Great Lakes

taildragger173

I was wondering if anyone had any info on Great Lakes? I know there pay is quite low but considering the amount of airlines furloughing right now they are hiring. What is the QOL like? Upgrade? Reputation in the industry and so on? Im just trying to gather information right now.

Thanks.

I hear they have a lot of furloughed Frontier, United, etc. guys coming over right now, so I'm not sure what their competitive mins. are right now or if they are still hiring guys with 700 hrs. Also, Lynx (Frontier) is also still hiring.

If I had made it to United already, I'd be hard pressed to accept a job making sub $20 an hour. I love aviation, but not that much.

If I had made it to United already, I'd be hard pressed to accept a job making sub $20 an hour. I love aviation, but not that much.

Yep.

There is also the possibility that people are simply going there to continue their health insurance and to keep current in a multi-engine twin airplane while they wait to hear back from other places that they are more genuinely interested in.

They called me to interview last week. Surprises me that I got a call seeing that ex Frontier and United guys are going there with as low time as I am (a little over 1100/100).

Still hiring with about a class each month. The competitive minimums have been steadily increasing over the last few months and many former Lakers have come back as captains, very short on captains at the moment.

QOL doesn't really exist as you'll be expected to work quite a bit (many flying 110+ month) pay is minimal and dont expect any glorious overnights as you'll be frequenting places in Kansas you have never heard of.

Lakes is a unique place for better of for worse, you'll leave with a handful of stories and some of the best flying you've ever had during your career... for some its a great opportunity if you can pull it off, otherwise look elsewhere if your hoping to support a family with the minimal pay.

As far as Domiciles go, DEN and STL are it for the moment but could see STL shut down soon, ABQ and MKE are currently TDY lines so that can help pad the pay-check.

Pilots have moved onto just about everywhere from here.

I guarantee that 15 month contract and QOL is keeping most away. And from talking to a few furloughed major guys they would be making twice as much monthly on unemployment than actually flying for what regional pilots make. I guess if you're from DEN or STL, as many pilots are, it could be a good gig.

Colgan had at least 1 UAL A320 FO have his resume walked in during this past wave.

Two airtran guys and one from spirit interviewed with me.... interesting guys to talk to.... I gathered that they just wanted to stay current in a flying position.... good people to run the sim gamut with I suppose.

Still hiring with about a class each month. The competitive minimums have been steadily increasing over the last few months and many former Lakers have come back as captains, very short on captains at the moment.

If I were hired as an FO, I'd be extremely pissed if CAs senior to me quit, went to another airline, then came back and went right into the left seat. Those guys should have to start over just like anyone else hired off that street.

If I were hired as an FO, I'd be extremely pissed if CAs senior to me quit, went to another airline, then came back and went right into the left seat. Those guys should have to start over just like anyone else hired off that street.

Come back as street CA's ... right to the bottom of the Sr. List, sorry didn't specify. For the FO's that were hired prior, they would have CA's underneath them when they upgraded.

Great Mistakes?

yeahthat.gif

How somebody can live off that payscale is beyond me.

Nah man, its not about that. Just gotta get your 1000tpic and you'll be out man. Common man, its all good man. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

There is a bright side to this.............they are recieving a paycheck. Isn't it Gulfstream that makes you pay to sit right seat?

Does anyone know what the interview is like? Is there a sim?

I got a call about 4 or 5 months back. It was the standard interview scenario with a sim ride. I turned down the interview when I found out I would have to pay for my flight to and from DEN which seemed strange since they have "agreements" with United and Frontier. They also don't pay you a salary or hotel while you are in training. I am just a cfi so I can't afford all the expenses that come with working there. I will say they seemed like a nice group of people. They didn't sound very surprised at all when I called and respectfully declined the interview.

Back