Color Vision Letter of Evidence - Status

In the UK, there is currently a research project underway to use a computer generated color identification test for aviation. As research is extended, it is possible that in the future they may limit the alternate color vision tests available. For now, the ones listed by the FAA, Farnsworth Lantern; OPTEC 900 Color Vision Test; Keystone Orthoscope; Keystone Telebinocular; LKC Technologies, Inc., APT-5 Color Vision Tester; OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester (Model Nos. 2000PM, 2000PAME, and 2000PI); Titmus Vision Tester; Titmus II Vision Tester (Model Nos. TII and TIIS); Titmus 2 Vision Tester (Model Nos. T2A and T2S); Titmus i400, are acceptable. We will watch the literature and keep you informed.

In the UK, there is currently a research project underway to use a computer generated color identification test for aviation. As research is extended, it is possible that in the future they may limit the alternate color vision tests available. For now, the ones listed by the FAA, Farnsworth Lantern; OPTEC 900 Color Vision Test; Keystone Orthoscope; Keystone Telebinocular; LKC Technologies, Inc., APT-5 Color Vision Tester; OPTEC 2000 Vision Tester (Model Nos. 2000PM, 2000PAME, and 2000PI); Titmus Vision Tester; Titmus II Vision Tester (Model Nos. TII and TIIS); Titmus 2 Vision Tester (Model Nos. T2A and T2S); Titmus i400, are acceptable. We will watch the literature and keep you informed.

Does this mean that if they limited these tests, would that apply to those who had already used the alternate tests, or just to future applicants?

There is also promising evidence that gene therapy will cure color blindness in humans. It's worked in apes, and one of the researchers I have been corresponding with says human trials are 5 to 6 years away. Maybe one day this won't be an issue for us.

I'm not the Doc, but after the FedEx accident the NTSB recommended that all the current color screening methods (including the FALANT) be evaluated and possibly removed as an alternate test. Here is the correspondence between the FAA and NTSB regarding the NTSB's recommendation. The bottom line is that the FAA is still researching the issue.

From the NTSB website:

Safety Recommendation History for A-04-047 FAA

Response Date:
9/13/2004 From:
Addressee Response:
Letter Mail Controlled 9/22/2004 9:38:22 AM MC# 2040571 The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has reviewed the Federal Express accident and the two other accidents in the Board's database where pilots with valid medical qualifications were involved in accidents where deficient color vision was cited as a contributing cause. On August 5, 1980, a Navy F-4J was lost when a severely color deficient pilot failed to interpret correctly the colored navigation lights of other aircraft in the area, leading to the false impression of an impending collision. On August 29, 1992, the pilot of a Mooney 20F, with a "waiver for partial color-blindness to red and green," was startled by a near miss, and decided to land on the first runway he had in sight. The runway he chose was marked ''closed'' with orange crosses on the soil 50 feet beyond each end. The pilot stated that he had checked the NOTAMs and was aware that the N-S runway was closed. The Board listed his limited ability to detect the orange closed marking as a factor. The FAA recognizes that color vision testing methods and the relevance of color vision deficiencies to aviation safety are controversial, both in the United States and worldwide. The FAA is also aware that efforts are underway in some countries to assess color vision testing methods for airmen and possibly develop a color vision test that may be more appropriate than those presently in use. The FAA accepts several color vision screening tests for airmen and employs practical testing with signal lights to determine whether an airman should be permitted to perform aviation duties without limitations. While the FAA does not believe the above mentioned accidents provide compelling evidence that the current color vision discrimination tests are deficient, because a number of these tests were validated years ago and the demands for color vision perception in aviation are changing, the FAA believes it is appropriate to conduct the research recommended by the Board. The FAA anticipates that the research necessary to identify, develop, and validate a new color vision screen that is in compliance with existing Federal regulations will be a substantial effort. Careful consideration will be given to the added risk associated with any performance differences between pilots with normal color vision and those with varying degrees of color vision deficiency. In pursuing this research, FAA must consider other safety research priorities and the availability of resources. The following is a tentative schedule for pursuing the research initiative: · Conduct an extensive review of the literature related to color vision and performance on color-coded displays, with particular attention to the flight environment. (Estimated time for completion is 6 months.) · Establish a group of subject matter experts from the aviation community to review existing and emerging aviation displays and the flight environment to identify systematically the use of color, to identify instances where color is used as a non-redundant cue, and determine whether pilots who have a color vision deficiency may respond in a manner that may compromise safety. (Estimated time for completion is 1 year.) · Use results of the review and analysis to develop a research study that assesses the ability of color vision deficient individuals to respond to information from cockpit displays and the aviation environment, as well as respond to simulated red-white VASI/PAPI lights under time constricted conditions. (Estimated time for completion is 2.5 years.) · These results, along with those of research currently ongoing in other countries, will provide the necessary information regarding the modification of existing standards and the development of a revised testing protocol, including practical tests. (Estimated time for completion is 2.5 years) I will keep the Board informed of the FAA's progress on these safety recommendations.

