Cursed Plane...

Thunder-Robo

well, here's one from the north. C-GJQB two close calls in 1 week.

...maybe not cursed, but it just takes a huge beating from our international students.

Last week... Was doing a Touch&Go - 52kt/40* flaps, REALLY soft landing, at CNU8 and i noticed that the smimmy dampener was vibrating more then normal, so i decided to aboard the take off and taxi off the runway.. got out and... one of the nosewheel's forks completely sheared off.

If i had went up for one more circuit, i don't think i'd be alive right now.

I came to find out that the student that took the plane out before me actually stalled the plane out 15' off the ground and landed completely flat on the front, with NOTHING written in the journey log nor our PHU (basically a note that gets handed from pilot to pilot about anything to look for in preflight if the last pilot thinks he might have damaged something, but is not important enough to go in the journey log.)
...well, i guess there was a hairline crack in the fork and i somehow missed it in the preflight.
-Sorry no pics of the broken fork, here's pics of the plane two days later.
DSCN2756.jpg

DSCN2754.jpg

All fixed up... alight cool.

Was going to fly out to Toronto/CityCenter
Runup -good, announce traffic, managed to squeeze out in between a C172N that is airborn off 27 a 172M on extended base 27 and an NORDO 152 on downwind.

Backtrack 27... half way down the runway, and i found myself giving full left rudder input and still turning to the right...:confused: uhh.... So i made sure i wasn't doing something funky (like draging the right brakes...) Nope i sure wasn't... so i put the plane to a complete stop thinking the right brake caliper might have ceased or something... *biggest mistake ever* as from then on, no matter what i did, i could only spin in a circle to the right hmm... at this point, i was in total panic as i knew that there are planes headed straight for me... so made a call over the unicom.. "Markham Traffic, JQB, aircraft stuck on the active"

The inbound 172 heard the message and did a low&slow over me, but the NORDO 152 was on final by now...

*panic kicked in*, the engine was probably at 1700rpm when i started the shutdown sequence, -pulled the mixture to cut-out, mags off and i a freaking booked' it out of the plane.

the 152 actually landed on 27 and managed to stop short of the POS that i was flying. -he was bingo-fueled after a 300nm Xcountry.

anyways, the right tire somehow blew during the taxiing, i didn't hit anything and there were no punctures in the tire. :banghead::banghead:

The 2 172s diverted to other airports.

I am now NEVER taking Jake-Quake-Breakalot up ever again.
My school actually has planes that are off limits to the international students... haha guess what i'm only going to fly from now on??

here's JQB stuck on the active.
DSCN2759.jpg

DSCN2760.jpg

DSCN2761.jpg

DSCN2778.jpg

DSCN2779.jpg

DSCN2781.jpg

Man, that sucks. Nice story.

Yeah that does suck!:( Really interesting story though! In my opinion, our parents are always protecting us from what they faced, but I think sometimes a bad situation can be good because you know how to never let it happen to you again. For instance 2 weeks ago a FedEx tt almost ran me off the road because my lane was merging, moral of the story?, either stay in front, or in back of tt's from now on:D;) Boy I can't wait to start flying!:(

There's something amusing about seeing a 172 up on blocks.

Yeah that does suck!:( Really interesting story though! In my opinion, our parents are always protecting us from what they faced, but I think sometimes a bad situation can be good because you know how to never let it happen to you again. For instance 2 weeks ago a FedEx tt almost ran me off the road because my lane was merging, moral of the story?, either stay in front, or in back of tt's from now on:D;) Boy I can't wait to start flying!:(

Stay in front! You gotta be assertive when you are driving, man.

What is it about the international students that the aircraft get damaged so much. Honest question here. Do you guys not train all the students to the same standards?

Not trying to call you out. Just wondering what the international students do differently from the natives.

Great post though. Shows us how we need to be more thorough on our walkarounds. Admittedly, I check mostly the main parts of the airplane without much to each one (more of a general than detailed look).

What is it about the international students that the aircraft get damaged so much. Honest question here. Do you guys not train all the students to the same standards?

Not trying to call you out. Just wondering what the international students do differently from the natives.

Great post though. Shows us how we need to be more thorough on our walkarounds. Admittedly, I check mostly the main parts of the airplane without much to each one (more of a general than detailed look).

Honest answer here.

All instructors instruct all student equally with the goal of bring them to the same standards, yes. However it is up to the student to pickup what they are being taught and put it to use. For example... we have international students here with over 70 hours who still haven't soloed yet.. with an average of 40ish hours before they solo.... That being said, a friend of mine (who's from India and here in canada to fly) soloed at 14hours.
...keeping in mind that we all fly out of the same uncontrolled airport with the same instructors... most of the local students solo at 13ish hours and get their PPL at around 50 hours of TT.

I don't know what it is... If i knew i'd tell them..
They're just really rough on the planes, landing them flat and stalling them out waaaay over the runway...
it could also be the fact that they fly daily so the planes wear down alot quicker even though there's only three guys flying it.

....but sometimes it's just downright lack to respect to others, like starting the planes up at the gravel tie-downs instead of pushing it out 4' to start it on the pavement.... the downright lack of attention to the details like turning off electronics after a flight and tieing the a/c down if it's the last flight of the day...

oh well, i've moved on to better things :)
C-GYGQ -- one of 'those' planes.
DSCN2784.jpg

DSCN2796.jpg

Back