Online Aviation Master's Degree

RECOVER

T-41C Instructor
I am looking to do either an online or hybrid masters degree, in something regarding aviation. My BS is basically a liberal arts degree.
I am trying to tickle my brain without gutting my wallet into paying the rest of my student loans forever. Does anyone have any recommendations of online aviation degrees or degrees/schools they have pursued? I have spoken with ERAU, UND, Liberty, UCM, and a few other schools "advisors" regarding their aviation masters offerings, but it does not seem like the student loads of some of the programs are very high. It seems difficult to differentiate between some of them what your getting in education versus value with alot of classes sounding similar although under completely different degree titles (Aeronautics vs Aviation Safety vs Aviation Education).

And then there's the MBA / Management degrees

I'll stop rambling.

I am looking to do either an online or hybrid masters degree, in something regarding aviation. My BS is basically a liberal arts degree.
I am trying to tickle my brain without gutting my wallet into paying the rest of my student loans forever. Does anyone have any recommendations of online aviation degrees or degrees/schools they have pursued? I have spoken with ERAU, UND, Liberty, UCM, and a few other schools "advisors" regarding their aviation masters offerings, but it does not seem like the student loads of some of the programs are very high. It seems difficult to differentiate between some of them what your getting in education versus value with alot of classes sounding similar although under completely different degree titles (Aeronautics vs Aviation Safety vs Aviation Education).

I'll stop rambling.
If you’re trying to tickle your brain why not study something outside aviation?

To do the exact same thing circa 2016 I enrolled in a math program and got a math degree online - it was hard but I learned a ton. A masters probably would have looked better, but there are other more affordable options.

I'll stop rambling.

You're a CFI, apparently somewhat early in your career. Plan for a career outside of aviation and your aviation career will be frequented by decisions driven with alternatives instead of desperation.

I don't know any execs with masters degrees in an aviation discipline.

If your heart is set on a masters, a masters in education is recession-proof and programs are designed for folks with full time gigs.

Money-wise, I'd consider an associates degree in a health field like radiology or MRI. I know 20 year olds making 100k with great benefits. Associates degrees are cheap and yield good jobs.

Think about the consequences of losing your medical in six days, six months, six years, or sixteen years.

Last edited:
PF is exactly right. Having a master's in anything aviation related, will not improve your chances of being hired by a Major or even a Regency airline by even 1%. Pick something that you are interested in and would consider doing if your aviation career does not pan out or you simply change your mind. You will always have work in the medical field for example. But there are also other careers that are pretty stable and would allow you to pursue them anywhere in the county. That flexibility is also something to consider. You won't have that opportunity to the same end in aviation.

He's also correct when he says that you could lose your medical at anytime along the way. It happened to me. I was fortunate in that when my medical issues became bad enough to lose mine, it was rather late in my long career, but I had still planned on flying for a few more years. It's life changing for real. It took me quite a while to "get over" and accept the realization that my flying days, even for fun, were over. I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

Don't go into any more debt if you can help it. Those damnable student loans are a long haul burden as it is and the first several years in your aviation career, money will be tight. Pay that off as soon as possible. Your circumstances will change along the way, so be prepared as best as possible. There will be many hills, top of the mountain and valley moments along the way.

Keep focused, but have fun and some adventures along the way. Make the right choices and enjoy your life. Keep reaching out and keep being connected with your fellow aviators. You never know when you or they, will be in a position to help you, or for you to help them.The relationships that you build with others is very important. Network all that you can, at every stage of your career. You'll also make/develop some life long friends. I sincerely wish you the best in your career.

Last edited:
Getting that 'master's degree' is value added whether you're flying or no. I am familiar with thousands in the aviation community, flying or no, and continuous education/learning is always important. No downside that I've seen .

Getting that 'master's degree' is value added whether you're flying or no. I am familiar with thousands in the aviation community, flying or no, and continuous education/learning is always important. No downside that I've seen .
Agreed, there is also a non-flying component of aviation. Airport Operations and such.

In the course of my career, I've hired a couple hundred people for jobs that required undergraduate degrees. I can't recall one hiring where a masters degree made a difference. In fact, I've hired more folks that failed to meet the undergrad requirement than those that had a masters.

There are many jobs that require a masters or give preference to those that have a masters. Otherwise, it's sometimes just an expensive trophy.

My hiring responsibilities have been limited to aviation (charter ops, airline, defense contracting) and programming/software engineering. Don't get me wrong, I've hired plenty of folks with masters degrees, I just can't recall it ever making a difference.

That's just my experience.

Beyond that, I encourage folks to do the math. Financing a credential that isn't required might not make good financial sense. If I'm going to borrow $50k, I'm looking for a tangible ROI. I'd probably buy real estate, especially if I was young.

Last edited:
A pilot with general contracting experience seems like a better fit for most airport management jobs than an advanced degree.

. . .but i've seen many and I do mean MEAN MANY where that advanced degree proved beneficial BOTH to attaining the job and excelling in the job because of the degree. Don't know if you have one or not. . .I do. My bachelor's helped me immensely; the master's was icing/gravy in expanding my career and the careers of many who attained their advanced degree. I'm also familiar with many who attained their doctorates where they was value added to their aviation/aeronautical/aerospace careers.

. . .but i've seen many and I do mean MEAN MANY where that advanced degree proved beneficial BOTH to attaining the job and excelling in the job because of the degree. Don't know if you have one or not. . .I do. My bachelor's helped me immensely; the master's was icing/gravy in expanding my career and the careers of many who attained their advanced degree. I'm also familiar with many who attained their doctorates where they was value added to their aviation/aeronautical/aerospace careers.

Sounds like your experience and observations don't align with mine. Instead of pursuing an advanced degree, I pursued a second undergrad more aligned to my career track.

I wonder if the folks I hired with masters degrees thought it mattered to me. I guess I need to do some letter writing.

Many folks that obtain advanced degrees are high achievers that advance for reasons beyond the credential. The question is whether the advanced degree is really the key versus skill, experience, references, personality, etc.

Sounds like your experience and observations don't align with mine. Instead of pursuing an advanced degree, I pursued a second undergrad more aligned to my career track.

I wonder if the folks I hired with masters degrees thought it mattered to me. I guess I need to do some letter writing.

Many folks that obtain advanced degrees are high achievers that advance for reasons beyond the credential. The question is whether the advanced degree is really the key versus skill, experience, references, personality, etc.

Again. . .it depends on the degree and one's career field.

My bachelor's degree is non-ABET industrial "management/engineering." Years of work experience under my belt and I decided to get my Master's in
Engineering with an area of concentration in project management.

Best decision I could have ever made. The advanced degree put me in an area I could work any and everywhere. . .

@RECOVER No, I'm not soliciting or advocating any school, but to simply show that advance degree will help increase your own personal stock.

Delta State University has an online Master of Commercial Aviation. It was about $11k, tuition, books, fees about 2 years ago.

Back