USA = Cactus

Vector4Food

This job would be easier without all the airplanes
I know its been covered.

But from an ATC standpoint, what an idiotic callsign change.

I asked one USA pilot why the change now and he said it was managments decision to apease the America West guys.

Well for christ sake, tell them to take their ball and go home, be glad you've got a freakin job.

For the last week it's either:

A.) "Us Air 76... corection Cactus good day

B.) US er Cactus 769 goodday

C.) Cactus 769 contact center 132.2.... Cactus 769 Center...... Cactus 769 center.... "US Air slash Cactus 769 Center!"

If they wanted to change the damned callsign at least change the mnemonic from USA to CAC or something else... looking at USA on the radar its almost impossible to not call you guys US Air.

At least when My Travel/Kestrel formed up the mnemonic wasnt so glaringly obvious.

It would be like Delta/Northwest flights having a DAL identifier with a "Northwest" callsign. Idiotic, not safe, and judging from pilots comments, not welcomed either.

I know its been covered.

I asked one USA pilot why the change now and he said it was managments decision to apease the America West guys.

Well for christ sake, tell them to take their ball and go home, be glad you've got a freakin job.

C.) Cactus 769 contact center 132.2.... Cactus 769 Center...... Cactus 769 center.... "US Air slash Cactus 769 Center!"

If they wanted to change the damned callsign at least change the mnemonic from USA to CAC or something else... looking at USA on the radar its almost impossible to not call you guys US Air.

At least when My Travel/Kestrel formed up the mnemonic wasnt so glaringly obvious.

It would be like Delta/Northwest flights having a DAL identifier with a "Northwest" callsign. Idiotic, not safe, and judging from pilots comments, not welcomed either.

:yeahthat:

Friday we were heading south out of the midwest and the freq had gone fairly quiet after a few 'USAir... er.. Cactus 123" etc. I asked the controller about it from their point of view and she said it wasn't so much the new callsign for them but that they still show up as USA in the computer and on the screens. Yes.. minor issue but it seems the issue is beyond the cockpit.

In six months.. it will be just another sore point to remind pilots why they give money to lawyers.

Out of CLT, at least after the first day or so, it hasn't been too bad. Most of the mistakes have been on the ATC end, which makes sense because they've still got the USA data tag, and the guys on the airplane have a big sticky note that says "CACTUS".

There was a ZDC controller who had no idea what to call them and aked if anybody had figured out a way to remember that they were now called Cactus. My FO was going to suggest to just remember they were a bunch of pricks, but decided that might not be so good over the radio.

The display is what the confusing part is. They should have them all be AWE which is what Cactus is/was.

Cactus is easier to say than US Air though :)

With all the pushing and shoving and internal strife, I thought FUBAR was appropriate and would even add a bit of humor to the fray while ensuring both pilot groups would have 1) something they agree on and 2) a callsign that is company neutral or specific, your choice.

I know its been covered.

It's amazing there have been no errors due to this non sense. I have been amending the flight plans to AWE from USA so at least the data block represents the callsign. I wonder what tool bag decided to continue to file flight plans as USA ... just file as AWE.

The display is what the confusing part is. They should have them all be AWE which is what Cactus is/was.

A lot easier to say and you are all right, the data block is a major pain in the tushie. The worst part is running triple ILS PRM approaches, getting the call sign right, as you try to jam him in an exact 6 mile hole, and the only thing on freq. you hear is crickets.

The worst part is running triple ILS PRM approaches, getting the call sign right, as you try to jam him in an exact 6 mile hole, and the only thing on freq. you hear is crickets.

Just wait til all the NW guys start missing the "Delta" calls.

A GENOT came out today stating that affective 9/19 USAir 3 letter ID will now be AWE. That should hopefully help to alleviate much of the confusion...

Out of CLT, at least after the first day or so, it hasn't been too bad. Most of the mistakes have been on the ATC end, which makes sense because they've still got the USA data tag, and the guys on the airplane have a big sticky note that says "CACTUS".

So who sez low tech is a bad thing?

Round dials for iron pilots.. that's what I'm sayin'

Magenta line pfffffffft:nana2:

It's amazing there have been no errors due to this non sense. I have been amending the flight plans to AWE from USA so at least the data block represents the callsign. I wonder what tool bag decided to continue to file flight plans as USA ... just file as AWE.

So why didn't Brett have to change his name? Same thing isn't it? :laff:

Far-ve Far-ve, Brett Brett Brett

Back