A Milestone & A Thank You...

Joe

I haven’t posted in here in years, although I’m still a regular lurker... but I realized today was an important anniversary. Nothing as big as, say, a first solo or PPL, but on this date 20 years ago, I had my first flying lesson. Not too long after that, I somehow managed to stumble across jetcareers.com. In my youth, I had always assumed I would pursue a career in art or computers/web design, but @Derg quickly sold me on making a living in the pointy end of airplanes.

20 years later, that high school junior is in his mid-to-late 30s, married with kids, gainfully employed during the worst event to ever hit this industry, and still having a blast doing it. If it weren’t for that expensive belated 17th birthday gift from my mom, or discovering this web site, I have no idea what I’d be up to now... all I know is I’ve all but forgotten how to draw or code HTML.

Coincidentally, as I reflect on the past two decades of pursuing and then living “the dream,” I’m currently sitting in the home of JCHQ in SDL, waiting for an airplane to come out of maintenance. If we lived in a time where it was safe to share respiratory droplets with strangers, I’d offer to buy @Derg a tall, frosty adult beverage of his choosing to express my gratitude for all the work he’s put into this web site and community... but until then, I’ll raise a cold one to you from my hotel room.

Ah, yeah its a good place.

What are you flying these days?

White and blue Citation Excel/XLS for the past 2½ years; before that white and blue King Air 350s with the same company. Before that white and blue Cessna 402s and BN-2s. I’m detecting a pattern here... if that’s the case, hopefully I’ll have a shot someday with that company that flies white and blue Airbuses. But until then, I’m in a pretty good spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hopefully I’ll have a shot someday with that company that flies white and blue Airbuses.

There are a bunch of us here at a place that happens to fly those particular Airbuses... they really like applicants that have corporate/135/91/etc. time on the resume. Unless you are talking about the other two places with the same color scheme, in which case I have no idea.. Once hiring picks up again on the other side of all of this, I think that you'll be able to jump ship to my shop if you are interested.

I’m detecting a pattern here... if that’s the case, hopefully I’ll have a shot someday with that company that flies white and blue Airbuses. But until then, I’m in a pretty good spot.
There are a bunch of us here at a place that happens to fly those particular Airbuses... they really like applicants that have corporate/135/91/etc. time on the resume.

Hey we got white and blue airbuses too!
@ChasenSFO :D
1610782152397.png

There are a bunch of us here at a place that happens to fly those particular Airbuses... they really like applicants that have corporate/135/91/etc. time on the resume. Unless you are talking about the other two places with the same color scheme, in which case I have no idea.. Once hiring picks up again on the other side of all of this, I think that you'll be able to jump ship to my shop if you are interested.

That’s what I’m hoping. Several folks from my current employer have made the jump there, and many more from my previous employer, so I happen to know a decent number of people there and was able to get some internal recommendations... it just so happened I submitted my application in the last open window, right as the... well, you know:
giphy.gif

On the bright side I’m glad I wasn’t in training somewhere at the bottom of someone’s seniority list last year, and hopefully in the not too distant future I’ll have chance. In the meantime I’m in a good spot and really can’t complain.

Hey we got white and blue airbuses too!
@ChasenSFO :D

The one I’m thinking of has a domicile an hour from my house in the northeast, I don’t think Alaska has any northeast bases... I haven’t sat in a jump seat in over 6 years and am perfectly fine with never seeing one again. But they always seemed like a good west coast gig.

The other white and blue place hates Airbuses.

Shrug-Emoji.jpg

The one I’m thinking of has a domicile an hour from my house in the northeast, I don’t think Alaska has any northeast bases... I haven’t sat in a jump seat in over 6 years and am perfectly fine with never seeing one again. But they always seemed like a good west coast gig.

Ah yes, the New York base back when the Airbuses were red and white. That’s all gone now.

That’s what I’m hoping. Several folks from my current employer have made the jump there, and many more from my previous employer, so I happen to know a decent number of people there and was able to get some internal recommendations... it just so happened I submitted my application in the last open window, right as the... well, you know:
giphy.gif

On the bright side I’m glad I wasn’t in training somewhere at the bottom of someone’s seniority list last year, and hopefully in the not too distant future I’ll have chance. In the meantime I’m in a good spot and really can’t complain.

Latest I heard is that we "drained the pool" so everyone is going to have to start from scratch when things pick up again.

Driving to work at my shop (or any shop I guess) is the greatest job in the world. And the trips out of the base that's "1 hr from home" are pretty nice.

Yeah, being in training when the above happened is a real catch 22. Rumors are all over the place about future staffing needs, I think that it's a little too early to project anything. The next few months will be very telling.

I do the transcon commute again west to east and it's a special kind of miserable.

Back