2018 AvCrew Salary Survey

SrFnFly227

AvCrew is still accepting submissions for this year's salary survey. Everybody loves to bash the results of these things, so here is your chance to help make the results a bit more accurate.

I am in no way attached to AvCrew. Just passing on the link in an effort to get better results.

https://www.avcrew.com/2018-survey

They emailed out a free copy of the survey yesterday to everyone who participated. Only 500 responses.

Venting here for a minute. I posted about the survey here and in the APC forum. I also posted in 2 Facebook groups, one of which has 5600 + members. Yet, only 500 people participated.

Everybody loves to complain that the results aren’t accurate and then when given the chance to change that, nobody will spend the 5 minutes that it took to fill out the survey. Pilots are our own worst enemies.

Last edited:
Everybody loves to complain that the results aren’t accurate and then when given the chance to change that, nobody will spend the 5 minutes that it took to fill out the survey. Pilots are our own worst enemies.

I beg to differ...... I was quoted in Pro Pilot Mag many years ago and what was printed was far from what I sent in. I canceled my subscription and never looked back. Also a few years ago, myself and many contemporaries filled out the coveted B&CA salary survey. When the results were printed, none of the max salaries reflected actual pay submitted by the pilots. Sad thing is, our salaries were posted publicly and could have been fact check very easily. Yet, the survey showed the max salaries far below these values. I no longer waste my time.

I beg to differ...... I was quoted in Pro Pilot Mag many years ago and what was printed was far from what I sent in. I canceled my subscription and never looked back. Also a few years ago, myself and many contemporaries filled out the coveted B&CA salary survey. When the results were printed, none of the max salaries reflected actual pay submitted by the pilots. Sad thing is, our salaries were posted publicly and could have been fact check very easily. Yet, the survey showed the max salaries far below these values. I no longer waste my time.
I was under the impression that very scientific methods are applied to these type of things, some of which involve throwing out upper and lower limit results for statistical mumbo jumbo reasons. Granted, that shouldn't affect the "max" number column. IDK, but I doubt nefarious deeds had anything to do with it.

Hi Guys, I'm new here. I recently bought the 2018 Salary Survey to educate myself on the current market. I am finding that there are significant differences between what is being published on the surveys (which is hopefully a result of the people who are taking the survey) and actual people I speak to as well as certain articles posted by reputable sources (see below).

Pilot Shortage Is Real And Worrisome Long-Term, Recruiter Barden Says - Aviation Personnel International

Bizav Leaders Seeing Shortages in Qualified Pilot Pool

For example, I have seen a lot of numbers in the 170-190k range for the Heavy jet segment on several surveys, however I know of several companies that lost pilots and were offering numbers such as those published on the available surveys and they where getting scoffed when presented with the total compensation offer.

Meanwhile on the articles mentioned before, the numbers indicate that its more like 240-300k range for a Heavy Jet.

So, my question is (or are)... is it that the people making the big bucks fail (or refuse) to participate on the surveys? is it that these people are statistically insignificant in numbers to affect the surveys? are the surveys full of boloney or are the articles?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!!!

Back