A little guidance please ;)

nimblybimbly85

I have a B.S. in Aviation Operations and a Business Minor from San Jose State University. I was working on flight training at KRHV and I came to the realization that I more enjoy flying as a hobby than as a career. So now I am looking to get my A&P and start out working in GA and then move to a Regional and then hopefully Corporate.

How realistic and attainable is this career path? Do I have better chances of making it than pursuing a pilot career?

I understand the pay isn't all that great and I understand there are odd shifts (which I fine with me) and I understand it is still aviation which in itself is unstable. But is a mechanic gig more stable and easier to get into than flying for a living?

Thanks a lot!!!

I have a B.S. in Aviation Operations and a Business Minor from San Jose State University. I was working on flight training at KRHV and I came to the realization that I more enjoy flying as a hobby than as a career. So now I am looking to get my A&P and start out working in GA and then move to a Regional and then hopefully Corporate.

How realistic and attainable is this career path? Do I have better chances of making it than pursuing a pilot career?

I understand the pay isn't all that great and I understand there are odd shifts (which I fine with me) and I understand it is still aviation which in itself is unstable. But is a mechanic gig more stable and easier to get into than flying for a living?

Thanks a lot!!!

I think there are more A&P jobs out there. Also, if you get your IA that can be a gravy train (yep I said it :)) at some airports. If you do decide to get your commerical, you will have a distinct advantage over others about system ops etc. I often see jobs that want a pilot w/ and A&P. That opens more jobs for you too.

My grandfather who is a pilot and A&P/IA told me to get the mechanics rating. At the time I figured I knew best and didn't get it. If you have the chance, I would definately get it. This is all assuming you like to work on airplanes though. Some people do not.

I hope this rambling helps. If yyou have any questions, let me know.

If not an a/p, maybe a dispatch certificate? The way I see it the more ratings the better it looks on yor resume for future flying careers....

Thanks a lot!!!

Not a mechanic myself, but I am always hearing that there is a shortage of qualified mechanics. I would think that maintenance would be more stable than piloting.

A word of caution though. The majority of airline maintenance work is done on the graveyard shift, 7 days a week, including holidays. You say yo are fine with odd hours, but that is now. Think about it 10 or 20 years from now.

Back