Mounting Camera in cockpit..

youngflyer

I feel that I would benefit from recording my flight lessons/solo flights with a video camera from the back of the aircraft so I could observe myself, and the cockpit of the aircraft. I figure if I have any problems it will be easier to analyze. Any ideas of how to mount a camera there? It is a PA-28-161 BTW.. Thanks!

I feel that I would benefit from recording my flight lessons/solo flights with a video camera from the back of the aircraft so I could observe myself, and the cockpit of the aircraft. I figure if I have any problems it will be easier to analyze. Any ideas of how to mount a camera there? It is a PA-28-161 BTW.. Thanks!

krazy-glue.jpg

2 drops should do it. :)

To be quite honest, I don't see how recording yourself getting lessons would be much benefit. But what do I know? If you think it would help, go for it.

It is a PA-28-161 BTW.. Thanks!
Jeez, how much does that thing run you per hour? I keep hearing about guys getting their privates in PA-28s and it continues to awe me..

Use a tripod with the two front legs forward and parallel and the third in the back shortened and sticking on the back seat. Strap down the tripod using the seatbelts from the back seat. I've posted several vids using that setup and it works like a charm. Put the camera as high as possible near the ceiling, and mess around with it to get the best angle. It'll take some trial and errors.
Here is a link to how it looks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eblVIpdb1z8

Sounds pie in the sky. What will you observe? You changing frequencies, straight and level for 40 minutes, the odd uncoordinated turn? Sounds like a borefest!! I'm sure your CFI is better placed to observe during dual and offer advice. Use your ground time for ground work - get ready for the oral and written.
By all means, take a few snaps, maybe a litte video during landing or whatever as long as it is not a distraction.

I tried it right after my private pilot, not much to see unless the camera is perfectly placed, focused, etc....

I have a windshield suction cup mount so it was looking right over the nose.

About the only thing you could really learn from it was that your landings sucked.....and I could figure that out on my own.

Because with so many places offering 172s and 152s that are typically substantially less expensive than the Piper, it seems obvious to train with the Cessnas.

The PA-28 and the 172 are almost exactly the same cost and performance.

The PA-28 and the 172 are almost exactly the same cost and performance.
Really? I guess I'm just basing it on my flight school, then, where it is substantially more expensive.

Apologies to any PA-28 fans for the unintentional bashing.

Really? I guess I'm just basing it on my flight school, then, where it is substantially more expensive.

lol none taken I was just curious because they are the same price around me.

As to the camera what everyone else said seems like good advice. Probably not going to help you to much but it will give you some cool videos to keep.

I got my PPL in a PA-28 and it was the same price as the school's only 172. I just preferred the Piper. (Not Cessna-bashing by any means, just a personal preference. :) )

Our Archers and our Warrior are cheaper than our Cessnas. The thing with them is push forward houses get bigger, pull back houses get smaller....Keep pulling and they get bigger again.

I filmed this video with a suction cup mount on the rear window: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP-lHZie0o4

Back