2020 ADS-B Mandate

Cheechako

I just bit the bullet and put an order in for a Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B out transponder for my 182.

I’ve been researching for a while how I was going to comply; IF I was going to comply. Most of my flying is outside the nearest Class C airspace, Anchorage, so I really don’t need it. What few times I might want to fly into Anchorage, it’ll be to Merrill Field where I can remain outside the C to get there. I’m not sure how long that’ll last- aren’t we supposed to have ADS-B within a certain radius of Class C, or within its actual boundaries?

I see it as an enhancement to safety. Another layer to see and be seen. Spending 99% of my flying behind a TCAS display, I feel naked without traffic information.

I considered the SkyBeacon, the wingtip all-in-one add on ($1000 less than any other option), but my Narco transponder and ACK encoder from the Jurassic age will probably need to be replaced in the near future anyway.

I narrowed it down to the Stratus ESG and the Garmin GTX 335. These coupled with my Garmin ADS-B receiver make the total package. Since Appereo won’t deliver to me, an every day average A&P (they’ll only ship the Stratus to an authorized installer), the only other choice was the Garmin.

I’ll install it myself: remove the Narco unit and tray, install the Garmin and GPS antenna. I’ll have my local avionics shop build a wiring harness. How hard could it possibly be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just bit the bullet and put an order in for a Garmin GTX 335 ADS-B out transponder for my 182.

I’ve been researching for a while how I was going to comply; IF I was going to comply. Most of my flying is outside the nearest Class C airspace, Anchorage, so I really don’t need it. What few times I might want to fly into Anchorage, it’ll be to Merrill Field where I can remain outside the C to get there. I’m not sure how long that’ll last- aren’t we supposed to have ADS-B within a certain radius of Class C, or within its actual boundaries?

I see it as an enhancement to safety. Another layer to see and be seen. Spending 99% of my flying behind a TCAS display, I feel naked without traffic information.

I considered the SkyBeacon, the wingtip all-in-one add on ($1000 less than any other option), but my Narco transponder and ACK encoder from the Jurassic age will probably need to be replaced in the near future anyway.

I narrowed it down to the Stratus ESG and the Garmin GTX 335. These coupled with my Garmin ADS-B receiver make the total package. Since Appereo won’t deliver to me, an every day average A&P (they’ll only ship the Stratus to an authorized installer), the only other choice was the Garmin.

I’ll install it myself: remove the Narco unit and tray, install the Garmin and GPS antenna. I’ll have my local avionics shop build a wiring harness. How hard could it possibly be?

Go for it!

Don't rely on it for traffic, pretty much at all. The amount of aircraft here without even a mode C make ADS-B all but worthless for traffic SA.
The only thing it, and even mode C buys you in south central is some slightly more direct departures and arrives from Lake Hood and Merrill.

Don't rely on it for traffic, pretty much at all. The amount of aircraft here without even a mode C make ADS-B all but worthless for traffic SA.
The only thing it, and even mode C buys you in south central is some slightly more direct departures and arrives from Lake Hood and Merrill.

The commercial floatplane traffic in the summer will all have it which will be cool.

I don’t want the gub’mint know where I is!!!! Also, from the narrows west a lot of planes won’t have it. Summer in the inlet it should be helpful. Some guys at work bring a Stratus, and it links to the iPads which is cool. But that is more money than I want to spend right now.

The commercial floatplane traffic in the summer will all have it which will be cool.
And that's about 1/4 the traffic surrounding the greater Anchorage area.

@Cheechako I'm eventually putting it in, if that is this spring or next winter I'm not sure. The better departures out of LHD make it, and mode c worth it to me.

And that's about 1/4 the traffic surrounding the greater Anchorage area.

@Cheechako I'm eventually putting it in, if that is this spring or next winter I'm not sure. The better departures out of LHD make it, and mode c worth it to me.
Truth, that said the amount of times I've almost schmucked a beaver near the power line bend is unsettling. At least this way I can see some of the others out there.

Truth, that said the amount of times I've almost schmucked a beaver near the power line bend is unsettling. At least this way I can see some of the others out there.
Ya, power line bend is terrifying. That and somehow despite the altitudes being mandatory, maybe half the people fly them, generally having never even opened the Alaska Supplement or not realizing there's more than an AF/D in there and it references FARs.
But my original point was you're not going to see much of the traffic in that area on the ADS-B in. Most is /X. Almost any time with your head not outside in that particular piece of real estate is not advisable.

Ya, power line bend is terrifying. That and somehow despite the altitudes being mandatory, maybe half the people fly them, generally having never even opened the Alaska Supplement or not realizing there's more than an AF/D in there and it references FARs.
But my original point was you're not going to see much of the traffic in that area on the ADS-B in. Most is /X. Almost any time with your head not outside in that particular piece of real estate is not advisable.

This is why I think ADS-B out should be mandatory on every airplane with an electrical system. But that's just me.

I currently fly with an ADS-B in receiver and see a lot of traffic. The more people that jump on board, the better it’ll be.

Most of my flying is from the Palmer-Wasilla area to Lake Clark- somewhat clear of the Lake Hood/Merrill segment bottlenecks.

I currently fly with an ADS-B in receiver and see a lot of traffic. The more people that jump on board, the better it’ll be.

Most of my flying is from the Palmer-Wasilla area to Lake Clark- somewhat clear of the Lake Hood/Merrill segment bottlenecks.

If you're mostly flying outside primary radar coverage, I'd recommend not going with the uavionix stuff. It doesn't do anything unless the transponder is replying to an inquiry, which it won't be doing in lake clark pass.

If you're mostly flying outside primary radar coverage, I'd recommend not going with the uavionix stuff. It doesn't do anything unless the transponder is replying to an inquiry, which it won't be doing in lake clark pass.
Hence why he’s using the GTX.

I've still yet to hear a reason to live up there.

I've still yet to hear a reason to live up there.
I don't think it's for you, it's not for most people hence the low population. From the times we've talked in person I don't remember you being into hunting, fishing, skiing(back country and touring, our lift served is meh at best), snow mobiles, remote cabins and hot springs. I don't remember you being particularly interested in GA until recently either. We have all those things better than anywhere else in the country. And more public land to do them on than the size of a lot of countries.
But if none of that is your thing, I can't think of why you'd live here either.

Back