19-year-old Cambridge student dies after falling from plane over Madagascar

Oxman

1564662995383.png

A Cambridge University student died after falling from a plane flying over Madagascar last Thursday.
Alana Cutland, 19, from Milton Keynes, England, was completing an internship on the island nation east of Africa when the incident happened, The Guardian reported.

She reportedly fell from a Cessna-style aircraft as it flew above the savannah after conducting research in Anjajavy area on July 25.
Cutland’s family said in a statement that she had a “thirst for discovering more of the world” and described her as a “bright, independent young woman.”

“Alana grasped every opportunity that was offered to her with enthusiasm and a sense of adventure, always seeking to extend her knowledge and experience in the best way possible,” her family said in a statement. “She was particularly excited to be embarking on the next stage of her education, on an internship in Madagascar complementing her studies in natural sciences.”
Cutland was a second-year biological natural sciences student at Robinson College-University of Cambridge.

Dr. David Woodman, a department director at Robinson College, said the school was “deeply shocked” by the news of her death.
“In her two years here, she made a huge contribution to many different aspects of life in the college," Woodman wrote. "She will be sorely missed by us all.”

Attachments

• 1564662999825.png
    1564662999825.png
    552.2 KB · Views: 62
Wow. Just 19 years old.
I accidentally fell out of an airplane in flight once. Luckily I had a parachute on and it was hooked up to the aircraft.

She didn’t fall. She jumped. The other passenger and pilot struggled with her for 5 minutes before.
(Thread derail)

On October 19, 2012, one of my friends from high school jumped from a bridge in Ventura. That is to say, she committed suicide. There was no real discussion about it, except among her friends who knew; the official line and the line from her family, owing to suicide's nature as a mortal sin in the church of their choice, was simply that she was gone.

Anyway...and regardless of the nature of this young woman's death, I hope, in eternal rest, she finds the peace she never found in life.

View attachment 49059

A Cambridge University student died after falling from a plane flying over Madagascar last Thursday.
Alana Cutland, 19, from Milton Keynes, England, was completing an internship on the island nation east of Africa when the incident happened, The Guardian reported.

She reportedly fell from a Cessna-style aircraft as it flew above the savannah after conducting research in Anjajavy area on July 25.
Cutland’s family said in a statement that she had a “thirst for discovering more of the world” and described her as a “bright, independent young woman.”

“Alana grasped every opportunity that was offered to her with enthusiasm and a sense of adventure, always seeking to extend her knowledge and experience in the best way possible,” her family said in a statement. “She was particularly excited to be embarking on the next stage of her education, on an internship in Madagascar complementing her studies in natural sciences.”
Cutland was a second-year biological natural sciences student at Robinson College-University of Cambridge.

Dr. David Woodman, a department director at Robinson College, said the school was “deeply shocked” by the news of her death.
“In her two years here, she made a huge contribution to many different aspects of life in the college," Woodman wrote. "She will be sorely missed by us all.”
Fell? (as in connoting an accidental departure?) Out of an airplane?? Reeeeally?

How difficult is it to get one of those doors open enough to slide through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How difficult is it to get one of those doors open enough to slide through?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At normal cruise speed, from what I remember, it was not easy to actually open the door. Could it happen, probably. If somebody weighed enough and was leaning against the door, I could see it being possible, but not easy to do unless you're trying to do it, I would think. The 182's I flew years ago for meat missiles were rigged for egress, and opened gull-wing style to ease opening.

At normal cruise speed, from what I remember, it was not easy to actually open the door. Could it happen, probably. If somebody weighed enough and was leaning against the door, I could see it being possible, but not easy to do unless you're trying to do it, I would think. The 182's I flew years ago for meat missiles were rigged for egress, and opened gull-wing style to ease opening.
They were doing wildlife survey, I would bet they had a door off.

Back