Fitness/Weightlifting

RS1

Do any of you airline/freight guys have time/resources to keep fit, or even hold a weight lifting regimen? All I would need is 3 days per week spread out, and a weight room... Curious if anyone does this, or if most hotels you guys stay at have a good gym, or if it's even possible?

Yes, it's possible. Most hotels do have a "fitness room", so to speak. Granted, some are no more than a few treadmills/stairmasters/bikes and maybe a few free weights, but at least it's something.

Also, look around your crashpad area (if you plan on getting one) for a gym. I joined Bally and got a pretty good deal on a nationwide membership.

If all else fails, there's always space in your hotel room to do push-ups and crunches. :)

I do a lot of sit ups and push ups. I've started doing my sit-ups differently where I only go halfway down, hold it for 5 to 20 seconds, and then come up. I try to hit the fitness center at the hotel or crew apartment up on the weekends while doing laundry. I'd do a little lifting, some jogging on the treadmill, and about 10 miles on the stationary bike.

I usually exercise in my room at night, and if I have layovers during the day I go running as long as the neighborhood isn't too ghetto. Inside your room, you can do burpies (google it), pushups (I like to do a modified push-up, resting my feet on the bed). I always lay a towel on the floor because who knows what nasty stuff is on that carpet. There is another toy I've been thinking of getting as well, someone else here mentioned it: http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/page/000-94127/PROD/TSPABX ... Maybe for xmas :)

yes, very possible but your schedule will have an influence on your regimen. I typically lift 4days straight with a varied split and work 3 and get at least a run in on the 3-day trip. You need a good number or days off to make that work though. I'm a big fan of heavy weights instead of just bodyweight.

yes, very possible but your schedule will have an influence on your regimen. I typically lift 4days straight with a varied split and work 3 and get at least a run in on the 3-day trip. You need a good number or days off to make that work though. I'm a big fan of heavy weights instead of just bodyweight.

Same here... I'd need a squat rack / bench press at least...

Not an pro pilot yet, however, I would recomend crossfit.com's workouts or fatalfitness.com's. Alot of just body weight exercises that provide an intense workout and make you look good, fairly quick (keep in mind diet and dedication are key to that).

My undergrad degree is in Kinesiology, and I would be more than happy to help anyone out who has questions in regards to health and fitness. Do you have anything specific you want more info. about Dan?

Being able to workout is part of QOL, IMO. I usually have three days a week to workout. I don't see a problem with time to workout in this field of work, if its your choice. In fact, anything that u make a part of your lifestyle, u will accomplish one way or another.

My undergrad degree is in Kinesiology, and I would be more than happy to help anyone out who has questions in regards to health and fitness. Do you have anything specific you want more info. about Dan?

Mine too....where'd you go to school? Penn State, here.

Being able to workout is part of QOL, IMO. I usually have three days a week to workout. I don't see a problem with time to workout in this field of work, if its your choice. In fact, anything that u make a part of your lifestyle, u will accomplish one way or another.

yes but will be their also be time to eat healthy? I need to eat at least 5 times per day and drink lots of water. Airport food is evil.

It can be done. It's just going to cost you. The salad's going to be more expensive than the burger. The fruit cup's going to cost you more than fries and M&M pie put together. The bottled water's going to run you more than the fountain drink.:panic:

Mine too....where'd you go to school? Penn State, here.

Awesome! It's not too common that you find another person that majored in Kinesiology. What subdivision did you choose? For example, exercise science, atheletic training, adapted physical activity, etc.

I went to Cal State University Northridge for their Exercise Science program.

Ignore everything you read here or anywhere else on the internet, go buy Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, read it, memorize it, do it and come back in 24 months with your results.

Awesome! It's not too common that you find another person that majored in Kinesiology. What subdivision did you choose? For example, exercise science, atheletic training, adapted physical activity, etc.

I went to Cal State University Northridge for their Exercise Science program.

My subdivision was Science and Medical w/ an emphasis in Biomechanics.

My subdivision was Science and Medical w/ an emphasis in Biomechanics.

I liked Biomechanics a lot. I had two semesters of it and enjoyed it the whole time. My teacher was a huge part of the picture though. He was very passionate about biomechanics and always had real life explanations/scenarios for us to learn from.

Back