How intensive is the commercial aviation degree?

Incus

I'm transferring to UND this spring semester. I'm Coming from Minnesota, so I'm prepared for the absolute hell hole that it is going to be in terms of weather. :D Anyways, I plan to do a double major with computer science as a backup plan to flying. Any info you guys have for the commercial aviation degree would be helpful.

Do you have any ratings/certificates done so far, or are you coming from zero? If you already have stuff done already keep in mind you have to do a "test" course; basically redoing everything you already did.

The commercial aviation degree is easy though. It really isn't that challenging except maybe studying for the stage checks which are a pain. I guess it has to do with your interest level as well. If you are interested 100% in it, it is a lot easier to adsorb all the information. It takes up a lot of your time though, have to go fly right after class etc. The classes are a piece of cake though. CFI I heard is more challenging but more rewarding as well. Good job going for a double major. That is a good move. I am doing the same thing, double major and minor and I should be graduating in 4 1/2 years. (I don't have a job though so I can take 19 credits a semester).

Do you have any ratings/certificates done so far, or are you coming from zero? If you already have stuff done already keep in mind you have to do a "test" course; basically redoing everything you already did.

I have 0 hours put towards my private pilots license.

I don't understand why anyone would still want to get a "Commercial Aviation" degree?....

Because some people like to fly and like to do it in a structured program in which they do it alongside many other people with like minded goals?

I don't understand why anyone would still want to get a "Commercial Aviation" degree?....

It's because you think it matters what you get you Bachelors degree in. Not the case anymore. Unless you pursue an engineering degree it doesn't really matter. The Bachelor of Science you get in aviation is no different then getting a degree in Communications or Psych/soc or Art. Just a liberal arts degree. You can still go to law school or get your MBA by going through the commercial degree i don't think you can consider it putting all your eggs in one basket.

For the record i took the management route

It's because you think it matters what you get you Bachelors degree in.

Actually no! I doesn't matter what your degree is in. If you want to go to the airlines, they don't give a hoot what kind of degree you have. What I was trying to say is, I don't get why anyone would still want to get a 'Commercial Aviation' degree. For one, it has gotten ridiculously expensive, and all this degree teaches you is basically how to fly an airplane. But what are you going to do with that degree when you lose your medical and can't fly anymore? Nobody is hiring? Or if you get furloughed? At least get an Aviation Management degree or other degree you can use as a backup.

Actually no! I doesn't matter what your degree is in. If you want to go to the airlines, they don't give a hoot what kind of degree you have. What I was trying to say is, I don't get why anyone would still want to get a 'Commercial Aviation' degree. For one, it has gotten ridiculously expensive, and all this degree teaches you is basically how to fly an airplane. But what are you going to do with that degree when you lose your medical and can't fly anymore? Nobody is hiring? Or if you get furloughed? At least get an Aviation Management degree or other degree you can use as a backup.

I do have a back up. The computer science field is the anti-thesis to aviation. Computer science has good pay, plenty of jobs, hires straight out of college, you sit in a cubicle all day, etc. The cost of a part 141 FBO where I live is the same as UND and my tuition at the University of Minnesota is several thousands of dollars more than UND a year. In the end, UND is cheaper than it would be to take the FBO route.

I do have a back up. The computer science field is the anti-thesis to aviation. Computer science has good pay, plenty of jobs, hires straight out of college, you sit in a cubicle all day, etc. The cost of a part 141 FBO where I live is the same as UND and my tuition at the University of Minnesota is several thousands of dollars more than UND a year. In the end, UND is cheaper than it would be to take the FBO route.

Do you already have a degree? If so don't go to UND. If you have 0 hours and no degree, you will probably be fine. If you already have your degree go to ATP or CPS or something of that sort.

I'm transferring to UND this spring semester. I'm Coming from Minnesota, so I'm prepared for the absolute hell hole that it is going to be in terms of weather. :D Anyways, I plan to do a double major with computer science as a backup plan to flying. Any info you guys have for the commercial aviation degree would be helpful.

P.S. The UND Avit degree is not intense. UND was easier than high school. All Doc Jensen's classes are good, and from what I have heard CFI courses are good as well.

not a fan of ATP but I'm sure it will save you at least a year or two. I met a guy once that when i asked him where he did his flying he said " i got my certificates at ATP but learned to fly at an FBO in tuvwxyz state. Take it for what you want.

For the record i took the management route[/quote]

Hey Bignellyxx, so just out of curiosity, how come you ended up going the management route? I was thinking about switching from comm avit. to avit. management even though I still want to be a commerical pilot. Would that be a good idea?

P.S. The UND Avit degree is not intense. UND was easier than high school. All Doc Jensen's classes are good, and from what I have heard CFI courses are good as well.

Thanks, this is the input (and answer) I was hoping for. I'm not sure how intense UNDs computer science division is, but U of Minnesota's is intense, so if I do go double degree with aviation/CSCI I want to come out alive. I'm going into my sophmore year. If I already had a college degree UND would be last place I'd go, but that isn't the case, so.

Hey Bignellyxx, so just out of curiosity, how come you ended up going the management route? I was thinking about switching from comm avit. to avit. management even though I still want to be a commerical pilot. Would that be a good idea?
i did the management thing. comm. aviation is a worthless degree. management isn't much better in the grand scheme of things, but it is marginally better

So since you did the management thing, did you just end up getting your CFI, CFII, and MEI anyways to build time? And did you take those as electives?

So since you did the management thing, did you just end up getting your CFI, CFII, and MEI anyways to build time? And did you take those as electives?
not to build time. i got all my instructor certs because i genuinely wanted to be an instructor. I don't see instructing as a means to an end, unfortunately a lot of people do. Am i going to instruct as a career. probably not. will i continue to instruct on the side, you bet!

Oh I see. Yeah a lot of people sure do. So what would be my chances of getting hired not even necessarily by a regional but possibly even flying like part 91 or 135 somewhere else straight out of UND with a Aviation Management and around 275 hours?

Back