Going in for my 1st class medical on Monday...

DLwannabe

So I am going in for my 1st class medical on Monday...this is my first one. I am going to start taking flight lessons soon and I figured I would just get the 1st class instead of only a 3rd class. Quick question...does the AME give me the medical certificate and the student pilot certificate or what? What should I ask for when I go in??? What will the flight school need???

This is the "off topic" forum. You should post questions like this in the general forum.

You will get both a medical and a student pilot certificate. It is on the same piece of paper. The doctor's office will help you fill out the necessary paperwork.

Welcome to the forum!

Honestly, I would just get a third class medical if you are just starting your flight training. There is really no need to pay the cost differential for a first class medical. It doesn't get you anything more than what a third will get you for training. Unless you want to know you can pass a first class.

Honestly, I would just get a third class medical if you are just starting your flight training. There is really no need to pay the cost differential for a first class medical. It doesn't get you anything more than what a third will get you for training. Unless you want to know you can pass a first class.

The difference is not really that big. I think it was 15 extra for mine. Does not make any difference as far as training goes but it was nice to know there was one less road block in the way.

Good luck on the training and have fun!

I am just getting a 1st class just so I know that I can pass it...its something I dont have to worry about later down the road. So I go in and they automatically give me both...or do I have to tell them thats what I need? Also, I filled out online on the FAA website a form and they gave me a confirmation number to give to the AME so he can access my info. Whats that about???

I am just getting a 1st class just so I know that I can pass it...its something I dont have to worry about later down the road. So I go in and they automatically give me both...or do I have to tell them thats what I need? Also, I filled out online on the FAA website a form and they gave me a confirmation number to give to the AME so he can access my info. Whats that about???

Let them know you are a student pilot looking to get a first class medical (not a third) and fill out the appropriate paper work. They'll take care of the rest. Your medical will also serve as your Student Pilot License.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to take the 1st class medical the first time around (then just take the 3rd or 2nd class as appropriate until you really need the 1st class again). If you're going to dump a bunch of money into flight training, in anticipation of doing this for a living, you may as well know off the bat whether or not you can pass the 1st class before you throw all that money away on advanced certificates/ratings.

Is the 1st class the one that they give you all those shots with rusty, hooked, barbed, shanked needles?

Back