35 hours enough for Commercial heli Addon?

Fly_Unity

I'm a Fixed wing pilot, got a bit over 1000 hours (most of it dual given in 152/172's)

I called a 141 heli school and talked to an instructor. He said that they train in Schweitzer 300's and the minimum hours for the commercial add-on was 35 hours, however he said he never done an add-on rating so he didnt know if it was possible to do in that amount of hours. Is it realistic to get it done in 35 hours? Anyone here got much experience in giving Commercial add-ons?

Also is $310 an hour dual a good rate per hour? ($265 solo)

(I found a FAR part 61 school that has R-44's for $320 an hour plus $50 for the instructor (he told me I would have to do 50 hours though because its a Part 61 school). Does it make much difference in real life which helicopter is better to train in? )

hi never flew in a fix wing so far, but I am CFII helicopter rated...

allthough I never did any helicopter addons, I think it could be realistic to consider around 40/50 hours or so, but now there are no guaranties with this number, it will depend on you and on your cfi, I guess.
Edit: didn't catch that was for cplh and I am not sure that from scratch in helicopter up to the cplh, you could do it in 35 hours! I thought was for the pplh and eventhough the difference for the check ride is not huge, with 35 hours of helicopters... (FAARAIM says that you need more than that anyway... I guess it says need 100 helo, but I will check it out!)

141 wold be useless for you considering you already are a fix wing rated, which mean that's you would have to go again through all the common's ground school already acquired during your cpl and i am guessing with 1000 hours you may known your airspaces and regulations...

the aircraft you will fly for your training, will demonstrate your ability in it for a future job if it is your goal. Now a 300 is a great trainer and the R44 is a great aircraft to fly, not to compare with his little brother the R22 (which if nice also).

About the price of the 300 it is usually the price for a more powerfull version called: 300C. The 300 cb/CBI are a little bit less expansive to fly, around 260$ an hours usually.

Can I ask you where you want to do your training, because I have a plan for a R44 with a CFI/CFII for a better price (aircraft is not IFR equiped). I flew it for less than 200$ an hour, but the guy had increased the price due to maintenance and oil raises indeed...

I want to make it clear, I have nothing to gain here, just few advices if it can help and I am not the one who fly the R44 also eventhough I whish I would!:D

Do not hesitate to ask for more questions or to contact me with a PM...

In other hand, if one of you guys hear about a CFI/CFII position (helicopter) I am more than interested in:hiya:.

Take care

Davy

I expect that 35 hours would be an unreasonable expectation for adding on a Comm. RW. There is a lot of negative transfer from the FW enviornment. I think you should budget for 50 and go part 61. With fuel going up daily $310 is probably about right. Remember that you will have to be able to meet the PTS for Comm. helo and in my experience 35 hours just isn't enough. Good luck.

You have to have 50 hours to get your commercial add-on. Minimum time for a private add-on is 35.

FAA minimum requirements

1. Hold an FAA second class medical certificate
  2. Obtain a minimum of 50 hours of flight time in helicopters including:
    1. 15 hours dual instruction
    2. 35 hours Pilot in Command (PIC)
  3. Pass an FAA oral and flight test

Correct for Part 61. The original post mentioned Part 141 I don't know if the time is different there. 35 probably still isn't going to get it. Second class medical is required to if excercising Comm PRIVELEGES.

You have to have 50 hours to get your commercial add-on. Minimum time for a private add-on is 35.

FAA minimum requirements

1. Hold an FAA second class medical certificate
  2. Obtain a minimum of 50 hours of flight time in helicopters including:
    1. 15 hours dual instruction
    2. 35 hours Pilot in Command (PIC)
  3. Pass an FAA oral and flight test

The school that quoted me 35 hours was a part 141 school.

btw... The 35 PIC time you quoted, Does this have to be solo? How else would you get PIC time?

In order to log PIC you have to be private and then all the hours you will be flying will be PIC...

I'm a Fixed wing pilot, got a bit over 1000 hours (most of it dual given in 152/172's)

I called a 141 heli school and talked to an instructor. He said that they train in Schweitzer 300's and the minimum hours for the commercial add-on was 35 hours, however he said he never done an add-on rating so he didnt know if it was possible to do in that amount of hours. Is it realistic to get it done in 35 hours? Anyone here got much experience in giving Commercial add-ons?

Also is $310 an hour dual a good rate per hour? ($265 solo)

(I found a FAR part 61 school that has R-44's for $320 an hour plus $50 for the instructor (he told me I would have to do 50 hours though because its a Part 61 school). Does it make much difference in real life which helicopter is better to train in? )

I say just go Part 61 at the Part 141 school. Just because the school is part 141, it doesn't restrict you from training with them under part 61.

Back