Traffic Watch Chicago

MikeOH58

*I dont know anything about this job...Saw it on a board, and thought I would at least try and do my part on jetcareers...From the message, mininums are CPL IR current. Flying 5 days a week, 2 times a day: 5am-9am/2:30-6pm

Hope this works out for someone?

September 30, 2008
ILLINOIS AVIATION ACADEMY (Traffic Watch Pilots - West Chicago, IL)

Tel: (630) 513-2224

Thanks for the post, I am finishing my CFI up at Flyers at the same airport...sent a resume in wish me luck.

I got to ride jumpseat with my friend (traffic caller, right seat) in N172SS a few weeks ago for a 2 hour long tour of Chicago on a traffic calling flight with this company.

Definatly a cool kind of flying, I think I will apply here once I get my CPL.

Just a caution...

My understanding is that this is only a time building job. They'll let you fly traffic for them if you don't have your commercial ticket, but you're flying for free. If you have your commercial, then I understand the pay is $3/hr. They have this available really as a time-building job for people in the area. I sure wouldn't move from anywhere to pursue this job.

And 172SS...I've fueled that bird many times, and how he managed to keep that bird flying straight and level while she was doing that is BEYOND me. :p Maybe that's how they managed to land that plane in a lake at one point. :rolleyes:

I also know the owner pretty well. He and I grew up together and were in Scouts together, so he's a pretty honest guy. But his direct involvement in IAA on the operations end is pretty minimal. Everything I'm saying is taken from talking to several people, some of whom have flown this gig. I do not have direct experience with this particular job, but I do consider the sources I have as being extremely reliable.

If you're in the area, need to build time, and you like the idea of basically flying for free, go for it. But don't expect to be making a living wage by any stretch of the imagaination for this one. It could lead to better things down the road.

I will go and see whats up... but if it is really $3 dollars an hour...I mean for real, I would make almost triple that @ Mikey D's.

If you have your commercial ticket, they have to pay SOMETHING. But like I said, my understanding is that it's a time-building gig, and you're not paying to fly the plane. So...I suppose if you really want to look at it in a different way, you're getting paid $125/hr, but you have to rent the plane. :D

And it's starting to get cold up there. My permanent address is about 150 miles south of there and it's getting cold there too. Better get your cold start procedures down and be ready to get layered up just to stay warm. They don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing. Expect temps well below freezing and gusty conditions.

They pay in Vegas is $10-12 per hour. Don't get hosed.
Also, to the person that takes the job, I suggest Sports Illustrated or the WSJ...
jk...maybe.

And it's starting to get cold up there. My permanent address is about 150 miles south of there and it's getting cold there too. Better get your cold start procedures down and be ready to get layered up just to stay warm. They don't call Chicago the windy city for nothing. Expect temps well below freezing and gusty conditions.

I don't mean to be "that" guy but the Windy City title has nothing to do with weather/winds or anything of the sort (although its popular to do so its origins had nothing to do with the windy weather, cause its not any windier then any other city)

It was first coined reference was in the Chicago Tribune in 1858 due its political "weather" and its bid for the columbian exposition in which it was competing against Cincinnati.

TO STAY ON TRACK, being from chicago this traffic watch is probably already been filled, there are about 4 flight school that they pull from for this at dupage airport (KDPA)

And 172SS...I've fueled that bird many times, and how he managed to keep that bird flying straight and level while she was doing that is BEYOND me. :p Maybe that's how they managed to land that plane in a lake at one point. :rolleyes:

Ya, "Super Sport" did look and feel a bit shaky.

For the people that are CFIs in Chicago, are there any part time instructing gigs available?

I miss instructing and would be nice to get back into GA again.

Thanks

Ya, "Super Sport" did look and feel a bit shaky.

LOL...Well, 'Sport' wasn't the term I heard used, and the 'she' I was referring to wasn't the plane. :p

Like I said...If you're in the area, you're looking to build some time, and that it doesn't have to come out of your pocket to do it, it's not a bad gig. But I would be a bit wary of the equipment you use to do it. They have at least one new 172SP with a G1000 in it to fly, though I don't know if that's the one they want you flying traffic for, considering what they charge per hour for it. The rest of the planes are in varying conditions. Remember, they're used for training and they're riden VERY hard and put away wet, sometimes literally. 172 Super Slu...er...Sport was recovered from a lake back in the 90s. It's been restored and is obviously airworthy, but they do fly these planes until they pretty much fall apart.

Again, it's a good opportunity for those in the local area to build some time without shelling out the cash to do it, but definitely don't relocate for this job.

Haha, maybe it was changed to sport because there were children nearby. =]

I think they only use the older 172s, because the traffic watch company just pays IAA back the hourly rate on whatever hobbs time each flight used.

So of course, they want the cheapest plane that they can get.

IMG_8181.jpg

If you have a commercial ticket, have a little self respect and don't fly for three dollars an hour. You might be a whole three buck worth of pilot but the rest of us are worth more.
Don't give me that "time building" line.
Some time build, and other are professionals no matter what they fly.

Back