6 years after SFO crash, Asiana takes steps to ensure safety

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
...by suspending flights to San Francisco for 45 days.

Today Korea’s top court upheld a ruling that requires Asiana to suspend flights to San Francisco for a 45-day period within six months, as punishment for the accident.

Asiana Airlines says that the suspension will likely cost them about 11 billion won, which is about 9.3 million USD. The airline says that they will obey with the court order, but that they will consult with the transport ministry to select the period that would have the least impact on passengers.

As the airline said in a statement:

“We respect the court ruling. To minimize the inconvenience to our customers, we will consult with relevant organizations.”
You might be wondering why it has taken over six years for this punishment to finally happen. That’s because this has been quite a legal process:

• In November 2014 Korea’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport ordered the airline to suspend the route for 90 days, but they later reduced that punishment by half, on account of the airline agreeing to compensate victims
  • Asiana won an injunction in January 2015, allowing them to continue operations until a further ruling
  • Subsequent court rulings all agreed with the initial decision, but the timeline for this being implemented kept getting pushed back

Asiana Suspending SFO Flights Due To 2013 Crash | One Mile at a Time

They say aviation safety is tombstone technology. Hasn't Korean Aviation seen enough tomb stones by 2019 to get with the program? The US report blames poor flying, poor training, and a bad safety culture. The Korean report blames SFO for having an INOP ILS on a nice summer VFR day, Boeing for not having a fully automated anti-stall system like an Airbus, and thinks that shaming the airline at the expense of travelers will fix the problem. Korea is a really weird place.

...by suspending flights to San Francisco for 45 days.

Asiana Suspending SFO Flights Due To 2013 Crash | One Mile at a Time

They say aviation safety is tombstone technology. Hasn't Korean Aviation seen enough tomb stones by 2019 to get with the program? The US report blames poor flying, poor training, and a bad safety culture. The Korean report blames SFO for having an INOP ILS on a nice summer VFR day, Boeing for not having a fully automated anti-stall system like an Airbus, and thinks that shaming the airline at the expense of travelers will fix the problem. Korea is a really weird place.

I'm on the road and don't have bandwith to download the article...

What did they do? Teach their pilots to fly airplanes???

No, the federal aviation agency's action in response to the crash is to force Asiana to suspend ICN-SFO for 45 days.
Now?!? 6 years later seems sensible to me.
I know that when I'm training my dogs and kids, a big gap between behavior and punishment/reward seems to be a highly effective instructive response.:rolleyes:

Now?!? 6 years later seems sensible to me.
I know that when I'm training my dogs and kids, a big gap between behavior and punishment/reward seems to be a highly effective instructive response.:rolleyes:
From the article:
You might be wondering why it has taken over six years for this punishment to finally happen. That’s because this has been quite a legal process:

• In November 2014 Korea’s Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport ordered the airline to suspend the route for 90 days, but they later reduced that punishment by half, on account of the airline agreeing to compensate victims
  • Asiana won an injunction in January 2015, allowing them to continue operations until a further ruling
  • Subsequent court rulings all agreed with the initial decision, but the timeline for this being implemented kept getting pushed back

Back