Exemption 8655

#1FMS

Just taking a survey...

How many of you use Exemp 8655 or one similar to it for the 1-2-3 rule?

Just taking a survey...

How many of you use Exemp 8655 or one similar to it for the 1-2-3 rule?

Maybe I've been out of the loop too long, perhaps you can enlighten us to how the exemption is defined, especially for those who are new to the occupation. I use 1-2-3 rule for all planning purposes. I didn't know anything else otherwise.

:confused:

This exemption allows 121 carriers that have been approved for it to use the 1-1-1 rule instead of 1-2-3...1hr before to 1hr after ETA, 1,00' ceiling and 1sm vis...to determine if a destination alternate is needed. I wanted to see what carriers are already using this.

Appparently, several airlines have applied and granted this exemption. I found a few granted in 2005. I must have been day dreaming during that presentation. Interesting 14 CFR 121.619.

I think it's called Exemption 8657 but I'll have to double check. We are authorized to use it where I work but in practice we don't use it a whole bunch (probably we should use it more with the price of fuel what it is.) Since I'm mostly dispatching international flights these days it's kind of a non-usable exemption for me since flag flights over a certain length are required to have a destination alternate no matter how good the weather is.

We use 8658 domestically in the lower 48. It is no alternate required +/- 1 hour ETA, at least 1,000' ceiling, at least 2sm visibility. There must also be an operational cat 2/3 approach, cat 2/3 qualified crew and aircraft, no TS +/- 1 hour ETA, automatic TAF & METAR updating to the dispatcher, and a system available to the dispatcher graphically showing each flight and current weather.

Looks like (according to the FAA) there are several versions (8653-8658), whereas with 3585, it's 3585 across the board...What's the difference between them? Is the difference just 1-1-1 vs. 1-1-2?

For exemption 3585, it was originally applied for by Peoples Express. Now, 3585 is applied for by the Air Transport Association on behalf of its member carriers, hence its the same 3585 whether you're at Mesaba, Mesa, or Delta. Each carrier, however, can apply their own more restrictive rules to 3585; when I dispatched at AWE, for example, we didnt apply 3585 to high minimums captains at all (a rule I agreed with).

The 1-1-2 exemptions are applied for by the individual carriers, and each letter from the FAA authorizing it are slightly different, owing to the different ways each airline can do it, and their own internal dispatch processes...

DS

For exemption 3585, it was originally applied for by Peoples Express. Now, 3585 is applied for by the Air Transport Association on behalf of its member carriers, hence its the same 3585 whether you're at Mesaba, Mesa, or Delta. Each carrier, however, can apply their own more restrictive rules to 3585; when I dispatched at AWE, for example, we didnt apply 3585 to high minimums captains at all (a rule I agreed with).

The 1-1-2 exemptions are applied for by the individual carriers, and each letter from the FAA authorizing it are slightly different, owing to the different ways each airline can do it, and their own internal dispatch processes...

DS

Sure could have used that a trying to get one of my flights into TUL and LAW today.:banghead:

Sure could have used that a trying to get one of my flights into TUL and LAW today.:banghead:

Plus, keep in mind like the previous poster said, thou shall be at a minimum CAT II capable at where you wish to do the lower alternate requirements, in both airplane, airport, and aircrew.

Back