6 months until I am 31

mrmet86

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there heard of the FAA rushing along the older applicants before the younger ones. I will turn 31 in December and I fear I wont be able to make the cut. I just took the exam on Monday and I received a score of 95, now I have less than 6 months to get hired. what are your thoughts?

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there heard of the FAA rushing along the older applicants before the younger ones. I will turn 31 in December and I fear I wont be able to make the cut. I just took the exam on Monday and I received a score of 95, now I have less than 6 months to get hired. what are your thoughts?

o iam sure the kind careing FFA will just jump on that one right away,and you only have to have a job offer before your 31 birthday, not employed by 31.

o iam sure the kind careing FFA will just jump on that one right away,and you only have to have a job offer before your 31 birthday, not employed by 31.

Never said they were kind, i was just saying that maybe they looked at age before making offers, i.e, hiring a 30 year old with no eligibility before they higher a 22 year old with 9 years left and the same "highly qualified" test scores.

mrmet86,

I certainly hope they respond to you asap. I know of an applicant who applied for the Feb.08 deadline, took the AT-SAT exam in March, and will now will be attending the Memphis PEPC later this month. Even had an opportunity to attend the NY PEPC next week. I say this and hope it works out for you b/c I applied for the Virginia announcement in June 2007, got a letter in February 2008 inviting me to take the AT-SAT exam which I did in March and finally off to OKC on July 29th. So the entire process took over a year for me. The FAA has certainly sped up the process. I'm rooting for you!

mrmet86,

I certainly hope they respond to you asap. I know of an applicant who applied for the Feb.08 deadline, took the AT-SAT exam in March, and will now will be attending the Memphis PEPC later this month. Even had an opportunity to attend the NY PEPC next week. I say this and hope it works out for you b/c I applied for the Virginia announcement in June 2007, got a letter in February 2008 inviting me to take the AT-SAT exam which I did in March and finally off to OKC on July 29th. So the entire process took over a year for me. The FAA has certainly sped up the process. I'm rooting for you!

Thanks, that makes me feel a ton better. good luck to you.

Hello All,

I am 31 in Decemember as well. I contacted someones @ ye olde FAA to inquire about what milestone you have to hit before your 31st Birthday to make the cut and they let me know once you receive your Tentative Offer Letter which you generally receive at your PEPC that freezes your age.

I am 31 in Decemember as well. I contacted someones @ ye olde FAA to inquire about what milestone you have to hit before your 31st Birthday to make the cut and they let me know once you receive your Tentative Offer Letter which you generally receive at your PEPC that freezes your age.

When did you take your exam? Have you been invited to PEPC yet?

If you go to the Pepc in August and have all your background check stuff in order and ready to go then you should get your final offer before December. All this is assuming you pass everything else. I had my background check get held up because they were waiting for some medical records and I had a few extra forms to fill out in the weeks after my pepc. I am still waiting on a class date and have not received an "official" fol, but I spoke with my contact and he told me that I have already received the job and would still be ok if I did not get a school date by the time I hit 31. My b'day is in January, but lol you never know, so I just asked to be sure.

My advice. If your already scheduled for the pepc in August...just make sure it sticks and you have everything done on your end that you can possibly think of...but I really think your in the clear time wise.

Hello All,

I am 31 now.

AT-SAT: Dec 07
referral: April 08
Birthday: April 08 (31)
PEPC in LA: June 18, 08 (Received TOL)
OKC: July 28, 08 (pending FOL)

I was just lucky. They don't look at your age. (I don't say that in a positive way) They don't even talk about your age. But it is important. What I have heard and believe me this was a huge issue for me was as long as your referral is in before you turn 31 then you are okay. The referral comes from the Facility Controller that wants to hire you - if you can speak with the manager at the facility you want to go to and explain your situation then maybe they will be on the look out for your app and "help" it along. (so to speak) I do not have my FOL yet and I will not jump for joy until I do but I have been told the only thing they are waiting on is my fingerprints.

Never said they were kind, i was just saying that maybe they looked at age before making offers, i.e, hiring a 30 year old with no eligibility before they higher a 22 year old with 9 years left and the same "highly qualified" test scores.
I'm 30 and going to interview monday, so don't sweat it.

my family member is 30 and 3 months old
he got a great score on the atsat/ has more than the educational qualifications needed /
he has an amazing work history /he chose 2 states as asked for.. but would have been willing to relocate /
and he got referred ..but did not get chosen for an interview anywhere.
it was kind of hard to see all the celebrating people with lesser scores who had connections and /or minority distinctions..
when he called to make sure there was no lost email... he was given no reason as to why no one picked him up.but was told to reapply.
it didnt seem like anyone took his age into account at all.
since he didnt know to apply for the other openings while he was waiting for referral.. he just applied for the june 30 offering and by the time they get back to him who knows if he will still be age elligible..
so reality check here.. unless you are already invited to a pepc// know someone ,etc.. it might be a long shot. best of luck...

he got a great score on the atsat/ has more than the educational qualifications needed /
he has an amazing work history /he chose 2 states as asked for.. but would have been willing to relocate /
it was kind of hard to see all the celebrating people with lesser scores who had connections and /or minority distinctions..
when he called to make sure there was no lost email... he was given no reason as to why no one picked him up.but was told to reapply.
since he didnt know to apply for the other openings while he was waiting for referral.. he just applied for the june 30 offering and by the time they get back to him who knows if he will still be age elligible..
so reality check here.. unless you are already invited to a pepc// know someone ,etc.. it might be a long shot. best of luck...

Sorry to veer off-topic, but...Suffolk co. represent.

The referral comes from the Facility Controller that wants to hire you - if you can speak with the manager at the facility you want to go to and explain your situation then maybe they will be on the look out for your app and "help" it along. (so to speak) I do not have my FOL yet and I will not jump for joy until I do but I have been told the only thing they are waiting on is my fingerprints.

Except the fact that unless your facility manager is on the hiring comitee, they have no say what so ever on whether your hired or not.

I'm reviving this since the Geo Prefs for the 5/2 crowd are starting to make their way around. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that they schedule at least one PEPC before Decemeber so I can pick up a TOL if I am (hopefully) selected. I'll turn 31 on Dec 12th.

Hello All,

That's not how hiring works in the federal arena. The only preference allowed under the law is veterans pref. They wont even know about your age dillema until it's too late. Hopefully you get to your PEPC before your birthday. The closest thing I can think of, to what you are asking, is if your birthday is falling in the same week as the PEPCs. Then you could call and ask for a PEPC in another state that happens to fall a day or so before your birthday, but aside from that... I wouldn't expect any "rush" on your application due to your age.

I took the AT-SAT on March 17, 2008 with a passing score of 96.8. I received my referral on June 6th and attended the PEPC in Memphis and received my TOL on July 21st, with 7 days before my 31st B-Day!!! This could all be a matter of timing, but from the time I got my referral to the time I got my TOL was a little over a month.

I fall along the same lines of qualifications as your relative... I am a six year Army Veteran (Combat) with a BAS in Organizational Management. I have worked for the Post Office since I got out of the Army in '04. It actually applied twice for a position, which put me dangerously close to my 31st B-day. However; I finally got my TOL 7 days before my 31st and I am so thankful for that. But,I'm mostly thankful for that MINORITY DISTINCTION that you so adamantly write about. Easy!!! Seems like your'e one more incident from going all David Ernest Duke on this forum!!! So with that being said (scribed)... Are women able to vote?

Shalom,

Jim Crow for President!!!

Back