Air New Zealand to weigh passengers before they board the airplane

So far they are claiming operational reasons, once becoming the norm, I'm sure some airlines will try to get more $ instituting pay per lbs / passenger.
I think some Pacific area small airline started this years ago and their fare was commensurate with the weigh of the passenger. Try this here and you'll be guarantee a discrimination lawsuit. It does indeed cost more to carry more weigh so ..
I can envision the poor father with his wife and six kids, "nobody eats or drinks anything, y'all go to the bathroom right now before checking-in" :biggrin:

Last edited:
On a serious note, isn't the FAA (or whoever this duty would fall upon) gearing up to do a new passenger weight survey as well? I'd imagine this would be the way to do it? Although my simpler solution would be to take the old weight and double it.....

On a serious note, isn't the FAA (or whoever this duty would fall upon) gearing up to do a new passenger weight survey as well? I'd imagine this would be the way to do it? Although my simpler solution would be to take the old weight and double it.....

I thought they already did, but maybe they didn't.

When they do, hoo boy. People be thicc af now.

You are probably correct. I might be thinking of the expected results coming soon
I'm pretty sure they just did; the increase in standard passenger weights is why Southwest's 737-700s are now useless appendages if memory serves (exceeds max zero fuel weight).

Hey if I could buy 10% more seat for 10% more in the same part of the cabin where you could pay 10% less for 10% less seat, I'll subsidize yer skinny ass.

If he gets any smaller, he can sit on your lap if you claim his as under 2.

Nobody wants to talk about your ugly baby, and you can split the cost of an individual ticket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back