A happy tail...

Murdoughnut

Well sized member
Back in April I signed up to do a "Pilots N' Paws" flight. There was a border collie up in Valdosta, GA that was heart worm positive and about to be given the big blue needle in a matter of days. A border college rescue group in Tampa Bay had agreed to take her in and get her treated, but they needed a way to get her from Valdosta, to the bay area. I volunteered to do the flight and took a few photos along the way.

Josie the dog (as the shelter named her). You can't tell from this pic, but she was super friendly
josie3.jpg

Kick the tires and light the fires - getting ready to head out. BTW, the 7100Q painted on the ground is from our old aircraft that was involved in the fatal accident a year and a half ago.
IMG_1027.jpg

Ran into a small frontal line moving through the area - had to climb up to 7,000 to get through it, and even then I ended up squeezing through a fork in the clouds, 90% certain there were no more on the other side
IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Cedar Key
IMG_1032.jpg

Self-portrait enroute
IMG_1034.jpg

Our kick ass panel ... she's a 1981 by the way
IMG_1036.jpg

Not sure where this is - somewhere northern Florida
IMG_1039.jpg

Valdosta Regional Airport
IMG_1043.jpg

Valdosta FBO (super friendly staff - even gave me the Sun 'N Fun discount when they found out what I was doing ...
IMG_1044.jpg

IMG_1045.jpg

So here I've made the pickup - the shelter staff brought the dog to me, and the rescue group let me borrow a crate. The crate fit without a centimeter to spare in the cargo hold, which was great because I was able to load her from the cargo door. That's not the texture of our back seat by the way, I had a blanket thrown over it to cut down on the hair.
IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

Nuclear power plant at Crystal River
IMG_1057.jpg

Just northwest of Tampa Bay
IMG_1058.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

Clearwater Beach
IMG_1062.jpg

Dropped her off at Albert Whitted which is where the rescue organizer met me ... she was happy to be out of the plane, but otherwise did fine, even without mutt muffs
IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

And headed to her foster home ...
IMG_1068.jpg

And finally ... I got word that she healed completely and was adopted by a very good looking older couple. She's a great dog, super friendly and affectionate - I'm sure they'll be very happy with her.

jet.jpg

thats awesome man.

looks like a great way to build time and do something positive at the same time.

Awesome!

I have often found great satisfaction in volunteering my time to work with animals. Well done, sir! :clap:

Thanks guys - it was a lot of fun. Honestly the best flight I've ever made. Check out pilotsnpaws.org if you're interested in getting involved!

Back