Are these airline payscales accurate?

SuperCubRick

I see everyone complaining about the low pay for a regional, but based on payscales I've looked at - the horrendous ~$20k/yr pay is only the first year, and it increases relatively nicely from there.

Will Fly For Food - Professional Pilot Jobs, Interviews, Pay Rates, Forums and more!!!

Will Fly For Food - Professional Pilot Jobs, Interviews, Pay Rates, Forums and more!!!

Everyone makes it sound like you're stuck at $20k/yr flying for a regional airline, which doesn't seem to be true.<!-- / message -->

Check the payscales at airlinepilotcentral.com. They seem to be the most accurate (based on the fact that I haven't heard anyone say they weren't).

As for the pilots complaining about $20k/yr -- even though it's only for one year -- those are the pilots that obviously got everything handed to them when they were young and this is the first actual job that they ever had (based on what I've heard from other pilots and knowing just how spoiled people can be).

As for the pilots complaining about $20k/yr -- even though it's only for one year -- those are the pilots that obviously got everything handed to them when they were young and this is the first actual job that they ever had (based on what I've heard from other pilots and knowing just how spoiled people can be).

Your flame suit is being fitted now...

Check the payscales at airlinepilotcentral.com. They seem to be the most accurate (based on the fact that I haven't heard anyone say they weren't).

About coa787 <dl class="list_no_decoration profilefield_list"><dt class="shade">Location</dt><dd>Lakewood, Ohio</dd><dt class="shade">Ratings</dt><dd>None</dd><dt class="shade">Flight Time</dt><dd>0</dd><dt class="shade">Industry Sector</dt><dd>None</dd><dt class="shade">Airline</dt><dd>None</dd><dt class="shade">Aircraft Type</dt><dd>None</dd><dt class="shade">Interests</dt><dd>Learning about aviation, football</dd><dt class="shade">Occupation</dt><dd>Student</dd></dl>:yup:

Your flame suit is being fitted now...

I actually agree with him! There are many people (some that I know) that have their first job when they finish college! That said, I do think that it is unfair in a way to stereotype all of them because there are many career changer pilots (many on the forum) who have a wife, kids, a house, and the whole nine to deal with and 20k a year does nothing for them.

That's all i have to say about that...:D;)

I know that $20k/yr is nothing when you have many responsibilities (house, family). Didn't mean anything negative about what I said, but in a sense, it's also true (granted, not for every single pilot).

But look at the way it increases, I know it still isn't stellar pay, but it does not seem to be as bad as many people make it out to be.

Everyone just seems so stuck on that first year pay, I don't understand. Get over it, it's crappy pay, what can you do about it? Life isn't fair, but ya gotta deal with it the best you can. (Yea I know, easy for me to say, I have no experience with the airlines, heh)

I see everyone complaining about the low pay for a regional, but based on payscales I've looked at - the horrendous ~$20k/yr pay is only the first year, and it increases relatively nicely from there.

Everyone makes it sound like you're stuck at $20k/yr flying for a regional airline, which -doesn't seem to be true.<!-- / message -->

Not sure if I should take this as flamebait or not, since you posted the exact same thing on another board. I think you forgot to post this on flightinfo!

You are like most people and just look at the hourly rate and think "Wow, you get paid $30+/hr"? Let me remind you of something...

-When you see a pilot going through the same security you go through, he's not being paid.

-When you see a pilot walking in the terminal, he's not being paid.

-When you see a pilot at the gate pulling up paper work, planning the flight, and conferring with the agent, he's not being paid.

-When you see a pilot walking around the aircraft doing a preflight inspection, he's not being paid.

-When you board the aircraft and look in the cockpit and see the pilots setting up the aircraft, they're not getting paid.

-When you land safely at your destination and walk off the aircraft and see the pilots shutting down the aircraft, they're not being paid.

-When you see a pilot waiting for a ride to a hotel for the night, he's not being paid.

-The only time the pilot of your aircraft is getting paid is when you DON"T see him... when he's locked behind the cockpit door as you push back from the gate. Every thing else he does until this point is for free. For no wages. Nothing!

-The average airline pilot is at work for 12- 14 hours per day, yet gets paid for less than 6 - 7 hours.

-The average airline pilot is away from home, at work, for 70+ hours a week, yet gets paid for only 15 to 18 hours per weeks work.

I'm a firm believer in PUT UP or SHUT UP.

And when i say PUT UP i dont mean to suck it up, i mean to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT rather than sit on your thumbs and moan and groan.

Pay sucks that's for sure, but everyone GETTING into the field knows about it. If you dont like the pay, then dont go for it. Or if you do go after it try and do something to change it. But bitching and moaning doesnt do anyone good. Especially those that are new and have sucked it up and are making the leap. Or those that financially prepared themselves to take a hit to start this career.

Besides, theres many other departments in professional aviation that dont pay as terrible when starting i.e. Corporate, Freight.

Just my .02 cents here, but 20K a year can be a hard pill to swallow. For most people it is not a livable wage, even if you are living frugally.
Is it too much to ask for a first year job that starts around $30 K? Most folks out of college can get at least that. Even a 1st year regional pilot has spent, in most cases, several years of effort and work trying to get there. Unfortunately that is the "market" wage for a new 121 pilot. Hopefully we can see that change in time.

Perhaps you have few financial obligations at this time in your life, hence your perspective. A single pilot or one with a spouse that has a job, might be able to hack life financially as an F/O beyond first year pay. But why does it have to be that way, and why should we like it? Many, but not all, regional captains do OK with regard to money. $50 to 70 grand a year sounds like a lot and perhaps it is above average; yet throw in a car payment, house payment, wife payment, kid payments, (not talking alimony here, just family expenses.:)) student loans and the rest of life's little expenses and you find that the money does not stretch as far. Even if you are trying to be frugal.

