61.39(a) Endorsement Question

I was supposed to have my CFI-I checkride down in Florida this past weekend, but unfortunately Hurricane Irma messed that up. When I received training for this checkride, I completed it along with my CFI-A training, and therefore was endorsed at the same time. I'm coming up on 60 days since completing 3 hours with the instructor that signed me off for the checkride. However, after reviewing the endorsement, nowhere does it say the three hours has to be with the same instructor. Basically my question is if I were able to log an hour or so of training with another instructor, would that extend the valid time of the endorsement?

I was supposed to have my CFI-I checkride down in Florida this past weekend, but unfortunately Hurricane Irma messed that up. When I received training for this checkride, I completed it along with my CFI-A training, and therefore was endorsed at the same time. I'm coming up on 60 days since completing 3 hours with the instructor that signed me off for the checkride. However, after reviewing the endorsement, nowhere does it say the three hours has to be with the same instructor. Basically my question is if I were able to log an hour or so of training with another instructor, would that extend the valid time of the endorsement?

Great question. I don't know the answer, but I do know I would play it safe if possible, or get an answer in writing from the FSDO before meeting with a DPE as many of them can/will have different answers to that question.

Checking with the folks doing the ride is never bad advice but, FWIW,

I'm not aware of anything requiring all three hours to be with the same instructor. I can envision a number of scenarios in which that would be the case, including a simple final phase check with a second instructor.

But the old practical test endorsement itself is stale since the date of the endorsement would predate the new completion date of the required training. If the "new" instructor gives a new practical test endorsement, it's probably not a problem.

Does the fact it is not "60 days" but "2 calendar months" help at all?

Checking with the folks doing the ride is never bad advice but, FWIW,

I'm not aware of anything requiring all three hours to be with the same instructor. I can envision a number of scenarios in which that would be the case, including a simple final phase check with a second instructor.

But the old practical test endorsement itself is stale since the date of the endorsement would predate the new completion date of the required training. If the "new" instructor gives a new practical test endorsement, it's probably not a problem.

Does the fact it is not "60 days" but "2 calendar months" help at all?

You bring up a good point with "2 calendar months". My 3 hours with my recommending instructor were completed July 18, 2017. So by theory, 2 calendar months would mean I'm good until the end of September correct?

You bring up a good point with "2 calendar months". My 3 hours with my recommending instructor were completed July 18, 2017. So by theory, 2 calendar months would mean I'm good until the end of September correct?
Correct. But it's not the completion date that counts (from your question I think you know this). If all three hours were completed in July, you would be good until the end of September. It is a look back that works the same as 6-month instrument currency and all the other "calendar month" stuff.

Back