A&P/CFl looking into online bachelors degree programs

zx6rrider

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a bachelors degree just in case I decide to jump into the flying scene for a living one of these days. I have an Associates in Specialized Technologies from Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics A&P program and have my CFI and multi commercial from flying for fun on the side. I'm looking for recommendations for a school with an online bachelors degree that will transfer the most credits. The company I work for now offers tuition reimbursement so I really should be taking advantage of it, although that little BS piece of paper means nothing to me personally. I'll check with ERAU and see what they offer but figured there had to be some cheaper options out there. Thanks

State schools ( in your state!) will invariably be the cheapest, per credit hour.

Watch out for a Catch 22 on courses required to be taken at the new school, when you already have them on your transcript from the AA program.

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a bachelors degree just in case I decide to jump into the flying scene for a living one of these days. I have an Associates in Specialized Technologies from Pittsburgh Institute of Aeronautics A&P program and have my CFI and multi commercial from flying for fun on the side. I'm looking for recommendations for a school with an online bachelors degree that will transfer the most credits. The company I work for now offers tuition reimbursement so I really should be taking advantage of it, although that little BS piece of paper means nothing to me personally. I'll check with ERAU and see what they offer but figured there had to be some cheaper options out there. Thanks

I suggest changing your outlook. It should matter to you, and you'll get much more out of it if it does.

I agree with the other suggestion that you should look into a state school. Avoid for-profit schools at all costs.

I suggest changing your outlook. It should matter to you, and you'll get much more out of it if it does....
If you Have To do it, then you should (a.) Find the easiest and most cost-effective way to do it, AND (b.) find ways to make it meaningful for the long run. Within the requirements, find the best teachers - every school has some - and take a course from them. What they teach is less important than that they engage your mind, probably in a subject outside the norm for you. Don't just stick to the requirements box. Take a class or two for FUN. I recall an English class from the guy who was Ernest Hemingway's literary executor (Dr. Phil Young at Penn State). The class when he came in and said, "Forget the syllabus for today while I tell you about walking into Hemingway's vault." still sticks in my mind.

Create some concentration outside aviation - what if your medical goes south?

If you have family, keep them involved. They're making sacrifices here, too.

I suggest changing your outlook. It should matter to you, and you'll get much more out of it if it does.
I can't argue with that; I'm just more of a hands on, practical kind of guy who would rather be working on a project in the hangar or flying then learning things that don't interest me so I can check a box on an application.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. I'm still in the soul searching stage trying to decide if its something I really want/need to do and am looking for options or schools that I haven't thought of yet. I've got a great job now so I can't say that I ready to jump into flying full time and be gone that much but if this jobs goes south for some reason that is the direction I'd like to turn.

Back