Remote Pilot Operator?

fosters

I came across a job posting for an RPO at Raytheon. I understand they just simulate what pilots would say and do for the ATC students? Has anyone been an RPO and know anything about schedule and pay? Thanks

I came across a job posting for an RPO at Raytheon. I understand they just simulate what pilots would say and do for the ATC students? Has anyone been an RPO and know anything about schedule and pay? Thanks

I am currently an RPO in OKC. Our schedule, of course, follows the Academy students' schedules: 0600-1530 and 1530 to midnight. Right now there's a midshift, but that's going away soon. I don't know what Raytheon is planning on paying, but at OU we made between $17-20/hr. Not bad at all for the level of work involved. There's more to the job than just simulating what pilots say, though. You also simulate other ATC facilities and must maintain a fairly high technical competency. Over the time I've worked here, i've seen (just like ATC) that it really is not a job that just anyone off the street can do. I think that's why so many of my fellow RPOs have gone on to be controllers themselves.

I am currently an RPO in OKC. Our schedule, of course, follows the Academy students' schedules: 0600-1530 and 1530 to midnight. Right now there's a midshift, but that's going away soon. I don't know what Raytheon is planning on paying, but at OU we made between $17-20/hr. Not bad at all for the level of work involved. There's more to the job than just simulating what pilots say, though. You also simulate other ATC facilities and must maintain a fairly high technical competency. Over the time I've worked here, i've seen (just like ATC) that it really is not a job that just anyone off the street can do. I think that's why so many of my fellow RPOs have gone on to be controllers themselves.
oh come on, i bet a monkey could do your job :D

Do you have experience flying to know what to do? Or do they teach you?

Do you have experience flying to know what to do? Or do they teach you?

Nope! In fact, if you're lucky while you're at RTF you may get yanked out of your training to go be a pilot for someone else! No experience required:nana2:! No offense SoonerATC. Its more of a jab at the FAA/OU. Sorry but I was paid by the FAA to learn radar, not be a psuedo pilot. That really ticked me off while I was there.

HD

I work at Boston Center as one. 16.60/hr is the new pay starting Oct 1, plus 3.25/hr for benefits.

It's not an easy job for some to learn. We've had people take up to 3 months to get checked out to the level of competency they want... but for anyone with a triple digit IQ, you should be OK.

oh come on, i bet a monkey could do your job :D
:D

Nope! In fact, if you're lucky while you're at RTF you may get yanked out of your training to go be a pilot for someone else! No experience required:nana2:! No offense SoonerATC. Its more of a jab at the FAA/OU. Sorry but I was paid by the FAA to learn radar, not be a psuedo pilot. That really ticked me off while I was there.

No offense taken, but I do maintain not everyone could do it (as simple as it is for the rest of us to do). Some people just cannot grasp the proper phraseology or being able to multi-task.

I work at Boston Center as one. 16.60/hr is the new pay starting Oct 1, plus 3.25/hr for benefits.

Is that under the Raytheon pay scale? I have yet to find out what they're planning on paying us.

Ou was the ones that did the hiring, now raytheon has the contract so you would have to apply with them.
As far as who can do it, sooner is right, people failed the test to be a ghost pilot all the time. Now most of those individuals had no aviation experience and knew none of the phraseology. If you know any phraseology you'd be fine as a ghost pilot.

No offense taken, but I do maintain not everyone could do it (as simple as it is for the rest of us to do). Some people just cannot grasp the proper phraseology or being able to multi-task. Completely agree. You have to be able to type as fast as we can talk and some people talk reeeeeeealy fast.

Is that under the Raytheon pay scale? I have yet to find out what they're planning on paying us.

HiDef,

thats when we just dont answer you until we've completed the reroute (that your d-side was too lazy to put in), your crossing restriction, speed, decent rate, vector to resume the new route you gave us, and the upcoming hold for 10 aircraft you issued 8 minutes ago. and starting that departure climbing to 5000 that we better not forget or the instructor will hang us. oh and the GI message for the ground hold at boston. :panic:

the Department of Labor determines the payscale for RPOs. The new fiscal year pay is 16.60 + 3.25/hr for benefits. Don't count on anything more than that. I believe it varies by locality as well. So OK may be paying less.

Back