207 Down in Page AZ

Thrice in this thread it has been implied the pilot has passed on. The report is there has been one fatality and that was a passenger. Are there now more than one fatality?
Perhaps I didn't read properly, I thought I read in one of the earlier posts that the pilot was killed.

Pilot is fine (at least according to this).
From an ABC affiliate:
"Authorities have released the identity of a French tourist who died from injuries she suffered in a northern Arizona plane crash.
Page police Capt. Ray Varner says 79-year-old Jacquelina Vallois, of Le Havre, died Saturday. She was part of a group from France that chartered a Cessna 207 for a short sightseeing tour around Page.
Another passenger, Guy Vincent, was transported to Flagstaff Medical Center with back injuries. He was listed Tuesday in good condition.
The pilot and three other passengers were treated for minor injuries. A seventh person was unhurt.
Federal officials investigating the crash say the plane experienced a partial loss of power about 20 minutes into flight. The pilot was headed back toward the airport when the plane bounced short of the runway and landed upside down."

Partial loss of power. Sounds familiar. These aircraft need to be stage cooled and that is often not the case. The exhaust manifolds will break at the turbo and you will lose a good deal of boost. Fuel issues weren't uncommon either. I had a fuel tank crumple without and blockage and the crease kept the fuel from gravity feeding to the engine. Fortunately I had fuel in the other tank.

Partial loss of power. Sounds familiar. These aircraft need to be stage cooled and that is often not the case. The exhaust manifolds will break at the turbo and you will lose a good deal of boost. Fuel issues weren't uncommon either. I had a fuel tank crumple without and blockage and the crease kept the fuel from gravity feeding to the engine. Fortunately I had fuel in the other tank.

Oh no you didn't! Now we're going to be 300 pages deep in stage cooling

Only twice did I have a problem with the 207. Once was when flying an unfamiliar plane. That particular aircraft had engine gauges indicating vastly different than any of the others I had flown. Even though I had briefed with the pilot beforehand I was so surprised after takeoff that I returned for precautionary landing. The other was when about 10 nm out on the return leg I noticed everything but fuel flow was redlined. Just as I am on the radio to coordinate me getting to the front of the conga line I noticed oil on the windscreen. I forget what was the source of that. I announced PAN PAN. Everyone heard that and got out of the way except one of my coworkers. I was landing on 15 for a short final when he turned final for 33. I called him several times, no response, so I circled to land 33 behind him. Oh well. Improvise and overcome.

Well, there was one other problem I had with the plane. A fuel bladder (left) began to leak big time but that was caused by company ops of full right tank and 10 gallons only in the left tank causing the bladder to become brittle.

Well, there was one other problem I had with the plane. A fuel bladder (left) began to leak big time but that was caused by company ops of full right tank and 10 gallons only in the left tank causing the bladder to become brittle.

Explain please...

Bladders kept empty, or nearly so, would tend to collapse and dry out. This would result in the rubberized material becoming less pliable, more brittle. I've seen this on a 210 caused by old age and saw the same thing on that 207. How much keeping a bladder dry accelerates the effects of age in a bladder I cannot definitely say. But it seems a bladder kept dry does at least mimic the symptoms of an old bladder. This is all my opinion based on personal observation, including installing new bladders. Such opinion could be horse puckey.

Last edited:
Back