Which would you choose?

• Endeavor

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Compass

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Skywest

Votes: 17 45.9%

• Total voters
I've been looking at the forums for a while not as a member and could use some constructive feedback from those who are apart of these regionals. I've been hired by all 3 and currently live in MSP and am having a hard time deciding. Most people say "Just do what works best for you" but this is a much harder choice than that and I'd value some of your feedback on each. Please don't troll this thread with useless information. I'm trying to make the best decision for my family and I of where to launch my career.

Ideally I would like to be MSP based and all of these carriers provide that. I would be fine with a 3 year upgrade jet time is jet time right now and the majors are taking people without TPIC. What I state below is just facts that I've gathered along the way. If I'm wrong about something please correct me.

Here is where I see everything right now.

Endeavor has some upside being owned by Delta. I'm not entirely sold on the Delta Kool Aid that they are selling. The fact that Endeavor can piggyback on Delta does make sense as to why they can run it cheaper than most regionals. What I don't understand is why did Delta shut down Comair, sell Mesaba, and then sell Compass? Then a year later buy Pinnacle out of bankruptcy when they claimed they were trying to get out of the regional business. The $20K retention bonus is great on paper but it's not going to have much merit if the company isn't around in a year. Why does the bonus only go until 2018? What's going to happen in 2018? They are also bringing back more CRJ200's which I don't understand since their fleet plan was to shrink to just the 81 CRJ900s. Reserve is currently 6-10 months and their future is debatable. Morale is also pretty low it seems. Yes they have turned things around but I don't think everyone is totally sold yet.

Compass has all 76 seat airplanes which solidifies their position in the regional game as they don't have a bunch of 50 seaters to deal with. They are already small enough that there isn't likely to be any shrinkage of the company and they are never overstaffed. The morale seems higher at Compass than most of the regionals. It's clearly a different company than it was before Trans States bought them. I have reservations as to whether or not the MSP base will stay in place. It seems most of the flying is shifting west and due to the size of the company it's probably much easier to sell or merge than say Skywest or 9E. I think they are a solid choice, but I wonder about MSP being a base for the long term.

Skywest is attractive because of their solid business history and ability to adapt and change. They also have MSP as the most junior base. What concerns me is that they have a bunch of 200's to park in the coming years. Does anyone have an idea of how long MSP will be a base? I know historically Skywest doesn't really come this far and sticks mostly to the West side of the U.S. upgrade times are probably a little longer but the security the company provides with their track record is comforting that they won't be out of business in the coming years.

Based on your honest opinion which one would you pick if you wanted company stability, living in base, QOL, and upgrade time. Ideally I'd like to be with a pilot group that doesn't complain about their company every trip. If anyone has anything positive or negative please add it to my thoughts!

Ideally I'd like to be with a pilot group that doesn't complain about their company every trip
Then what would we talk about??.... This happens everywhere. Even the guys at NASA are probably complaining about how good things were "in the good ole' days"

My only advice is live in base if you can. Since, you've got that squared away, your life will be much better no matter where you go...all the other stuff at the regionals is a crap shoot and it changes all the time. Good luck!

If you want money, endeavor...if you want job satisfaction and great employees go compass or Skywest (I know nothing about the job satisfaction of endeavor employees).

My 2 cents. I am not at any of the above... though I do work for the SkyWest subsidiary Another SkyWest Airline.

I don't see Endeavor going away. Two years ago, maybe. But the landscape has shifted and regional pilots are now a commodity. Merged maybe. I would actually not be surprised to see legacies go back to owning regionals in order to get control of the pilot groups as feeders for their mainline as pilots retire.

50 seats. Again, two years ago they were going away, though never entirely in spite of what some might say. Now with fuel prices depressed the speed of retirement has been delayed.

Bases come and go with regionals. Also look at bases commutable from MSP.

Look at training. Some regionals are backed up with training. I would avoid a place where you will sit around for six months. That is usually a bad sign.

9E or SKYW have the most likelyhood for you to hold MSP I would think. I think all three are good choices.

Msp has notoriously bad parings for Skywest people. Of course that can change but I'd steer clear if you have other options.

Msp has notoriously bad parings for Skywest people. Of course that can change but I'd steer clear if you have other options.
I am advised they improved somewhat next month, but I don't pay much attention to that end of the airline - much larger and more immediate fish to fry.

SKYW: The upgrade time is dropping, slowly, and day-to-day life would be would be easier to endure.

I am advised they improved somewhat next month, but I don't pay much attention to that end of the airline - much larger and more immediate fish to fry.
If it's anything like DEN pairings, I'd say the liason was the best thing in that pay package.we have locals 2 days and 3 days again!

Last month 83% of trips were standups and 4 days. This month that dropped to 67%
and the average pay went up! I can imagine MSP also got a good bump. Not to mention on 1/1 the trip rig cones into effect, which makes all MSP pairings decent paying. Aka no more 16 hour 4 days.
GREAT SUCCESS!

If it's anything like DEN pairings, I'd say the liason was the best thing in that pay package.we have locals 2 days and 3 days again!

Last month 83% of trips were standups and 4 days. This month that dropped to 67%
and the average pay went up! I can imagine MSP also got a good bump. Not to mention on 1/1 the trip rig cones into effect, which makes all MSP pairings decent paying. Aka no more 16 hour 4 days.
GREAT SUCCESS!
Let's not all celebrate yet. C.W. from SFO needs to be in that job, not B.H.; heavy duty technical and analytical acumen is required.

Bases come and go with regionals. Also look at bases commutable from MSP.

Look at training. Some regionals are backed up with training. I would avoid a place where you will sit around for six months. That is usually a bad sign.

Both excellent pieces of advice!

Morale at 9E was mentioned... I would say morale is about as good as it's ever been since I started here. I've been here since right after the merger when morale was relatively high. It dipped big time after that during the bankruptcy and has since rebounded to be even higher than during the merger. The airline also runs VERY well now, OCC seems to have it together finally, and management seems to finally realize we might be worth treating like humans since they had so much trouble keeping us here for about 6-8 months.

I can't just not give my 2 cents about 9E. Let me know if you have any specific questions about anything.

Back