A Few Questions about UND

9GulfTango

I am about 90% sure I will be attending UND in Fall of 2014. As the title of the post implies, I have a few questions!
  1. What can I expect coming to UND after earning my PPL pt. 61? From what I have seen elsewhere, I will take Avit 112? Is that the only flying I will be doing for the first semester? How soon can I get started on the Instrument?
  2. What can I do to make the transition from pt. 61 to UND easier? Are their any resources I can utilise in order to learn the "UND way?"
  3. What is the typical schedule like for a freshman aviation student? What kind of classes can I expect to take?
  4. How easy or hard is it to be hired as an instructor while still a student? After graduation?
  5. What is the feasibility of completing a Commercial aviation degree in 3 years? I would be willing to stay over summers.
Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Welcome to Jetcareers!!

1) I had the same experience. Came in from a part61 PPl school. You are correct that your flight course is 112 but you will still be taking the 102 ground course. I learned quite a bit even though I had my PPL so embrace it. 112 is most likely the only flying you will do. They used to offer an accelerated 221 course (intro to instrument flying) that started about 6 weeks into the semester but it is based off of demand.
2) The transition is one that is what most people struggle with. UND operates with a very standard way of flying. If you could find access to the UND 172 Standardization Manual, that would be your best guide.
3) The classes that you take are really up to you. Being as you will only be in the 112 flight course, which is really easily accomplished by the end of Sept, they you will have a pretty relaxing semester. I suggest taking AVIT 100, ATSC 110, and a few other basic courses to begin. Your advisor that you meet with to schedule classes can give you further suggestions.
4) Being hired as an instructor while you are still a student is very feasible if you are able to balance classes. I was hired while I was a junior and left for the airlines just after I graduated. All that was in 3.5 years so its really up to your work ethic. I spent summers up there flying and taking classes.
5)Refer to the above answer.

Best of luck at UND. The winters are tough but you adapt. Summers are awesome! If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Many people on this board are willing to help out.

Dan

P.S My biggest tip for you is to knock out the 112 flight course as quick as possible. I have seen students take the whole semester to finish, which ends up costing that person quite a bit more money. Plus, nobody wants to be flying in November/December when its cold out and midterms/finals are taking place.

Coming into UND after a part 61 license can be very easy or very difficult, depending on the quality of training you had. There is typically still a 221 accelerated course that will begin part way through the semester. I would definitely recommend taking this if you plan to finish the degree in 3 years.

As for the UND way, try to get a copy of the safety policies and procedures and 172 standardization manual. Both of these will help you learn the UND way and give you a huge advantage when you begin flying in GFK.

As for classes it will all depend, AVIT 100, 112, and 221 would be good places to start. ATSC 110 and maybe an an English and math class to start getting some of the essential studies requirements complete. Either way I would try and talk to your faculty advisor and come up with a 3 or 4 year plan.

Being hired as an instructor is not that difficult as long as you are a competent pilot and can safely operate the aircraft ( I'm still not sure how I got hired).

As said above it all depends on your work ethic, there is a lot of work involved. If you did stay over the summer it would definitely be possible to finish in 3 years, but it wouldn't plan on instructing part time if you want to finish that quickly. When you start instructing it becomes more about the students schedule and time then yours, it can easily take 4 hours from pre brief to post brief with a 102 student, and that makes it difficult to schedule classes and get the ones you need.

All of what was posted here is really good advice, so I'll add a couple of things I hadn't seen mentioned.

When you're flying, do whatever you can to get ahead of template if possible. Fall and spring are always terrible for weather (week long stretches of low ceilings and icing are pretty common), and while 112 is short enough that weather normally isn't a huge issue, any course involving cross country time (especially 221) can be a nightmare if weather hits at the wrong time.

Before you go to UND, go through your logbook and make sure everything adds up. When I taught at UND, I had a 112 student with a logbook that confused the heck out of myself, a lead instructor, and the records department, which meant that I got to spend several (unpaid) hours going through the stupid thing and trying to make sense of it.

Thanks for your help guys! Any ideas on where I could find the standardization manual?
Also would there be a benefit to logging some xc pic time before I go to UND? (for the IR if the weather is an issue)

Thanks for your help guys! Any ideas on where I could find the standardization manual?
Also would there be a benefit to logging some xc pic time before I go to UND? (for the IR if the weather is an issue)

All of your IR stuff is in a part 141 TCO. You can fly it outside UND, but none of it will count toward the course.

Obligatory Warning: I'm assuming you've considered why you are seeking a career in aviation already. If you haven't I strongly suggest you look around and have a full understanding of this industry to include: the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes I ask students what made them interested in this program, career path and what their aspirations are. I hear very interesting things, ideas, perceptions about this profession some that are almost fairy tale like. Make sure you're in it for the long haul and fully understand what you're getting into. I don't mean to discourage you but I feel morally obligated to have you ask yourself what it is you want (many times what you want at 18 is not what you'll want at 26). This is a great career for some and a miserable one for others. Don't get blinded by the shiny jets. And now...

1. In my experience as an instructor I would say that people coming here with their private complete is an advantage. This however is a generality as I started 102 here with no flying experience and was successful. Now I've had a student this year who I completed 221 and 222 with (he just passed his 222 final stage check). Started with him in August 2013 for 221 in the fall, then 222 in the spring semester. This student completed 112 during the summer. Unfortunately we finished 222 before it was really spring ;) If you're able to, consider trying to start in the summer... maybe it's too late for that though I don't know how enrollment works.

2. Standardization manual and UND checklists are a great place to start. Although I'm not sure how you'd manage to get a copy of them.

3. You will meet with an adviser who will assist you in scheduling up your first semester. They have experience and know what will and wont work.

4. I've seen different hiring sessions here. I've seen 150 people show up for 30 jobs, and I've seen 40 people show up for 25 jobs. From what I've seen out of the last couple new hire classes I would say the majority have not graduated and only hold CFI certificates. If you are hired as an instructor before you graduate you would most likely be part time and have 1 or maybe 2 students.

5. I'd say 3 to 3.5 is possible if you stay here every summer, but what's the rush!

4. I've seen different hiring sessions here. I've seen 150 people show up for 30 jobs, and I've seen 40 people show up for 25 jobs. From what I've seen out of the last couple new hire classes I would say the majority have not graduated and only hold CFI certificates. If you are hired as an instructor before you graduate you would most likely be part time and have 1 or maybe 2 students.

Although, the last couple hiring sessions have been more like 40 people showing up for 50 jobs. Pilot shortage FTW!

Back