Response Date:
1/12/2005 From:
NTSB Response:
Pending the results of the FAA's color vision testing research program and appropriate revisions to the color vision testing protocols used for recurrent medical examinations and certifications, Safety Recommendations A-04-46 and -47 are classified "Open--Acceptable Response."

Which is interesting because the guy didn't get his FAA medical based on an alternative test - he got it because he was a former Navy pilot and that was good enough for his color vision not to be tested.

Another example of an AME not doing what is required by the FAA, a color vision test at every medical exam unless otherwise exempted. I hate to say it but there are some docs out there who are sloppy.

I think a panic attack would warrant an emergency. Nothing scares me more than near mid-airs.

I've been scared in a plane a few times, and I would wager that most pilots have. Being scared should not directly result in ripping the gear off an airplane.

Thanks for seeing the Light! I knew you were better than the last post, defending the Feds Against Aviation! hahha

In the correspondance with the NTSB, the FAA is claiming that their methods of testing (plate test, FALANT, etc.) are adequate for detecting those with color deficiencies that could impact safety. It was the NTSB that believes the FALANT is not satisfactory.

The ex-Naval aviator passed the FALANT but had a color deficiency that was (may I say) an undisputed factor in the FedEx accident. It will be interesting to see if this results in the FALANT (and other tests) being excluded as a screening tool.

For that reason, I think it is in the best interest of those who may have a borderline color vision deficiency to get the medical flight test done now.

The ex-Naval aviator passed the FALANT but had a color deficiency that was (may I say) an undisputed factor in the FedEx accident. It will be interesting to see if this results in the FALANT (and other tests) being excluded as a screening tool.

I think that is saying a bit too much. If this guy was so color "blind" that he couldn't distinguish 4 red lights from 2 red, 2 white, I submit he could never pass "legally" a FALANT Test. I may have my facts of the accident wrong however.

As I see this, we have a handful of aviators who made very bad mistakes, I fault no one for making mistakes this is a very unforgiving thing we do, BUT these few have chosen to lay blame on their color deficient vision instead of where it belongs, their lack of proper ADM.

Just double checking, I found this article, note what the lawyer says:

And Don Maciejewski, an aviation lawyer for the pilots, said the crash probably was caused by malfunctioning warning lights. He said Frye has a "blue-green color problem" that would not affect his ability to see red.

Not to kick a dead horse here, not sure if this has been asked, if I were to retake the origional plate test and pass would I have my restrictions lifted permanently?

A restriction would not be placed on the medical. You must take the color vision test every time you take a medical unless you have a Letter of Evidence from the FAA.

I was at Mordor (CAMI in OKC) last week and noticed a room with a sign that said "color vision lab" I asked one of the staff what was going on in there and they said that they were working on some sort of color vision screening software (which seems strange given computer resolution issues and what not). I guess the woman writing it was sent to work for the Nuclear Regulator Commission for a temp assignment - but I got the feeling that it's a high priority for them. Couldn't get any additional information out of them, including which car in the parking lot belonged to Warren Silberman

Doc, what do you mean by "atc computerized testing?" Is that for applicants/controllers? A new way of testing for the newbie's/existing guys?

I had ZERO problems with any of the sims in OKC - and the red/black pens...absolutely no problems. It's that dang Ishihara that kills me.

I just heard they were looking into new ways to test to take into account the new displays with multiple colors. This is probably a long way off and I have no idea of what they are planning. I do know the Europeans are also looking at a compter generated color vision test and it is in trial right now in the UK.

Hi All,

Since the new FAA policy went in effect in July regarding the Color Vision Letter of Evidence, has anyone successfully obtained a first class certificate LOE? If yes, how tough was it? If no, how realistic is it for someone to obtain one?

I'm a little concerned about the actual medical flight test requirements. As a civilian, I'm trying to get the medical certificate issues out of the way before investing in flight school. With that said, does that mean I have to rent a pilot and a plane to fly me and the examiner to complete the tests? If that's the case, does anyone know how much that'll cost?

Thanks in advance!
MT

I just have a quick question. Are there different plates for the pseudoisochromatic color plate test? As in could a person not just memorize the numbers?

I just have a quick question. Are there different plates for the pseudoisochromatic color plate test? As in could a person not just memorize the numbers?

There are different series of plates available. The proper way to give the test is to display the numbers randomly. The problem with memorizing the numbers is when the AME retires or you go to a new AME they may have a different color vision test available. An example of this was the fellow referred to us for the Farnsworth lantern test who had 10,000 (count them - 10,000) hours of flight time and could not pass either the color plate test or the Farnsworth lantern test. (He took a signal light gun test but I do not know if he passed it). What do you do when you are 50 and your career suddenly disappears?

How in the world did this Pilot with 10,000 hours survive this long with such a dangerous and debilitating disability? Get him out of the skies ASAP aahha (nervous laugh):eek:

Back