31 years, 3 months, and 12 days.

Yeah, I looked at the Texas Aircraft website and was really impressed. Did see some good reviews on it on youtube. Thinking a high wing would be better than a low wing if I ever wanted to spot fish or do any sort of aerial observation work with it. Started looking at the Vashon Ranger, as well. That one doesn't have a chute option and BRS doesn't have an STC on it yet. I'm probably a year away from buying so will see keep an eye on any changes with the new LSA rules about to be adopted. Really would rather buy used but both these aircraft are pretty new designs so not going to be much out there.

I was hoping, at some point in the relatively near future, of making a trip to San Antonio and heading over to Hondo. If I do I will let you know what I thought of their set up. The only real question I have is the Rotax - but other than that the economics make it seem like a good deal for schools and instruction. Of course, taildraggers are my thing - but I ALWAYS had a soft spot for Cessna Cardinals and Cardinal RG's - the doors/ease of entry, the visibility, and I think Cardinals are pretty. This airplane shared some similarities with that which is why I first read about it - clicked on the pic. More I followed these guys the more impressed I was. I'll let you know.

Yeah. The Vashon Ranger has an O-200 while the Colt has the Rotax. I like the Rotax as it is happy with autogas. The O-200 will run on autogas but you had to find ethanol free fuel for the Cessna's fuel system. I'm not sure if they built the fuel systems in these LSAs's to withstand ethanol.

Congratulations, DE. An interesting thing that occurred to me is there are some of us who have been reading your posts and aviation musings for easily more than 50% of your total duration at UPS. Definitely one of the "old screenames" on various forums and always enjoyed reading what you have to say.

Enjoy the general aviation scene as you get into it -- I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with at some point.

Congratulations, DE. An interesting thing that occurred to me is there are some of us who have been reading your posts and aviation musings for easily more than 50% of your total duration at UPS. Definitely one of the "old screenames" on various forums and always enjoyed reading what you have to say.

Enjoy the general aviation scene as you get into it -- I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with at some point.
Thanks for the kind words. I hope to be around a while. Maybe we need a Geezer's forum. We can talk about how windshield deice meant opening the side window and using an ice scraper to make a little hole you could see through. Kid's these days have it so easy. That sort of thing.

Thanks. I don't consider it early. When I signed up for this career the mandatory retirement age was 60. Then they changed it to 65. Anyone hired before the age was changed should consider going beyond 60 as "late retirement". I was right on time...
Congrats. Glad at least someone in corporate 'murica still has the pension to do what's right for himself... and others.

Congratulations! I’m not on here much but I always enjoy your posts. I took 7 months of reduced pay “long call” last year during the height of covid and having worked in some capacity since I was 14, it opened my eyes to life without work. I missed flying, but I didn’t miss the work aspect, especially at my regional. Getting back into GA will scratch that itch for you.

At nearly (and only) 8 years, I’m super senior at my regional. I was hired at a good time here and have had a good time here, but I hope to move on. Seniority is everything and makes a huge difference on QOL. Congrats on your career and enjoy retirement.

Congratulations neighbor, maybe catch up with you for a brew at Stormy Mountain downtown this Summer
Sounds good. I should be around all summer. Turns out the owner of Stormy Mountain went to Big Bend and knows a couple guys I flew with at UPS who also went to BBCC. Small world.

Back