A Little "Lloyd For The Soul" . . .

mtsu_av8er

There has been a lot going on here in the past several months, and it's been truly challenging for many of us.

Non of us within the industry have been untouched by the price of oil. For some of us, it means paycuts. For others it means furlough, or even total layoffs.

Like many others, I've been personally affected by all of this. My base is closing, and it looks like my days of flying the E145 are over. I'm being voluntarily displaced to a different certificate, and a different airplane. I'm leaving many of my friends, as well as my comfort zone, to start in a new place.

Guess what?

I STILL LOVE THIS JOB!!

Sure, I could focus on the negative, and a lot of people do. But, I get to fly airplanes! How many people get to follow their dream and do what they've always wanted to do? Not very many!

I'm still living the dream every day, folks!!

There has been a lot going on here in the past several months, and it's been truly challenging for many of us.

Non of us within the industry have been untouched by the price of oil. For some of us, it means paycuts. For others it means furlough, or even total layoffs.

Like many others, I've been personally affected by all of this. My base is closing, and it looks like my days of flying the E145 are over. I'm being voluntarily displaced to a different certificate, and a different airplane. I'm leaving many of my friends, as well as my comfort zone, to start in a new place.

Guess what?

I STILL LOVE THIS JOB!!

Sure, I could focus on the negative, and a lot of people do. But, I get to fly airplanes! How many people get to follow their dream and do what they've always wanted to do? Not very many!

I'm still living the dream every day, folks!!

Well enjoy the new airplane Lloyd. I'm glad you still love your job. Its easy to say when you still have one. Not only that, but you're going to a bigger airplane which means more money when you get to the left seat.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see your peril, other than the base closing. A little "Lloyd bragging" rather than "Lloyd for the soul".

I'm sorry, but I fail to see your peril, other than the base closing. A little "Lloyd bragging" rather than "Lloyd for the soul".

Oh, no - not making it out to be "peril" . . . that was my whole point. Life IS still good.

A lot of people go out of their way to make this a miserable career. we enjoy whining to others, and complaining about how bad it is. For some, it might be horrible. My place in the circle is to make sure that the newbies that are still starry-eyed realize that there are still happy people in this industry.

I won't complain about my peril . . . I'll only celebrate the good points.

You hit the nail on the head, Airdale. ;)

Oh, no - not making it out to be "peril" . . . that was my whole point. Life IS still good.

A lot of people go out of their way to make this a miserable career. we enjoy whining to others, and complaining about how bad it is. For some, it might be horrible. My place in the circle is to make sure that the newbies that are still starry-eyed realize that there are still happy people in this industry.

I won't complain about my peril . . . I'll only celebrate the good points.

You hit the nail on the head, Airdale. ;)

Well I'm happy for you that things are working out. Honestly I think its great that this company is actually planning on following the CBA. After all, what good is seniority and a contract if its not enforced.

Truth is, I've flown with a LOT of miserable people on the RW side right now. Lots of CA's getting downgraded (beware of those guys). I understand their frustrations with the industry and I feel it too, but their preachin to the choir . I don't really complain much about the job, in fact I really enjoy the job when I get to fly with a good crew.

I know they say the furlough will be temporary, but it still doesn't make it easier to swallow the fact that come Sept. 1st I'm scheduled to be unemployed on my couch. Hardly the same situation as getting transfered to another certificate. So while things are great for some, they suck for other.

And btw, don't listen to Kingairer. Autopilot OFF, in FLCH, with Autothrottle ON = BAD BAD BAD!!! (Lets just say I got a few green eyebrows lookin down a few months ago during a handflown visual approach with AT engaged. :) ) AT's suck in gusty winds too...

I too have to say that I enjoy my job. Not that I ever have to go to it. This flying 25 hours a month is exhausting :p

Ready reserve is a little bit boring though. 6 hours left.... but other than that its pretty sweet, no matter what surreal says :p

Spot on Lloyd! As usual, very good advice from someone with lots of life experience. Other pilots besides the under 25 guys are having fun out there too folks. This is the type of attitude that Doug and Kristie want to promote!

Joe they're flying you 25hrs! Thats ridiculous. I would have filed a grievance over that nonsense. I've never been so tired having flying 10 hrs and working 7 days(2days of that were LOFT) last month!:D

Alas, auto-throttles!!:(

Resistance is futile! ;)

Trust me, you'll like them. They save a ton of fuel, and really, there's no fun in monkeying around with throttles in cruise anyway. And you can always click them off for an approach if you're in the mood for a little fun. I do that occasionally to stay in practice and to have a little fun actually flying the airplane.

Joe they're flying you 25hrs! Thats ridiculous. I would have filed a grievance over that nonsense. I've never been so tired having flying 10 hrs and working 7 days(2days of that were LOFT) last month!:D

That explains why I see everyone from our class every once and a while but never any of your ATR guys. That and I guess you have your own little cave over there in D concourse. I still don't even know where that is.

Having fun here also. Dash 8 - fun plane to fly.

BTW, Lloyd, which airport serve corndog? :D I would eat that as my lunch.

Back