Most of us simply feel that for the responsibility, possible life commitment to one employer and experience gained over time, the duties deserve more compensation.

Don't take this as a "I hate what I do" post. I actually really like it, and I like my employer. I simply think we are "worth" more.

Just my .02 cents here, but 20K a year can be a hard pill to swallow. For most people it is not a livable wage, even if you are living frugally.
Is it too much to ask for a first year job that starts around $30 K? Most folks out of college can get at least that. Even a 1st year regional pilot has spent, in most cases, several years of effort and work trying to get there. Unfortunately that is the "market" wage for a new 121 pilot. Hopefully we can see that change in time.

Perhaps you have few financial obligations at this time in your life, hence your perspective. A single pilot or one with a spouse that has a job, might be able to hack life financially as an F/O beyond first year pay. But why does it have to be that way, and why should we like it? Many, but not all, regional captains do OK with regard to money. $50 to 70 grand a year sounds like a lot and perhaps it is above average; yet throw in a car payment, house payment, wife payment, kid payments, (not talking alimony here, just family expenses.:)) student loans and the rest of life's little expenses and you find that the money does not stretch as far. Even if you are trying to be frugal.

Most of us simply feel that for the responsibility, possible life commitment to one employer and experience gained over time, the duties deserve more compensation.

Don't take this as a "I hate what I do" post. I actually really like it. I simply think we are "worth" more.

If someone, even a family, can't live on 50k a year, they need a serious re-evaluation of their lifestyle. If someone can't live like they want to on 50k a year, that's an entirely different issue.

If someone, even a family, can't live on 50k a year, they need a serious re-evaluation of their lifestyle. If someone can't live like they want to on 50k a year, that's an entirely different issue.

I didn't say you can't live on 50K a year, I agree, but with kids and a family and all the other associated expenses, living somewhat conservatively, it can still be hard to really get ahead. I'm thinking total household income here.

How dare you?

I didn't want to take a $20k per year job and I paid for all of my flight training myself, and I'm a young'un. Just because I didn't want to have substandard Quality of Life, so I looked for other types of flying jobs does not mean that "I am spoiled and had everything handed to me." That's the most arrogant flame bait BS statement I've seen to date on JC.

$20,000 is less than you could make at Taco Bell.

How dare you?

I didn't want to take a $20k per year job and I paid for all of my flight training myself, and I'm a young'un. Just because I didn't want to have substandard Quality of Life, so I looked for other types of flying jobs does not mean that "I am spoiled and had everything handed to me." That's the most arrogant flame bait BS statement I've seen to date on JC.

$20,000 is less than you could make at Taco Bell.

Once again, I apologize. I really didn't mean it to sound the way I did. I got a little out of hand, but it is true that there are pilots out there like that. I've heard that from real pilots this summer when I traveled, so it is not my opinion. I wasn't saying that it describes anyone in particular.

Everyone makes it sound like you're stuck at $20k/yr flying for a regional airline, which doesn't seem to be true.<!-- / message -->

Rick,

You seem to have become a member of every forum today and posted this same comment. If you really would like to know what a 80k-150K (including college) educational investment will get you at the airlines then just ask.

Starting salary for a first officer can be about $16,000 for the first year with an average of about $19,862. If you dont include turbo Prop aircraft you get an average salary for a first year airline pilot to raise to about $20,567 because the hourly average at that point is 22.85 a little hight that the average when including turbo-prop aircraft, thats $22.07 FYI.
These are numbers based on ALPA represented airlines.

Salaries for First officers at the regional airlines range from 16K to 49K When you look at all pilots regardless of union afiliation, over a typical 10 year scale. But the average ALPA pilot at a regional is 32 years old, with 3 years of service, and about 33K in income.

You may pick up some varied opinion from pilots as to pay, that because they tend to look at it from a different point of view than you. Imagine I say I earn 35K, not bad right? But if I add that Im a Doctor would you think it should be more or less? The same goes for Pilots, what you see and what it takes to get there are all different points of view. Take time to learn about the different points of view and you will see that there are various challenges to this career but it still is a great profession.

Any other questions just ask away. I think You will find many folks here that are willing to give you thier point of view.

Don't take this as a "I hate what I do" post. I actually really like it, and I like my employer. I simply think we are "worth" more.

Blank payments is one of the reasons this country is in the mess it is today:D

:yeahthat:

Thanks for the replies guys - I really don't know what I'm talking about.

So how do the pilots go about forcing an increase in pay? I would guess a strike?

I posted this thread on both forums to get more replies/different perspectives - not intending to troll, honestly wanting to learn.

50k a year total family income might be enough to get by today if it’s just you and your spouse. However, I can't imagine trying to raise kids on that amount. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I find $20,000 a yr an insult… However, there is nothing I can do about it.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

I'm a firm believer in PUT UP or SHUT UP.

And when i say PUT UP i dont mean to suck it up, i mean to DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT rather than sit on your thumbs and moan and groan.

Pay sucks that's for sure, but everyone GETTING into the field knows about it. If you dont like the pay, then dont go for it. Or if you do go after it try and do something to change it. But bitching and moaning doesnt do anyone good. Especially those that are new and have sucked it up and are making the leap. Or those that financially prepared themselves to take a hit to start this career.

Besides, theres many other departments in professional aviation that dont pay as terrible when starting i.e. Corporate, Freight.

This coming from an OTS hire for an ATCS position with the FAA.

So how are you going to improve the work conditions that current ATCS have to deal with. Don't want to see any moaning and groaning, otherwise we might wrongfully lump you in with those who are bitching and moaning and not doing anything. . .as opposed to thanking you for your attempts to improve the profession.

Thread lightly.

Back