45 dead as jet swerves off Madrid airport runway

Eh, the U.S. will send a investigation party to this accident because it was a U.S.-made aircraft involved. I don't think they get involved in every accident worldwide.

They don't get involved with every accident, they go when the foreign countries ask for them only because they are the best at what they do.

Of course we have a very logical and informative passenger's view of the MD-82:

I feel so upset for the passengers who died or were injured and their relatives.
I have twice travelled on an MD-82 and found both experiences worrying. The planes were incredibly noisy and shaky on takeoff and landing and the flight was not smooth. I did not feel safe, especially as I had my daughters with me and I was concerned for their safety and was relieved to disembark. It felt like a very outdated aircraft.
- Sandy, Poole, UK, 21/8/2008 00:55

its times like this that make you realise how lucky we are, and to embrace what we have while we still have it, RIP to all who didnt make it =[

They have a picture of the aircraft with the left engine supposably smoking - but the wreckage picture is of an aircraft painted in the Star Alliance livery (different from the smoking photo). What gives?

Where do you see that photo?

Where do you see that photo?

article-1047380-025C786F00000578-984_468x341.jpg

A tower crane moves the wreckage of the Spanair aircraft that crashed on take off-from Barajas Airport, Madrid

and the smoking engine video pic looks to have been removed but the plane they had in the video pic looked like this:

article-1047380-025C998200000578-784_468x381.jpg

looks like they have a few different liveries for the MD8*'s:
View attachment 6388

Dreadful news.. :( RIP to the victims, strength to their loved ones, and peace to the survivors who have to live with this tragedy.

Remember, and I can't say it enough, live every day like it's your last because once again a tragedy like this just proves you just never know.

Remember, and I can't say it enough, live every day like it's your last because once again a tragedy like this just proves you just never know.

That and (I'm not implying that anyone here doesn't, or that the crew in this case wasn't) but take your job very seriously.

I have flown on Spanairs maddogs probably 30 to 35times in the last 11 years. Kinda an eery feeling. This is really really sad. God bless em.

Spain investigators have watched the airport video of the plane trying to take off before it crashed. They say there was no explosion on either engine during the TO roll. Apparently they aborted the first take-off due to a faulty temprature gauge and turned it off before the 2nd take-off.

I know that the NTSB goes to a lot of accidents worldwide. I also know that ALPA has a team of people across airlines that can be dispatched to an accident to help with the investigation. My question is, does ALPA send a team of MD-80 experts to Spain to assist the NTSB and Spanish Authorities with this accident? I am wondering because ALPA has got to be prettty good in this role and the fact that the airline was a codeshare partner of American Carriers that are ALPA lines. Just curious. RIP for the victims.

My wife read a news report in Spanish Press over the phone. Not too sure of the source, but it was quoting some Spanish Aviacion Civil official. According to this article apparently they are saying that they had an uncontained engine failure and stuff flying out of the nacelle "damaged the rudder".

Dont know if that means loss of all hydraulic systems, cut a cable run to the PCUs or what .

The tone of the article seem to state that the pilots were not to be faulted. Losing an engine and the rudder would be pretty hard to overcome.

On the MD-82, the only hydraulic controls the aircraft has is a hydraulically boosted (not necessarily controlled) rudder and flight/ground spoilers. Argh, I should know this stuff off of the top of my head having flown it for a billion years, but I think I'm going to have to resort to my manuals again... Whereeverinthehell those things are.

Spain investigators have watched the airport video of the plane trying to take off before it crashed. They say there was no explosion on either engine during the TO roll. Apparently they aborted the first take-off due to a faulty temprature gauge and turned it off before the 2nd take-off.

Yep, saw that as well. The article I read from a British paper siad they went back to the gate for an hour, the mechanic came and while not saying what he may have done, they mentioned the a/c was signed off by him and cleared to go.

Back