Unemployment woes...

Airdale

So I've been furloughed since 9/9. Filed for unemployment in New jersey on 9/10. Denied under regular filing, was told I needed to file via a new phone system because I worked "out of state". Filed through the phone system, denied again. Republic didn't pay benefits to New Jersey, so I'm told to file in Indiana.

Filed in Indiana - Denied. I didn't earn enough money while working for Republic to collect. I've filed for a dispute on both unemployment claims. Here it is, 9/29 - 20 days after being laid off and I still haven't collected a DIME from unemployment.

Believe me when I say, my blood is boiling. I am thoroughly pissed off. The Union I paid dues to for 8 months has offered nothing in the way of help to us furloughed pilots. I emailed Republic's HR and was told to give the unemployment offices her number directly so she can try and help me out. She offered her sypathy and said that many of the furloughed pilots are in the same situation.

This is just absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. How is that I've been employed for over 18 months, now I've lost my job and I can't even collect unemployment.

I just applied for jobs at the FAA and I'm a pen mark away from signing back on with the Coast Guard for life term. I am so sick of the crap that has to constantly be dealt with just be an airline pilot. Unbelievable. Finish out my 20yrs with the Feds and give me my pension. I'm sick of this.

So I've been furloughed since 9/9. Filed for unemployment in New jersey on 9/10. Denied under regular filing, was told I needed to file via a new phone system because I worked "out of state". Filed through the phone system, denied again. Republic didn't pay benefits to New Jersey, so I'm told to file in Indiana.

Filed in Indiana - Denied. I didn't earn enough money while working for Republic to collect. I've filed for a dispute on both unemployment claims. Here it is, 9/29 - 20 days after being laid off and I still haven't collected a DIME from unemployment.

Believe me when I say, my blood is boiling. I am thoroughly pissed off. The Union I paid dues to for 8 months has offered nothing in the way of help to us furloughed pilots. I emailed Republic's HR and was told to give the unemployment offices her number directly so she can try and help me out. She offered her sypathy and said that many of the furloughed pilots are in the same situation.

This is just absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. How is that I've been employed for over 18 months, now I've lost my job and I can't even collect unemployment.

I just applied for jobs at the FAA and I'm a pen mark away from signing back on with the Coast Guard for life term. I am so sick of the crap that has to constantly be dealt with just be an airline pilot. Unbelievable. Finish out my 20yrs with the Feds and give me my pension. I'm sick of this.

You're a lowly regioinal FO that doesn't make much money for the Union, they won't be any help. All they can do is send out a letter to make it seem like they're doing something as well as a sticker that says your union supports you in the time of furlough but to have a nice life.

I'm not sure what the problem is though, your company should be paying unemployment insurance and it doesn't matter if you "didn't make enough to collect". I got my unemployment check a week after I was layed off. It's really as simple as them checking your social in the data base to see how much unemployment you company paid and you applying for a weekly check. At least for me it was real easy. Best of luck, I thought you were at Colgan.

Sorry to hear things are rough for ya, brother.

Keep your head up. Things will get better.

How much time do you have?

You're a lowly regioinal FO that doesn't make much money for the Union, they won't be any help.

I am a lowly FO that doesn't make much money for the union.

When I had to resolve a medical dispute with someone in an HR department a few months ago, I called my union's national flight surgeon.

They returned my call 75 minutes later and dealt with a health clinic doctor/AME and the HR department that day.

I know of one MEC that has arranged preferential interviews and open houses in the crewroom at one hub for pilots facing furlough.

That's after all of the furlough mitigation plans which eliminated dozens or perhaps a hundred or two hundred job losses.

Before you sign on that dotted line, consider this. You were a first year FO right? Making 20K? Where CAN'T you go and earn at least that much? Heck, you can earn that delivering pizza or waiting tables. Get a job instructing on the side and look for another opportunity.

It took me 2 months to start getting any type of payment from unemployment and it's just that so many are unemployed right now that it's taking longer and longer to get on "the list". since Bush signed in an extension for those already on employment, it's taking just as long for the paperwork to go thru which is what the hold up is all about.

expect it to take 2 months, if not longer to start getting any type of funding....if you don't have at least 3-6 months saved up, you're gonna be hurting, no doubt about it.

i had my first interview scheduled for wed and it just cancelled due to the city i was applying with starting a hiring freeze. :(

Dave, contact your State Representative IMMEDIATELY and explain to them the situation. This is exactly what they are suppose to do for you as their constituent. Keep on them to investigate this. If your State Representative doesn't do it, contact your House of Representative member.

On APC ( that other forum ) there is a lawyer who setup a thread in the regional section just for people like you who are having problems getting unemployment. Contact him.

Fly freight. I bet you could get a 135 job in a week. Out side of that, there aren't any jobs in New Jersey that you can earn money till you find something you want?

I agree that you should be looking for any type of work right now to get by on. Unemployment checks (once you do start receiving them) will not pay the bills, they only help. Besides, a requirement while on unemployment is to be actively searching for work.

quit mooching off unemployment and go get a job part time job... sickens me there are other things to do temporarily than fly out there and even if u want to fly there are thousands of fbo's to instruct at

My wife, the HR director, says that you need to file where your employer prior to Republic paid the taxes. That is because for benefits applied for in Sept, 2008, the base year is April, 2007 to March, 2008. So, if you started your new job in 2008, you probably were not employed long enough to collect under your new employer because there are minimums you must make in your base year to be eligible. If they don't know about the earnings during the 3 quarters in 2007, then that is why they are saying you didn't earn enough.

Back