemed excessive - that's twice as much as a cabin Waco project I've located.

Dose anybody know of any Community Colleges in NJ or NYC that are affordable for A&P? I would love to become a more well rounded pilot and could be useful when I become an Aircraft Owner.

I desperately would love an A&P, plus take some avionics classes. Maggie is looking like a scholarship winner to any college she wants... so I can divert some college savings to something more important... namely my pursuit of aviation fun times. I visited the Aviation Institute of Maintenance in Irving because they have an 24 month A&P plus aircraft electronics course that can be done Thursday thru Sunday which I can make work with my schedule. Problem is - the salesperson was amazingly uninformed - like horribly bad - and they wanted $44k for this program which seemed excessive - that's twice as much as a cabin Waco project I've located.
You are in the "cat bird" seat. When I was going to school we had a similar classmate, the time spent in his hangar at KWHP on the weekends are fond memories. He had a working model of an external combustion engine that certainly expanded my thoughts regarding thermodynamics. He was also very serious about getting his A/P, it wasn't just a hobby to keep him engaged in his retirement, he kept up with a bunch of 20 yr olds through hard work and passion. I miss that guy.

Don't qoute me, but I believe if you go the community college route half of the 1900 hrs has to be "lab" time. There is no good reason to spend what Embry-Riddle is going to charge, especially if you still won't be able to take the tests after completing their program. No one cares where you get your A/P, I got mine at a community college and I probably spent less than what a semester at Riddle would cost. Keep in mind that if you do go the apprentice route you'll probably need to get some test prep training before you actually take the tests.

Hello All,

This is my first post on JC. I am an Aspiring career pilot, but my day job is that of an Avionics Technician with an A&P/IA. I also taught at a part 147 school (Community College) for a while. The 1900 hours (classroom and lab) is accurate under FAR part 147. The most difficult part of a 147 school is that any of that 1900 hours missed has to be made up before you can get an endorsement to test in the section that the time was missed in. For Example, if you miss 5 hours of Airframe Electrical, you would have to make that time up before getting an endorsement to go test for your Airframe Certificate. Each school differs in how they deal with this, but all will have this mandate as issued by the FAA.

With regard to Embry Riddle vs a Community College: Speaking as someone who went the CC route and works with others that went the ER route; we all make the same pay. The school has nothing to do with your certificate(s).The commenter above is correct with regard to cost. You will spend a little more to pay for an entire semester at a Community College than you would for one credit hour of instruction costs at Embry Riddle. I would also go find a shop to apprentice at if possible. While Directors of Maintenance care about education, aside from the A&P,they really want a good attitude and some experience. Any lacking education can be corrected later.

Hello, new to the forum

Hoping some of you can answer a few questions I got about A&P schools. So ive been thinking about becoming an aircraft mechanic for awhile now and am about to take the steps to get my education to then be able to get my a&p certificate. So I can get my a&p education here in Sacramento through my local community college or I can apply to Embry Riddle and do the worldwide campus; what troubles me is that through Riddle you don't get the Hands on training just bookwork (talked to a representitive) while im pretty sure at the community college they teach you by doing (not sure); which seems really important you know? So for anyone whos got there A&P i'd like to hear from them on there school experiences, did you go to Embry Riddle, community college or somewhere else and were you actually working on planes there or just studying books?
Go to your community college. Much cheaper and will get you what you want.

To (rather belatedly) reply to the OP, yeah, go through community college.

I actually spent a semester at the Sac City College program... Pretty good program. Wound up moving to Seattle and going through the program at South Seattle College. (If you live in the South Sound region, go there. Clover park may be better equipped, but it's always full of folks coming out of Joint Base Lewis-McChord, who get priority registration due to the GI Bill.)

Back