135 or 121 TPIC, which is better?

skatergeek

Beet Farmer
I know if you plan on going to the major's 121 TPIC is the best, but could you get on with the majors with 1000hrs of 135 TPIC?

I heard that once the majors start to hire again they won't even be accepting resumes from prop drivers.

I hear that a lot of airlines won't even let you count prop time towards total time.

I've heard that any time in prop planes disqualifies you at United, Delta, The Gates of Heaven, and Cathy.

Someone told me that you can't log PIC time in piston airplanes, especially if it's night or actual IMC.

I heard that if you go to a major airline interview with prop time in your logbook, Chuck Norris comes out of the shadows and drop kicks you right in the face. Its true!

I heard that if you go to a major airline interview with prop time in your logbook, Chuck Norris comes out of the shadows and drop kicks you right in the face. Its true!

I heard that if you go to a major airline interview with helicopter time in your logbook, Chuck Norris comes out of the shadows and poops right in your face. It's true!

Let's get this thread back on track with a slightly different perspective.

Right now if you go to an interview at Brand X airlines and you are an RJ captain with a few thousand hours PIC turbine absolutely NOTHING differentiates you from the other hundreds of RJ pilots with a few thousand hours of PIC turbine.

If you, on the other hand, flew 135 in a few turboprops, a few jets... in and out of some really unique airports with nonprecision approaches etc... well, there's a way for you to stand out from the crowd.

I'm not an interviewer, but I know i'd rather hear interview stories from THAT person than yet another RJ pilot "There I was number 20 in line at LaGuardia..."

Right now if you go to an interview at Brand X airlines and you are an RJ captain with a few thousand hours PIC turbine absolutely NOTHING differentiates you from the other hundreds of RJ pilots with a few thousand hours of PIC turbine.

This is also true when it comes to educational background and life experience. If you can draw interview stories from other facets of your life, you have a higher chance of sticking out. Also, if you were involved at your employer (training, committee work involving safety, etc.), you can stand out. Flying a multitude of aircraft is just ONE way differentiate yourself from the crowd. To say that you're a dime a dozen if you've flown an RJ is only true if you make it, just like saying that you're hopeless if you have no 121 time.

Heck, my hopeful future employer was more interested in my time in Cheyennes than RJ time. HOWEVER, there's no way I would've racked up enough total time to be eligible had it not been for the 121 world (flew 900 hours this year).

Everything I've heard from guys further up the ladder suggests that 121TPIC is definitely superior for job-getting to 135TPIC. OTOH, I'm pretty sure we have more fun. Like someone said before, it's a box you have to check, and there's nothing on the box about what part you flew under. Do 121 guys look more favorably on other 121 guys? Probably, and they probably should. It's a different skillset. I don't know crap about ACARS, APUs, or wheelchairs. That said, I can learn, and I'd be a blast on overnights as long as you bring one of those wheelchairs for me to get back to the hotel. In the end, people want to hire people who don't suck to be around.

Everything I've heard from guys further up the ladder suggests that 121TPIC is definitely superior for job-getting to 135TPIC. OTOH, I'm pretty sure we have more fun. Like someone said before, it's a box you have to check, and there's nothing on the box about what part you flew under. Do 121 guys look more favorably on other 121 guys? Probably, and they probably should. It's a different skillset. I don't know crap about ACARS, APUs, or wheelchairs. That said, I can learn, and I'd be a blast on overnights as long as you bring one of those wheelchairs for me to get back to the hotel. In the end, people want to hire people who don't suck to be around.

Bingo.:yeahthat:

Back