44709 Re-Exam

Eddie_X59

This occurred at a 141 school. Student passes PPL, then while instrument training lands an RG gear up. Typical investigation , insurance claim occurs. Ok, no problem. Then student continues training in a different aircraft and passes Instrument checkride with a DPE. Then goes on to pass single engine Commercial with a DPE. Then goes on to pass Multi-Engine Commercial with a DPE. Then... 6 months later FAA says, Hey we need to conduct a 44709 Re Exam for your Private Pilot License... uhmm.. that was 3 licenses ago. FAA says turn in your commercial license, it is no longer valid until the 44709 Re-Exam for your Private Pilot license is completed. Can anyone please shed light and explain why, after 3 additional checkrides, that this is not absurd. thank you for your time.

The wheels of the Gov'ment grind painfully slow. I suspect the accident/incident investigation and repercussion/penalty phase of the FAA pipeline simply moved slower than the licensing pipeline and never shall the other know about each other. :rolleyes:

The wheels of the Gov'ment grind painfully slow. I suspect the accident/incident investigation and repercussion/penalty phase of the FAA pipeline simply moved slower than the licensing pipeline and never shall the other know about each other. :rolleyes:
Certainly possible but a ASI sending out a 709 letter without checking the current pilot record is lazier than most of the ASIs I have met.

Certainly possible but a ASI sending out a 709 letter without checking the current pilot record is lazier than most of the ASIs I have met.

Eh, I wouldn’t say lazy but certainly sloppy.
One time I had an asi call me. “I’m joe inspector, I want to ask you a few questions about your accident in your (experimental aircraft) at XYZ Airport. “
Me “ is this a crank call?”
(I had never owned or operated that aircraft or ever had an accident )

The 709 was probably put in motion well before those other check rides took place. Call the inspector and have a conversation to see if those additional check rides will satisfy the 709 requirement. If not, it will be far easier to comply with the 709 ride then fight it. I have given instruction to two individuals in two different FSDOs in preparation for their 709 rides. Out of those two events I have learned that a pilot receiving a 709 ride is perceived as someone that jeopardizes the safety of aviation and that the inspectors do not want to fly with the pilots during those rides because of it. The system is basically saying “this pilot is dangerous, re-evaluate them. Ah hell no, I’m not flying with them.” The first one was for ground looping an aircraft, and the second was for landing off airport due to fuel exhaustion. The ground loop pilot was observed by the inspector from the ground while he did three circuits in the pattern, and the second pilot had a long oral exam about flight planning and aeronautical decision making.

It will be additional stress and training, but far easier to provide the aircraft and demonstrate the proficiency than hiring an attorney and dragging it out.

(Edited to add additional context)

Last edited:
Eh, I wouldn’t say lazy but certainly sloppy.
One time I had an asi call me. “I’m joe inspector, I want to ask you a few questions about your accident in your (experimental aircraft) at XYZ Airport. “
Me “ is this a crank call?”
(I had never owned or operated that aircraft or ever had an accident )
For the most part I've had good interactions... But there was one or two.

"You haven't met the requirements for your IA renewal, you don't have anything prior to last July."

"Yes I wasn't an IA before July."

"You still have to meet the requirements."

"Er.... How?"

"Well don't worry, I'm going to renew you anyway, but you should probably learn what the requirements are if you don't know that."

"Uh, okay, thank you sir."

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

This occurred at a 141 school. Student passes PPL, then while instrument training lands an RG gear up. Typical investigation , insurance claim occurs. Ok, no problem. Then student continues training in a different aircraft and passes Instrument checkride with a DPE. Then goes on to pass single engine Commercial with a DPE. Then goes on to pass Multi-Engine Commercial with a DPE. Then... 6 months later FAA says, Hey we need to conduct a 44709 Re Exam for your Private Pilot License... uhmm.. that was 3 licenses ago. FAA says turn in your commercial license, it is no longer valid until the 44709 Re-Exam for your Private Pilot license is completed. Can anyone please shed light and explain why, after 3 additional checkrides, that this is not absurd. thank you for your time.
Which FSDO? I've seen at least one other such out of order event occur.

Back